Cheap Tube based headphone amp

bikingbuddha

I am planing on buying a cheap tube based headphone amp. When i go through ebay there is a plethora of choices i can make regardless of being right or wrong. So after going through few reviews i picked up a few. if anyone has experience over these amps, please let me know.

FYI ~ I love warm mellow sound and i prefer to buy an amp that TUBE in it actually does something to the sound. I've seen some scary videos on youtube showing that once the tube is removed amp is still working and i don't want one of those.

Choice #1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bea...703995&hash=item3f5c8af8fd:g:lbsAAOSwx-9WxOG0

Choice #2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6J9-V...479266?hash=item3f5431a4e2:g:EV0AAOSwoudW8WKu

Choice #3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bea...740665&hash=item5d75830dea:g:nqMAAOSwFjlZuKl9

Choice #4. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bravo-Audi...030498&hash=item20e6b7085e:g:EHsAAOxyJypTj~KE

I am planing on buying a cheap tube based headphone amp. When i go through ebay there is a plethora of choices i can make regardless of being right or wrong. So after going through few reviews i picked up a few. if anyone has experience over these amps, please let me know.

FYI ~ I love warm mellow sound and i prefer to buy an amp that TUBE in it actually does something to the sound. I've seen some scary videos on youtube showing that once the tube is removed amp is still working and i don't want one of those.

Choice #1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bea...703995&hash=item3f5c8af8fd:g:lbsAAOSwx-9WxOG0

Choice #2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-6J9-V...479266?hash=item3f5431a4e2:g:EV0AAOSwoudW8WKu

Choice #3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bea...740665&hash=item5d75830dea:g:nqMAAOSwFjlZuKl9

Choice #4. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bravo-Audi...030498&hash=item20e6b7085e:g:EHsAAOxyJypTj~KE
Don't expect much at this level as there's nothing worthwhile to be had in it.

I have a little bear tube pre, its in my pic. I also have a little dot i+ tube headphone amp. Both have obvious differences when tube rolling.

I think they are hybrid amps, both tube and SS, so not really a tube amp, but I may be wrong, without a schematic, or closeup of the board, it is hard to tell

I have the 6j9 amp but it is branded nobsound.
image (2).jpg
It is a hybrid. The tubes are used as a buffer.
Inside the nobsound.
image(2).jpg
It actually sounds prety good for what it cost.
It use's ti ne5532 opamp's in sockets so you can roll opamp's as well as the tubes.

I have the 6j9 amp but it is branded nobsound.
View attachment 1083323
It is a hybrid. The tubes are used as a buffer.
Inside the nobsound.
View attachment 1083324
It actually sounds prety good for what it cost.
It use's ti ne5532 opamp's in sockets so you can roll opamp's as well as the tubes.
Thank you for your valued reply but look what i found out about that amp on the youtube. These stuff are pretty scary.

Don't expect much at this level as there's nothing worthwhile to be had in it.

Nope! Seriously i am not expecting a lot, but i am quiet curious about these cheapo stuff. I recently bought a 6n3 matisse clone tube pre amp and it sounds amazing for the price i paid.

I got one of these Nobsound hp amps last year, from my Secret Santa. The Sino tubes in it were junky, at best and failed, at worst. Noisy, what sound there was, was grainy. Terrible. I got some E180F tubes from various places, for very few dollars each. What an improvement.

Given that I don't listen to headphones often, I have a pair of Grado SR80s. This little amp, and these Grados, make a decent setup for late-night listening, or when I want to go loud, and the spouse is watching TV in the next room.

A dedicated 'can' user is probably chuckling to himself, and this wouldn't be my choice, if I wanted to spend substantial time listening with headphones, but it sounds pretty good, and handles what I ask of it.

Caveat Emptor!......aka buyer beware!
In a lot of those so-called el cheapo tube headphone amps, sometimes the tube does nothing, they are not even in the circuit, just a filament supply to make the filaments glow and a pretty LED to make the look bling, and most of the times they are simply used as a buffer, and this, of course, depends on the model tube used and not really contributing to the circuit or sound!
And lets not even get into the lack of any 'usable' or available high B+ voltages required to make tubes work.

Last edited:
I got one of these Nobsound hp amps last year, from my Secret Santa. The Sino tubes in it were junky, at best and failed, at worst. Noisy, what sound there was, was grainy. Terrible. I got some E180F tubes from various places, for very few dollars each. What an improvement.

Given that I don't listen to headphones often, I have a pair of Grado SR80s. This little amp, and these Grados, make a decent setup for late-night listening, or when I want to go loud, and the spouse is watching TV in the next room.

A dedicated 'can' user is probably chuckling to himself, and this wouldn't be my choice, if I wanted to spend substantial time listening with headphones, but it sounds pretty good, and handles what I ask of it.

Thanks for the reply. I was a dedicated headphone user until i came across big tower speakers from marantz (very old), now i use them more often and fond of them. Like you said i also does the same when i need to listen when someone is watching the TV. :)

Caveat Emptor!......aka buyer beware!
In a lot of those so-called el cheapo tube headphone amps, sometimes the tube does nothing, they are not even in the circuit, just a filament supply to make the filaments glow and a pretty LED to make the look bling, and most of the times they are simply used as a buffer, and this, of course, depends on the model tube used and not really contributing to the circuit or sound!
And lets not even get into the lack of any 'usable' or available high B+ voltages required to make tubes work.

I also thought the same... I had a little understanding of these tubes because my preamp i bought needs a 1A AC power supply to work. It came with a heavy big transformer compared to these.

Historical tangent: When I was a kid we had a kit (heath?) mono amp for our record player and little fm tuner. It was mono, 'cause Dad and my older brother hadn't gotten around to building the second channel section. It was exposed tube because they hadn't build a cabinet for the unfinished amplifier. They hadn't cut off the long shanks for the potentiometers, with their knobs sticking out about 3 or 4 inches from the front of the chassis, because there was no cabinet to measure how long they should be. We lived with that amp for years, but nobody thought it was fashionable or right to have all the tubes exposed that way. Times have changed. It would be fun to have that amp now, but I have no idea whatever happened to it.

Historical tangent: When I was a kid we had a kit (heath?) mono amp for our record player and little fm tuner. It was mono, 'cause Dad and my older brother hadn't gotten around to building the second channel section. It was exposed tube because they hadn't build a cabinet for the unfinished amplifier. They hadn't cut off the long shanks for the potentiometers, with their knobs sticking out about 3 or 4 inches from the front of the chassis, because there was no cabinet to measure how long they should be. We lived with that amp for years, but nobody thought it was fashionable or right to have all the tubes exposed that way. Times have changed. It would be fun to have that amp now, but I have no idea whatever happened to it.

Amazing to hear such stories and experiences. Wish we are fortunate enough to see at least a picture of such amp. Classic hand built mono amp awesomeness.

My dad liked to tinker with radios, more than pursue the goals of hi-fidelity, but if I had the stash of spare tubes he had in the early 1960s, boxes and boxes of them, they'd be worth a small fortune today.

Well, opinions from folks actually owning these devices is needed; neither doubting quality nor speculation will help the OP or anyone else interested in these hybrids.

In the late '90s, early 2000s, Musical Fidelity offered the X-Cans, then X-Can II and X-Pre line of hybrid headphone amps and preamps respectively. Also, let's not forget their famous hybrid buffer unit, the X-10D, plus a neat X-Tone bass and treble tone control module. These came in very cool looking, almost identical cylindrical cases. Folks, they didn't just look cool; they sounded very nice. These each ran off 12VAC wall warts, which could easily be upgraded with beefier 12V AC output wall warts. Internally, each X- device cleverly splits the 12VAC into DC filament supplies as well as plus and minus 24-30VDC B+ rails. So, that is nearly 60VDC, low for some tubes, but fine for the 6DJ8/6922 family. MF even offered a similar looking X-PSU, quite collectable today, which could power 3 or 4 X- type devices. Presently, some of these X-types have morphed into MF units with different looking cabs and supposedly updated circuitry. The originals were quite a breakthrough and paved the way for copycat, less expensive, less ornate looking, hybrid headphone amps/preamps with clear plastic tops and cool looking LED underlighting. Then, later came the swarm of metal looking copycat devices and some were even metallic chassis equipped. Some sound surprisingly good...

History aside, probably the most "popular" of these copycats was the Indeed tube hybrid headphone amp. When they arrived on the scene, they cost about $100. delivered from HK or China. Reading some of the early online reviews, I surmised this device could become a preamp of sorts. With an ability to drive 32 to 600 Ohm cans (headphones) very loudly with low distortion, they could more easily drive higher impedance devices, like tube power amps. The first version Indeed hybrid 'phone amp only had a volume control and headphone output jack on front, plus input RCA jacks on one side, IIRC. I quickly bought one for about $80. delivered and was quite amazed how good it sounded with 32 to 600 Ohm cans. I wired a stereo cord, 1/4 inch stereo headphone plug to stereo RCA plugs. Since these devices could easily drive low impedances, 2 to 3 meter long "interconnects" were fashioned and tried with numerous systems I had around. These were pleasantly surprising and successful, sonically virtuous devices !

Flash forward about a decade, long after two birthday presents of the next generation, Indeed Gen. 2; one for my son-in-law and one for my daughter. As they listened for the first time, smiles were inherent. Still today, they still use 'em and smile while listening. Personally, using them as an interface between musical sources and power amps, I was amazed at their large degree of gain with low coloration. Used as a buffer with gain, they improved the sound of digital sources immensely and perform preamp duty well.

The Indeed Gen. 2 and now Gen. 3 offered more useful options and advertised themselves as hybrid headphone amps/hybrid buffers and preamplifiers. Their volume controls track well. They can switch inputs between RCA input jacks or 3.5mm mini-stereophone input jacks, 6.3V or 12V tubes (!), plus have RCA output jacks. Besides their versatility in impedance matching and tremendous gain with low distortion, their sound quality is surprisingly very fine. Of course, replacing the included tubes can be beneficial and avoiding the sometimes offered strange tube types can be in order...

I can vouch for the Indeed first generation 6922 hybrid headphone amp, Indeed Gen. 2 and the half priced Lil Bear P1 which apparently copies the Indeed Gen.2. The second generation units can switch between 6922/6DJ8/ECC88 or ECC82/12AU7 tubes ! There are numerous online sites for research; some even examine upgrading and optimizing tube bias when swapping tube types. The infamous rockgrotto forums have catered to upgrading the X-Can and X-Pre devices. I also own a genuine, MF cylindrical X-Pre line stage preamp which will only be upgraded when needed and probably kept for another two decades...Research is recommended, then choose after reviewing actual owner opinions...

Well, opinions from folks actually owning these devices is needed; neither doubting quality nor speculation will help the OP or anyone else interested in these hybrids.

In the late '90s, early 2000s, Musical Fidelity offered the X-Cans, then X-Can II and X-Pre line of hybrid headphone amps and preamps respectively. Also, let's not forget their famous hybrid buffer unit, the X-10D, plus a neat X-Tone bass and treble tone control module. These came in very cool looking, almost identical cylindrical cases. Folks, they didn't just look cool; they sounded very nice. These each ran off 12VAC wall warts, which could easily be upgraded with beefier 12V AC output wall warts. Internally, each X- device cleverly splits the 12VAC into DC filament supplies as well as plus and minus 24-30VDC B+ rails. So, that is nearly 60VDC, low for some tubes, but fine for the 6DJ8/6922 family. MF even offered a similar looking X-PSU, quite collectable today, which could power 3 or 4 X- type devices. Presently, some of these X-types have morphed into MF units with different looking cabs and supposedly updated circuitry. The originals were quite a breakthrough and paved the way for copycat, less expensive, less ornate looking, hybrid headphone amps/preamps with clear plastic tops and cool looking LED underlighting. Then, later came the swarm of metal looking copycat devices and some were even metallic chassis equipped. Some sound surprisingly good...

History aside, probably the most "popular" of these copycats was the Indeed tube hybrid headphone amp. When they arrived on the scene, they cost about $100. delivered from HK or China. Reading some of the early online reviews, I surmised this device could become a preamp of sorts. With an ability to drive 32 to 600 Ohm cans (headphones) very loudly with low distortion, they could more easily drive higher impedance devices, like tube power amps. The first version Indeed hybrid 'phone amp only had a volume control and headphone output jack on front, plus input RCA jacks on one side, IIRC. I quickly bought one for about $80. delivered and was quite amazed how good it sounded with 32 to 600 Ohm cans. I wired a stereo cord, 1/4 inch stereo headphone plug to stereo RCA plugs. Since these devices could easily drive low impedances, 2 to 3 meter long "interconnects" were fashioned and tried with numerous systems I had around. These were pleasantly surprising and successful, sonically virtuous devices !

Flash forward about a decade, long after two birthday presents of the next generation, Indeed Gen. 2; one for my son-in-law and one for my daughter. As they listened for the first time, smiles were inherent. Still today, they still use 'em and smile while listening. Personally, using them as an interface between musical sources and power amps, I was amazed at their large degree of gain with low coloration. Used as a buffer with gain, they improved the sound of digital sources immensely and perform preamp duty well.

The Indeed Gen. 2 and now Gen. 3 offered more useful options and advertised themselves as hybrid headphone amps/hybrid buffers and preamplifiers. Their volume controls track well. They can switch inputs between RCA input jacks or 3.5mm mini-stereophone input jacks, 6.3V or 12V tubes (!), plus have RCA output jacks. Besides their versatility in impedance matching and tremendous gain with low distortion, their sound quality is surprisingly very fine. Of course, replacing the included tubes can be beneficial and avoiding the sometimes offered strange tube types can be in order...

I can vouch for the Indeed first generation 6922 hybrid headphone amp, Indeed Gen. 2 and the half priced Lil Bear P1 which apparently copies the Indeed Gen.2. The second generation units can switch between 6922/6DJ8/ECC88 or ECC82/12AU7 tubes ! There are numerous online sites for research; some even examine upgrading and optimizing tube bias when swapping tube types. The infamous rockgrotto forums have catered to upgrading the X-Can and X-Pre devices. I also own a genuine, MF cylindrical X-Pre line stage preamp which will only be upgraded when needed and probably kept for another two decades...Research is recommended, then choose after reviewing actual owner opinions...

Thanks a lot for taking time to write this. I definitely will look in to it, User opinions are very important.

If possible, I would save my pennies or do some driving for Lyft and get one of these Schiit Valhalla 2 amps. I have had mine for two or three years now. I've used it with my turntable, I've routed my acoustic guitars through it, I've used it in my recording studio sending drum and synth loops through it to warm them up, I've even used it as a headphone amp.

It's the real deal and while I've had issues with Shiit DACs failing (they do have a great 5 year warranty and replace things with a smile), this little wonder sits next to my bed, glowing all night, happily powering my 600 ohm Byer DT880's and 250 Ohm DT 1990's with ease and grace. But, if you can't afford it and must have tubes, I'm of no use to you at all. But good luck in your search.

val2-main-1920.jpg

Back
Top Bottom