Cerwin-Vega D-Series Spec sheet

check the sticky thread called Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You! at the top of this forum and it will tell you about DC offset.

Harry

I would love to see pictures of everyones Cerwin's along with the model # --Please show with grilll off~~~~
James

You may want to check the DC offset on your receiver/amp. If it is more than a few mv you may have problems with your amp. The speaker protect should have engaged and shut off all sound. if it failed to trip your speakers could get direct voltage and blow fuses and or speakers. You do not want to see the "magic smoke".

Harry

It'll take more than "a few mv" to put a unit into protection. Keep in mind that the acceptable/unacceptable levels EW talks about in his thread have more to do with audible distortion, not necessarily speaker damaging levels. It's not uncommon to use a 1.5 volt battery (DC) to center woofers for a re-foam. They don't catch fire at that level.:D

Here are my D3's. Except with Dayton woofs:

20080330-CerwinVegaD-32.jpg

How do those sound? I know I should just get the surrounds and do my first refoam (D-3s) but I was curious. What is the model number of those woofers?

Harry,
The D-9' s i own show 4.8 ohms on my Fluke 179 and 4.2 on my ESR meter. I believe that as a PL 400 seemed to struggle trying to drive the D-9's to keep up with my Speakerlab Model K's driven by a Spec 2. I then changed out the 400 for a 700B, now THAT woke them up, they did get loud.

Yup those speakers will get stupid loud. The Spec 2 amp is a pro amp wrapped in a consumer case. It will easily drive a 4 ohm load to ear splitting levels. It is fun to impress your friends on how loud those speakers will get.

Harry

How do those sound? I know I should just get the surrounds and do my first refoam (D-3s) but I was curious. What is the model number of those woofers?

Those D3's were given to me about 3 years ago by a friend that, perhaps, didn't recognize that the surrounds in the original woofers were shot. Judging by the looks of one woofer that was completely seized up (and orange foam dust all OVER the place in BOTH...) I'd say he cranked them HARD until the day he gave them to me!

Now, re-foaming doesn't bother me- done it many times from 5" to 10" woofers. I think the larger the speaker, the easier it is to do. But I've never done a re-cone. I could have had the one woofer sent out for re-cone... But I was putting in an order anyway to Parts Express so I added on a couple of their Dayton SD270-8-8 dual voice coil 10". $25 each, what the hell...

The CV's certainly had the nicer looking aluminum frames. But it was a drop dead down and dirty exchange- no screwing around with reconing.

Since both your woofers work I would highly recommend a re-foam with CV orange foam (readily available). Probably cost you around $30 for both. I don't know your mechanical abilities but, for me, 10" woofers are a breeze- just don't get sloppy with the glue and you'll do fine. :yes:

Brian

Last edited:
looking to get a pair of D-3's free, but according to the guy, they need new foam, worth it??

looking to get a pair of D-3's free, but according to the guy, they need new foam, worth it??

If that's all they TRULY need they're well worth it.

I was given mine for free, too. I knew they needed foam but one of the woofers was blown from the former owner blasting them (probably as the foam was deteriorating). Probably could have had a recone but decided to buy 2 new Dayton woofs since the cabinets, mids and crossovers were in damn good shape.

Also, needed a tweeter replaced so I replaced both to match. So, I've got $120 in them which, to me, is borderline expensive. But, I've made lots worse decisions.

Last edited:
Googled your fuse and it's a 4amp vs. 2 amp that I blew... I'll start there... Thanks Harry...

This is old, but the literature for my D-9s say 2A fuse standard, 2.5A optional, but both of the slow blow variety. Fast blow fuses pop very easily.

Mine read the same as Lee's. They are also rated for 400w's? Thanks for posting this even if it is an older thread

I run 5A 250V fastblo's in mine with zero issues and I put the boots to them daily. I have the woodgrain versions. Bullet horns are gone and a matched set of Heppler Dhorm soft domes now run the highs so the bullet horn shriek at high volumes is no longer an issue. I also added 50lbs of ballast in each and put in cross bracing. Someday I plan to spray the interiors with rhino liner in a can stuff for extra sealing/damping

Mine read the same as Lee's. They are also rated for 400w's? Thanks for posting this even if it is an older thread

I run 5A 250V fastblo's in mine with zero issues and I put the boots to them daily. I have the woodgrain versions. Bullet horns are gone and a matched set of Heppler Dhorm soft domes now run the highs so the bullet horn shriek at high volumes is no longer an issue. I also added 50lbs of ballast in each and put in cross bracing. Someday I plan to spray the interiors with rhino liner in a can stuff for extra sealing/damping

bumping a 10 year old zombie thread wasn't cool 10 years ago and ain't cool now.. You're not new to forums.

Zombie thread needs pics!

VS-120s. Deciding if I should sell them or stash them away from SWMBO in the basement. Hmmmm....

vs120.jpeg

When I purchased one of the pairs of Cerwin Vega D-9’s I had, the owner had kept everything from the receipt to the sales information that came with it.

I found this again the other day and figured I’d scan it. I don’t know if this information is listed elsewhere or not, but I figured some might find it useful:

This has information for the D-1, D-2, D-3, D-5, D-7, and D-9

cerwin.JPG

Edit: My original scan was lost when I moved from Comcast Residential to Comcast Business and they erased everything I had hosted on the free webspace they gave me... but it is identical to this image.
Hey Chris,
Could you dig up that same brochure with the specs please sometime real soon and post the page were it says this ?....
( Helmholtz & Thiel )

...I can't find mine I know I had a couple of the same brochures but they may have been lost in the two moves I've done in my life since 1986

Inside that brochure it talks about the helmholtz and theil design of the D9...

Hey Chris,
Could you dig up that same brochure with the specs please sometime real soon and post the page were it says this ?....
( Helmholtz & Thiel )

...I can't find mine I know I had a couple of the same brochures but they may have been lost in the two moves I've done in my life since 1986

Inside that brochure it talks about the helmholtz and theil design of the D9...
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/cerwin-vega/digital-series.shtml?destination=node/100984

Screenshot from 2019-04-12 15-27-40.png

When I purchased one of the pairs of Cerwin Vega D-9’s I had, the owner had kept everything from the receipt to the sales information that came with it.

I found this again the other day and figured I’d scan it. I don’t know if this information is listed elsewhere or not, but I figured some might find it useful:

This has information for the D-1, D-2, D-3, D-5, D-7, and D-9

cerwin.JPG

Edit: My original scan was lost when I moved from Comcast Residential to Comcast Business and they erased everything I had hosted on the free webspace they gave me... but it is identical to this image.

Chris, thanks so much for posting this. I've been seeing CVs showing up on FB Marketplace and this is such a great reference tool :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom