Checking out a McIntosh MC2120 and a C28

Alguymcgee

I'm checking out a C28 and an mc2120 next week. Short of putting it on a bench, what are some things to look for during the test drive? If it affects your opinions, the preamp comes with a wood case and he is asking 1200 for the pair. From the pictures, they both appear to be an 8 out of 10 cosmetically. Thanks in advance!

Look for bubbles on the glass. It is a common cosmetics only problem. Chances are such old gear will need a good contacts cleaning and perhaps a tech to replace some dried out stuff.
Had the c-28, an amazing preamp.

I have a c26. It took some cleaning to get the RCAs to work well. Some have replaced with better ones. I've also did a cap update from ideas found over on the McIntosh manufacturer's forum. See Terry Wick posts.

Can't help with the power amp but they are getting up in age. My c26 does suffer from some glass bubbling along the lower edge. Never really bothered me.

I really like to look of them and while I have better sounding pre amps, the C26 is currently in the main system. The C28 is better and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom