Cheap Tube based headphone amp

I have a couple of tube-based headphone amps, a Garage1217 Project Sunrise III and a Gemtune APPJ PA1502A. The Sunrise is a hybrid like the others you have listed, made in the US, and is responsive to tube rolling. I don't know what your budget is but you can get its little brother Project Starlight for $150 + shipping in kit form.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_006.htm

The Gemtune is just about the cheapest all-tube headphone amp I've seen ($200, 12AX7 pre + 2x 6V6 output) but needs minor recapping to really bring out its potential. The stock bypass caps and tubes are meh at best. It is really good with the right caps and tubes, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Gemtune-APPJ-PA1502A-headphone-amplifier/dp/B00X5EB7QY

If possible, I would save my pennies or do some driving for Lyft and get one of these Schiit Valhalla 2 amps. I have had mine for two or three years now. I've used it with my turntable, I've routed my acoustic guitars through it, I've used it in my recording studio sending drum and synth loops through it to warm them up, I've even used it as a headphone amp.

It's the real deal and while I've had issues with Shiit DACs failing (they do have a great 5 year warranty and replace things with a smile), this little wonder sits next to my bed, glowing all night, happily powering my 600 ohm Byer DT880's and 250 Ohm DT 1990's with ease and grace. But, if you can't afford it and must have tubes, I'm of no use to you at all. But good luck in your search.

View attachment 1084718

I've seen that device and i am sure it sounds super awesome. I would love to own one but there are few issues and biggest is getting one of those down to where i live. They are expensive alright (because when i exchange my local currency to US$ it's crazy) and ebay doesn't seem to have anyone shipping one of those worldwide. But thanks a lot for pointing it out.... someday if i get a chance i'd get one down. :)

I have a Bravo V1, similar to the V2 posted above. It sounds pretty good, but it is a hybrid. Output is still solid state MOSFET.

The V1 has trim pots for bias, and can be adjusted, which reduces distortion and to rebias for different tubes:

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/5022/adjust-bias-bravo-amps

That's what i was looking in to. Thanks a lot for letting me know that it sounds pretty good. I think MOSFET sounds warmer too right?

I have a couple of tube-based headphone amps, a Garage1217 Project Sunrise III and a Gemtune APPJ PA1502A. The Sunrise is a hybrid like the others you have listed, made in the US, and is responsive to tube rolling. I don't know what your budget is but you can get its little brother Project Starlight for $150 + shipping in kit form.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_006.htm

The Gemtune is just about the cheapest all-tube headphone amp I've seen ($200, 12AX7 pre + 2x 6V6 output) but needs minor recapping to really bring out its potential. The stock bypass caps and tubes are meh at best. It is really good with the right caps and tubes, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Gemtune-APPJ-PA1502A-headphone-amplifier/dp/B00X5EB7QY

Thanks a lot for letting me know the links. I will go through and see if i can find any shipping options.

I was trying to use my Little Bear P5-1 tube buffer preamp but I think the power supply is too "weenie". The wall-wart that came with it is 12v AC pushing 3VA, which is the same as .25 amps, right? Is anyone using a beefier ps with this unit without burning it out? The specs seem to call for AC 12v 1 amp.

I was trying to use my Little Bear P5-1 tube buffer preamp but I think the power supply is too "weenie". The wall-wart that came with it is 12v AC pushing 3VA, which is the same as .25 amps, right? Is anyone using a beefier ps with this unit without burning it out? The specs seem to call for AC 12v 1 amp.

d2e3c2e9b022303b.jpg

I use to have the above amp and i think it is similar or maybe a clone of what you have mentioned. I used a AC to AC 12V 2AMP transformer and it had enough power to power my panasonic RP-HTX7 without connecting it to a separate amp. It sounded good, but then i got my second tube pre amp with is 6n3 matisse clone. It simply blew it away with the quality ,warmth and soundstage. So i sold the 6j1. I have no idea if it could be any better with a bigger power supply. The one i used was a big transformer in the size of an average fist.

Find someone to build you a Millett starving student and it'll blow every comparably priced premade hybrid out of the water. :)

+1 on the Gemtune APPJ PA1502A

I have had this amp for 6 weeks now and am very pleased. Tube rolling options are plenty. I immediately rolled in newly produced electro harmonics 6v6 and genalex 12az7 tubes, but then of course couldn’t resist rolling in NOS tubes and now am listening to a RCA 6v6gt gray glass power and a smooth plate telefunken 12ax7 combo that is very pleasing. You can drive low and high impedence headphones with a simple flip of a front switch. This is one of those audio purchases that has never had any associated regret!

I believe there are several modifications that one can make to this amp, but I have not looked into this. If your goal is an inexpensive, all tube based design headphone amp, this will not disappoint.

48155B6D-E41E-4806-88C3-7D169BD9338A.jpeg

Find someone to build you a Millett starving student and it'll blow every comparably priced premade hybrid out of the water. :)
-- or go all high-tech and 21st Century with Pete's amp design using the Korg "NuTube" (a repurposed VFD tube)! :)

http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html

Nuhybrid.jpg

This would be safe and easy to build.
I've built a couple of examples of his earlier low voltage hybrid tube/ss headphone amp/line amp* (using low-voltage space charge tubes) and can vouch for his skills (he has made & sold headphone amplifiers of no mean repute).
Pete Millett's a tremendous resource to the DIY/vacuum tube hifi community.
see also www.tubebooks.org (a tremendous one stop shopping resource for vacuum tube literature of all kinds).

Ooooh, I like that.

If OP wants to do the starving student, there's a guy named Fred over at head-fi that has nice PCBs for the 12A*7 version. That's what I've built and it's been very nice.

Cheers,
Nathan

Back
Top Bottom