Chet Atkins ~Class Guitar~

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by Hajidub, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

Wow, just wow. I've sort of avoided buying Chet albums in the thrift due to the fact he's usually from a genre (country) that I'm not into. Talking to my brother a couple weeks ago he mentioned that Chet is regarded as one of the premier guitar players ever, with impeccable transitions, and I oughta give him a chance. Next thrift visit I found a mint copy of Chet's ~Class Guitar~, which is him doing Spanish classical and Flamenco (which is one of my fav genre's).

Wife and I had a listen on Saturday and our jaws hit the floor. The man's playing is perfection, to say the least. Beautiful, strong chords with yes, zero transitional noises. Check it out if you get a chance.

https://www.discogs.com/Chet-Atkins-Class-Guitar/release/3040553

2. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

It don't get any better than Chet, the man was a master. Been a fan for a long time and have about 60-80 of his albums on vinyl. I have two recommendations for you. #1 Sails CGP, #2 Neck and Neck with Mark knopfler, Both outstanding albums. ;)

3. Hajidub

Thanks man, after listening to Class Guitar I watched a bit of Chet and Mark on youtube.

4. swamppirate

swamppirate Super Member

Yep, Neck and Neck is a must!

5. a_retent

a_retent Daddy's little shadow Subscriber

Another worthy mention is his album "Stay Tuned" good luck finding it on vinyl though.

6. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

Yup, That's another good one, lots of pretty big names on it with him. He also did a few with Jerry Reid that are good too. I also have ones that he did with Doc Watson and Les Paul that are worth keeping an eye out for.

7. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

Neck And Neck was begotten by the 1978 session Chet played with Les Paul, which produced two albums, Chester and Lester, and Guitar Monsters.

swamppirate likes this.
  8. TomBig58

TomBig58 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I stumbled upon loads of Chet and Les Paul back in the Napster file sharing era and have been loving them ever since. If I come across it on vinyl or cd I'll surely pick it up.

9. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

His duo album with Suzy Boggus "Simpatico" is a great one, as is the albums "Read My Licks" and "The Day Fingerpickers Took Over the World" with Tommy Emanuel.

10. gmann77

gmann77 Active Member

Every time I hear a Chet Atkins track, I'm amazed by how *clean* he plays...as if the guy never hit a bum note in his entire life. It's gotta be true, right? :thumbsup:

I occasionally see an album he recorded with Roger Whittaker in the early 80's, "Changes." I haven't heard it myself, but it may be worth a listen, too.

11. Hajidub

I'm not a guitar player, but his transitions are unbelievable!

12. audiomagnate

audiomagnate Addicted Member

Chet Atkins records sound better than any other records to my ears (I'm a 24 bit streaming guy) for some reason. My favorite is "Teen Scene."

13. Inscrutable

Inscrutable AK Subscriber Subscriber

His contributions range way beyond ‘just’ being a great guitarist, influencing and producing for almost innumerous luminaries in Nashville, across genre boundaries. And reputed to be among the most genuinely good human beings in the industry.

And yeah, Neck and Neck one of my favorites - good time to resurrect with Dire Straits induction in the HOF