Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

While we're budget busting, check out this one:

Equator D5 Studio Monitors with DSP - $350 (mfg-direct open box)
Hsu STF-1 pair - $538
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - $163
Dayton EMM6 - $48
BYOPC+cables+stands
= $1099 + PC, cables, stands

Here we have an all-active, dual subwoofer, digital-based system capable of over 100dB 20-20k that allows for nearly unlimited "room correction", subwoofer EQ and time/phase alignment, etc., etc., etc. It also allows for one analog source (or more with a switchbox), so long as you don't mind it being digitized ;). I think I posted a similar option earlier in the thread, but I like this one better.

How is the Scarlett 2i4 being used? As a pre?

Last edited:
How is the Scarlett 2i4 being used? As a pre?
As the DAC, and preamp as combined with the PC, yes. It is also the microphone pre/interface for measuring response. The point of that system is to allow for really careful EQ and subwoofer integration, and lots of potential adjustments and corrections, use of advanced DSP software (Acourate, etc.), and on and on. All of that would take some considerable fussing around on the PC as a permanent part of the system, not a "plug in any computer and go" system.

Without that sort of effort, it could still be a real nice setup, but you could replace the Scarlett and the mic with a regular DAC or analog preamp or both, etc. The Scarlett or similar would still be a nice option for those interested in recording analog sources digitally, though.

There is something illogical about this system when playing digital sources: an extra ADC-DAC conversion. This is not that unusual and works just fine, but it is conceptually annoying and seems to be a waste of money. Ironically, I haven't been able to come up with a way to avoid that waste of money without increasing the budget a lot, or bringing in used gear, or going to DIY stuff. Well, except for using JBL LSR series monitors instead of the Equator, which would be a fine substitute in that system, but I was setting out to have DSP-corrected crossover filters as part of this one.

Last edited:
As the DAC, and preamp as combined with the PC, yes. It is also the microphone pre/interface for measuring response. The point of that system is to allow for really careful EQ and subwoofer integration, and lots of potential adjustments and corrections, use of advanced DSP software (Acourate, etc.), and on and on. All of that would take some considerable fussing around on the PC as a permanent part of the system, not a "plug in any computer and go" system.

Without that sort of effort, it could still be a real nice setup, but you could replace the Scarlett and the mic with a regular DAC or analog preamp or both, etc. The Scarlett or similar would still be a nice option for those interested in recording analog sources digitally, though.

There is something illogical about this system when playing digital sources: an extra ADC-DAC conversion. This is not that unusual and works just fine, but it is conceptually annoying and seems to be a waste of money. Ironically, I haven't been able to come up with a way to avoid that waste of money without increasing the budget a lot, or bringing in used gear, or going to DIY stuff. Well, except for using JBL LSR series monitors instead of the Equator, which would be a fine substitute in that system, but I was setting out to have DSP-corrected crossover filters as part of this one.

This is a nice, 21st century system.

What a great thread! Here is my .02 worth:

I'd spend the most money on speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitors $598 pair
Sony STRDH130 $118 on Amazon (100w x2)
Audio Technica ATLP120 $233 on Amazon
Grand total $949

Add some Monoprice cables for ant-other 10-15 bucks.

Just around $1000 for great speakers a powerful amp with vinyl.

Last edited:
Here is another similar option for those who poo poo the AT

PSB Image B6 $549 Crutchfield
Pro-Ject Debut III $299 Amazon
Sony STRDH130 $118 Amazon
Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3 Phono Stage $66 Amazon
Grand Total $1032

Last edited:
Just got a pair of the Wharfdale 10.2 speakers and a Yamaha R N-500 receiver for my son for graduation $ 998. I threw in my old Pioneer turntable for free. I thought he would like all the bells and whistles of the Yamaha. It sounds really nice set up in the living room. I hope it gets him interested in music like I was at 22.

Here's what I just put together:

Speakers - Pioneer SP-BS22-LR - $87
Integrated Amp - NAD C 316BEE - $380
Tuner - Used Yamaha T-1 - $110
CD Deck - Pioneer PD-101 - $75 (a guess, already had it)
Turntable - Yamaha YP-D6 - $150 (another guess, had it for years)
Speaker Stands - Sanus 24" - $89
Interconnects/Speaker wire - $ Free (junk bin)
DAC - Schitt MODI - $99
Computer Source - MacBook Air - $ Already Owned, could live without for the system

All in for $990. Very pleased. Just need a phono preamp to get the analog side working...Wonder if anyone has one for $9.99? ;-)

Last edited:
I'm having a very difficult time assembling what I would believe to be a quality setup with NEW gear and keeping it under $1000. So far I keep landing on:

Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 - $399
-or-
Quad 11L Classic Standmount - $449
+
NAD - C-326BEE - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - $549

But then I have nothing left to purchase a source component costing more than a box of saltine crackers. Hmmm...

I would second the speaker choice. I'm running the def tech sm45 bookshelf speakers in my bedroom and they put out a huge soundstage and very good bass. Some do not like the metal tweeters but with my 6v6 tube amplification they sound pretty neutral and not too bright on most source material.

I purchased all of these at one time or another, but I never had these all together in one system. These could have been interesting sub $1000 systems:

Sony TA-4650 Integrated Amp (V-FET classic) Craigslist $18.00
NAD CD-5420 CD Player Craigslist $50
Paradigm Titan Monitor v.6 purchased new $500/pr.
Pro-ject Debut III turntable purchased new $275
Audioquest bulk twin conductor speaker cable (15 ft.) $35.00
AR low end audiophile interconnects Flea market $6.00 for three

System price $884.

Substitute Micro Acoustic FR-1's from a garage sale $11.00 (working but ugly)
Substitute Philips AF 777 turntable from local ebay seller $35.00
Substitute Grado Prestige Black old stock $40.00

System price $195.00!!

If it were me..

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR - $90
Musical Paradise MP301 MK3 - $330
Orbit (Basic) Turntable - $180
Hageman Labs Bugle2 DIY Phono Amp Kit - $140

That's $740. Spend another $60 on cabling (monoprice), and the rest goes to music.

A system I just put together for my other house:

Marantz PM6004 - $450 MusicDirect w/ free shipping
Marantz CD5004 - $280 Amazon w/free shipping
NHT SuperOne 2.1's $300 (I got in for the promo price of $240) NHT w/free shipping
Monoprice speaker wire and connects - about $25.

So while my price was right at a grand, the current price would total $1055.

A dac to me is like the phono pre in a TT setup. Your labtop or PC would be the source (TT), and your mp3 file would be the record. Lossless would be the best but I think 320kbps is plenty fine.

Problem is most people would not consider the price of the labtop or PC in their sound system because it does soo many other things besides play music. Meanwhile most people would add the price of the TT to their sound system because it does one thing, play music.

Looking at it that way I could def. see someone claim that the dac is the source but technically it is not, at least imo.

My 1k pc setup:
odac $149
Asgard 2 $249
Shure 840 $189
Adam A3x $559

TT setup, good luck. Cheapest TT I like is the reloop rp-7000 and that eats up half the budget and the bugle 2 will eat up another $189. I guess add you fav. $300 amp plus headphone or speaker combo but then you got a cart to buy. I could probably come up with a nice 2k setup though. Vinyl to me is not for the faint of heart but the rewards are greater. I do not mess much with cassette or cd, but Tascam makes some pretty good sounding $100-$300 cd players that I could probably build something around.

Last edited:
My thoughts on this based on recent digital experience that would have me storing all my digital on a hard drive, then streaming it to the Nano as DSD128 via Jriver. Internet streaming services (including the CD quality ones that are on the horizon) could follow the same route, though probably not as converted DSD.

NAD 316BEE $350
PSB Alpha B1 $300
iFi Nano iDSD dac $190
JRiver software $50
Wire or drive space $110

Big assumption; since we’re discussing this on an internet forum, I’m assuming you'd already have a capable computer to feed the USB dac.

I really liked the sound of a NAD D 3020 driving the PSB Alphas but don’t like the idea of a built-in dac so would choose the more flexible 316BEE. Digital technology is changing fast and for the better (IMO) at lower and lower price points so I’d prefer a competent analog input integrated; the digital stuff can change, evolve, be upgraded and replaced to suit need and budget behind those analog inputs.

I love vinyl but wouldn’t do it if the entire system had to be purchased new and <$1K.

There are other software options out there but JRiver is a well sorted, complete solution that can run on most OS’s, play any format, makes ripping/tagging easy, does conversion and has several remote control options – well worth the $50 even in a budget system.

I don’t think spending a lot on wire is cost effective in a <$1K system – better to just get something decently constructed and put any extra $ towards more drive space in the computer or speaker stands if needed.

My thoughts on this based on recent digital experience that would have me storing all my digital on a hard drive, then streaming it to the Nano as DSD128 via Jriver. Internet streaming services (including the CD quality ones that are on the horizon) could follow the same route, though probably not as converted DSD.

NAD 316BEE $350
PSB Alpha B1 $300
iFi Nano iDSD dac $190
JRiver software $50
Wire or drive space $110

Big assumption; since we’re discussing this on an internet forum, I’m assuming you'd already have a capable computer to feed the USB dac.

I really liked the sound of a NAD D 3020 driving the PSB Alphas but don’t like the idea of a built-in dac so would choose the more flexible 316BEE. Digital technology is changing fast and for the better (IMO) at lower and lower price points so I’d prefer a competent analog input integrated; the digital stuff can change, evolve, be upgraded and replaced to suit need and budget behind those analog inputs.

I love vinyl but wouldn’t do it if the entire system had to be purchased new and <$1K.

There are other software options out there but JRiver is a well sorted, complete solution that can run on most OS’s, play any format, makes ripping/tagging easy, does conversion and has several remote control options – well worth the $50 even in a budget system.

I don’t think spending a lot on wire is cost effective in a <$1K system – better to just get something decently constructed and put any extra $ towards more drive space in the computer or speaker stands if needed.

Computers and computer related products can change more than once a year as this is a known fact. Sticking with just analog only would be the wisest decision you can make for your system.

Computers and computer related products can change more than once a year as this is a known fact. Sticking with just analog only would be the wisest decision you can make for your system.
It seems like a real stretch to call an all-analog system "modern day hifi" since you couldn't play the vast majority of modern day recordings on it, but regardless it doesn't take much for digital audio playback. Free software and around $75 in new hardware or a 15-year-old desktop can get it done just fine. Plus storage, but that can also be anything.

Back
Top Bottom