Center channel speaker help?!?!?!

HiFiJeff

So I just finished my two channel set up and am VERY happy! Done! Finally! Well for the most part. LOL. I might venture into some open baffle speakers but that's another story.
But for now, I am turning my attention back to my home theater. Just bought a new projector and a 120inch screen and want sound to go with the big picture. And I am starting wit the absolute most important part of a home theater system, at least IMO, the center channel. I want to build the rest of my speakers around the quality of the center. upload_2019-2-6_12-3-51.png

I want a good quality center but want obviously want good value as well. So far I have these in mind.

RSL
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg23-monitor-center-channel/
I love their subwoofers so I am assuming their speakers are equally as good. Thy get good reviews on line.

Another company is HTD.

https://www.htd.com/Level-THREE-Center-Channel-Speaker
They too get great on line reviews.

Also thinking about Klipsch or Canton that AC4Less sells and they rave about them.

Any suggestions? Obviously I want crystal clear dialogue, but I want it to sound natural and weighty, not thin. Not bright but detailed. It's also not a huge room, 10x18. Power is still up in the air so if I got a center channel that needs more power because of low sensitivity rating, that's fine.

Last edited:
That is a good size for a room; not too small, not too big. My only suggestion is to match the front speakers. The RSL 23 can be used for Center, Left and Right. RSL also sells a complete package CG3 5.1.4 Atmos that should provide good matching with all the speakers in the system. Good luck. Let us know how it all turns out.

FWICT you're not using the Zu speakers for the HT system. The first thing you might want to think about is budget. Also, if you're starting with a center speaker you'll likely want to get the rest of the system from the same maker to maintain the same timbre. My preference would 5 center speakers with the nominal center upright to match the others. This is more important for multichannel music than home theater.

I'd lean towards the RSL only because there appear to be more professional reviews with actual measurements, but have not heard speakers from either brand.

Another place to look would be craigslist or the thrifts. Many decent HT speaker systems can be found there due the WAF and general inclination to simplify.

FWICT you're not using the Zu speakers for the HT system. The first thing you might want to think about is budget. Also, if you're starting with a center speaker you'll likely want to get the rest of the system from the same maker to maintain the same timbre. My preference would 5 center speakers with the nominal center upright to match the others. This is more important for multichannel music than home theater.

I'd lean towards the RSL only because there appear to be more professional reviews with actual measurements, but have not heard speakers from either brand.

Another place to look would be craigslist or the thrifts. Many decent HT speaker systems can be found there due the WAF and general inclination to simplify.

Correct. ZU's are strictly in my two channel system.
And of course I will get matching speakers to go a long with the center for proper timbre matching. Although IMO, I have used different centers and L&R speakers and it didn't really bother me.

And having professional reviews with measurements is nice but for sure isn't a deciding factor. A lot of GREAT speakers out there without reviews or measurements.

I keep going back to Klipsch as well. From everything I have read, over the past few years their stuff has gotten real good. And very inexpensive for the quality you get. Amazon has this center channel on sale right now for $100 less than everywhere else. $149! That's nothing. I could always return it if I didn't like it, I don't think that's going to be the case though. I am sure I would get it hooked up and be like wow, great HT doesn't have to cost you your life savings.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FK41FGL/ref=dp_cerb_2

They wouldn't qualify for THX use. To limited of a dynamic range and not enough controlled directivity.. 120 inch screen mean you are probably sitting around 10 to 16 ft. You loose over 10 db dynamic range at that distance. But you will have to decide how loud you like to listen. I very seldom have peaks over 114 db at 4 ft, which works out to about 105 db in my environment at 16 ft. But everyone deal is different. We need more information. Seating distance a layout plan or sketch would be worth a 1000 words. I would go with 3 Hersey's for the front, and something from the HT section for the sides and rears. My favorite Subs are M&K, the people Skywalker sound uses as well as Disney, but they ain't cheap. My son uses the Big Klipsch 15 inch subs with his RF 7 II speakers and there is plenty of bass. But I don't like two way Klipsch HT speakers. Thats why I recommend the Hersey's. Remember the three front speakers should be identical. I use full range speakers so I don't have to compromise the stereo sound with sub woofers. Another choice might be 2 Cornwalls for the front L&R and a Heresy for the center. with no subs. Save a lot of money that way. Rear and side speakers is the question. Maybe RP 402s or 502s for the side an rears. You could probably get by with 100 watt per channel AVR. I use 200 watt per channel Mac 207 amps. They put out about 260 all channels operating simultaneously. and have power guard to protect my drivers. Remember I said I very seldom use over 50 to 100 watts. Most of the time loud passages average level is 2 watts or about 90 db at my listening position with all speakers operating. You didn't say anything about Atmos, I guess you need to decode it but I don't see the use of ceiling speakers if the sides and rear are installed properly. You don't see movie theaters using ceiling speakers. But they do use a different mix of sound than we do at home. The Heritage line now has a new tweeter that will handle more power and reaches above 20 KHZ if thats important to you. I don't know if they are available on the new heresy yet. The tweeter is available on the rest of the heritage line. For a little less dynamic range you could use a Forte for the front and a Heresy for the center. They all use similar drivers with the horns being just slightly different and the smaller speakers using 12's rather than 15 inch woofers.. K;ipsch and JBL are my two favorites for HT that are currently being produced today. They are the best. I didn't speak f JBL because the cost can be significally higher than Klipsch for just a we bit better performance. If you want to get involved with JBLs Synthesis line, then money is no object.

Would love to hear three DD67000 in a HT setting some time. But realize a Cornwall is 5 db more efficient covers the same range and cost 10 times less. But then JBL guarantees less than 2% distortion from the loudspeakers.

Last edited:
I'm using Klipsch in my modest 5.1 HT. Front L/R: R-15M. Center: R-25C. Surround: R-14M. These have served me well powered by a Denon AVR-E300.

Well I played movies on this set up all weekend and the last couple of nights. It seems like they are pretty good. At least for now. They most likely will end up in my living room system. My theater room is a work in progress and ever changing until I get it right, the way I did with my two channel set up. But I have a feeling that they might workout just fine once I get all my surround speakers and newer Avr that supports 9-11 channels.

How do you get a center with enough volume for such a large room?
My klipsch icon center struggles ina bedroom.
Can you use tower speakers as a center or hook up two of them?

Why not? Click here for details of this THX certified system. It has "sealed 2.5" drivers for bold sound and a 7" bass reflex subwoofer that provides rich, full-bodied bass."

View attachment 1421054

Or, for the princely sum of $288, you can get a full 5.1 THX system!

View attachment 1421082
Why not? Click here for details of this THX certified system. It has "sealed 2.5" drivers for bold sound and a 7" bass reflex subwoofer that provides rich, full-bodied bass."

View attachment 1421054

Or, for the princely sum of $288, you can get a full 5.1 THX system!

View attachment 1421082

I don’t see how that’s a THX system but okay. Thanks for the suggestion.

I want something with some true weight and more than cinema sound, I don’t think the Klipsch’s are going to do that for me. Very thin sounding center channel. Clear and detailed but no meat or weight and it just doesn’t sound smooth or natural.

Back
Top Bottom