Cheapskate long exposures - the welding glass filter

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
That's cool. I might have to try that some time. I have a piece of welding glass on my kitchen counter....

The biggest challenge is getting the green cast out of the resulting image. I never had a camera with a manual white balance that would totally compensate for it - the above shots were taken with a NEX-C3 and the tint heavily modified in Photoshop. It's a cool technique though and might work well with black & white work.

It's a nice technique, though a bit over done now. I bought plastic Cokin filters to do it. Another interesting filter technique is from the ancient Kodak Here's How series. You triple expose through red, green and blue filters. Stationary stuff comes out normal. Anything that moves, like rushing water, windmill blades or ferris wheels, comes out multi-colored.

It's a nice technique, though a bit over done now. I bought plastic Cokin filters to do it. Another interesting filter technique is from the ancient Kodak Here's How series. You triple expose through red, green and blue filters. Stationary stuff comes out normal. Anything that moves, like rushing water, windmill blades or ferris wheels, comes out multi-colored.

I like that idea ! I'll have to give that a try :)

Back
Top Bottom