Choosing a vintage Graphic EQ

K Blue

I am kind of casually looking at / researching vintage (1970s / 80s) Graphic Equalizers . I think that at some point in the not too distant future I might want to purchase one to use with my Yamaha CR-2020 receiver and Klipsch Forte speakers.

I know that some people are not fans of using Equalizers and would recommend not adding one to a good stereo system because they can tend to possibly degrade the tone to some degree. And while I understand that idea and value anyone's experience and advice, I still would like to possibly purchase one because I use my sound system for a number of things. I use it to listen to music, from my computer / itunes, but also will be using a turntable, CD player and tape deck. And I listen to the audio from streaming movies and shows from my computer through it as well. So having an EQ unit could be a useful tool.

I would appreciate anyone's advice regarding good Graphic EQ units to consider. There is really not that much, in terms of extended reviews or indepth descriptions of user's experiences with EQ units online (even in this forum) that I have been able to find. So I created this thread to ask for any input that I could possible get from the many experienced audiophile individuals here !

I would like to find something that is relatively simple... meaning just analog sliders (stereo) as opposed to an electronic screen and buttons to program the various htz levels. I also would like to find something that was well built and intended to be used with a high quality audiophile home sound system.

Some of the stereo EQ units I have identified from that period that look interesting are units by Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Soundscraftsmen, MXR, and others. But again there is not much info in terms of good reviews regarding the sound quality and component quality of these EQ units online.

So... any help with this would be great ! What EQ units do you like ?

I also would like to hear what others think
I have a quadraflex that is all discrete and uses a bank of caps and tiny inductors to shape the sound
I'm thinking that this can sound better than op amp gyrator type circuits
What do others think.

I believe your decision to go "EQ" is a good one, particularly considering your multiples of source material. I am not sure why there seems to be an aversion to EQ units as such today?
In some respects, they are not needed in the ready made world of digital acoustics.... but I have found the application to be handy and useful, even with my modern add-ons.
Leading me to pose another thought.. I will state lastly :idea:.

There are a number of EQs, vintage types, still on the market. The most popular are the series of Technics by Panasonic. They seem to really had run with the concept and even expanded on the looks with lit slide levels and the like. I remain with a manufacture called Audio Control. At the time of their peak, they designed a "subsonic" filter, specifically for turntable rumble. And it seemed to be quite effective, phasing the low and retaining the high end spectrum as well.

Now back to that prior thought.... Most recording studios purposefully manipulate octave bands for optimum recording. And in good or average reproduced material, the suppression or enhancements are there. However even the best of amps have problems amplifying these "usable" signals without throwing in everything else. Introduce.. the EQUALIZER or equalization allowing one to pronounce/diminish this material on a capable speaker system.

BUT.... more importantly.... say you are a BASS man.... it is almost impossible to trim your lows without EQ! I am pretty sure this is the reason for plenty of torn up low end drivers. Most are just not designed for the abuse huge and persistent bass notes can deliver through even the best of speaker diaphragms.

Truth be told, even your ears are not designed for that abuse!

Anyways.... am I passionate about EQ, yes I am! It just seems.... "operationally sound".. (pardon the pun) :biggrin:.

Agreed, a poor EQ unit can color/distort the amplified sound... but that's a whole other subject matter... and I think I am on my soap box... long enough :rflmao:

I believe your decision to go "EQ" is a good one, particularly considering your multiples of source material. I am not sure why there seems to be an aversion to EQ units as such today?
In some respects, they are not needed in the ready made world of digital acoustics.... but I have found the application to be handy and useful, even with my modern add-ons.
Leading me to pose another thought.. I will state lastly :idea:.

There are a number of EQs, vintage types, still on the market. The most popular are the series of Technics by Panasonic. They seem to really had run with the concept and even expanded on the looks with lit slide levels and the like. I remain with a manufacture called Audio Control. At the time of their peak, they designed a "subsonic" filter, specifically for turntable rumble. And it seemed to be quite effective, phasing the low and retaining the high end spectrum as well.

Now back to that prior thought.... Most recording studios purposefully manipulate octave bands for optimum recording. And in good or average reproduced material, the suppression or enhancements are there. However even the best of amps have problems amplifying these "usable" signals without throwing in everything else. Introduce.. the EQUALIZER or equalization allowing one to pronounce/diminish this material on a capable speaker system.

BUT.... more importantly.... say you are a BASS man.... it is almost impossible to trim your lows without EQ! I am pretty sure this is the reason for plenty of torn up low end drivers. Most are just not designed for the abuse huge and persistent bass notes can deliver through even the best of speaker diaphragms.

Truth be told, even your ears are not designed for that abuse!

Anyways.... am I passionate about EQ, yes I am! It just seems.... "operationally sound".. (pardon the pun) :biggrin:.

Agreed, a poor EQ unit can color/distort the amplified sound... but that's a whole other subject matter... and I think I am on my soap box... long enough :rflmao:

Thanks much for your post... I feel the same way !

And thanks for the heads up about Audio Control. I wasn't aware of them. I checked out some of their vintage EQ units. Particularly the C-22 looks very interesting to me.

Equalizers can be used in at least two ways.

The first is when it's used to match your system to the room. Once that's done, the you have a level playing ground from which to make judgments on how good or bad a particular recording sounds. nce this "standard" had been accomplished, it would stay that way.

The second is to second guess what the engineers had in mind when mastering the recording. If this is done, then you can expect to be readjusting the equalizer for each different recordings. This s not to say it's bad, but it's all a matter of preference.

One thing, though: It's best to use the equalizer to lower a frequency range than to boost it. Boosting can easily put a strain on the system.

But, as usual, it's your system and you can use it as you please. We don't have your ears.

I've used Soundcraftsmen EQ for probably four-decades. My current favorite is the third-octave Pro-EQ-44 which is normally paired with the Pro-Control-Four but can be found by itself. The older models have more troublesome, sticky, slide pots but can be had for next to nothing. The Soundcraftsmen stuff utilizes Zero-Gain LEDs so you're not boosting the overall signal but instead tailoring your curve to keep the gain to zero. Very easy to use and all have a defeat switch.

I'm using a Realistic Model 31-2000A eq. Very nice looking silver faced eq. Works well and has gain match controls. It's only 10 bands though. Don't get anything less then 10 band.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. It's good to know what's out there. But I am also interested in knowing if anyone knows specifically about the build and audio quality of EQ units, comparatively.

I see quite a few examples of graphic EQ units made by all the different home audio companies that were making components in the 70s and 80s on Ebay and other places online... but there is really very little real info I can find in terms of indepth reviews speaking about the components used in these units and the audiophile sound quality. Sure, how something looks is important to me, but even more important is knowing which units are very high quality audio units and are built with very good quality components.

Anyone with any experience / knowledge of specifics about the various EQ units from, for example, Marantz, Pioneer, Audio Control, MXR, Yamaha, etc.? ( By the way BMWCCA... thanks for your input on the Soundcraftsmen units ).

The Soundcraftsmen model PE2215 uses LCR networks for each of the bands. Soundcraftsmen build quality is very good.

JVC one of the inventors of the SEA graphic equalizer, made some very very nice equalizers in the 70s and 80s.

Some of their best work was with the SEA 80 and my favorite, the SEA R7

I'm seeing the R7 going for anywhere from 70-150 on eBay, though there is only one listed right now for over $200. The sea 80 also goes for around 70-150.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You should check out the Yamaha "Natural Sound" EQ's as you don't need any added distortion. Or, as little distortion added as possible. That's why allot of people don't use an EQ, but the Yamaha EQ-630 only has 0.006% of distortion (THD)....

I will also suggest one use case not really discussed here-- I've found that if you have noisy FM reception, a lot of it can be suppressed by sliding down the top end with the EQ. Yes, you're losing some of the sound, but you're also losing a lot of the hiss. At least that's been my experience with the little five-band SEA equalizers in JVC recievers.

Why go vintage? Get a Rane 31-bander. My father swears by his, and he did signal processing R&D for a living.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. It's good to know what's out there. But I am also interested in knowing if anyone knows specifically about the build and audio quality of EQ units, comparatively.

I see quite a few examples of graphic EQ units made by all the different home audio companies that were making components in the 70s and 80s on Ebay and other places online... but there is really very little real info I can find in terms of indepth reviews speaking about the components used in these units and the audiophile sound quality. Sure, how something looks is important to me, but even more important is knowing which units are very high quality audio units and are built with very good quality components.

Anyone with any experience / knowledge of specifics about the various EQ units from, for example, Marantz, Pioneer, Audio Control, MXR, Yamaha, etc.? ( By the way BMWCCA... thanks for your input on the Soundcraftsmen units ).
the frequency range can vary by brand, for example my sansui se 9 range is only from 80hz, to 10khz, no idea why they did this, I would try to get as close to 20/20 as possible

Last edited:
I have also used EQs when needed, especially with challenging speakers and a challenging room. Brands I've used include Kenwood, JVC, Realistic, Pioneer, and ADC. By far, the ADC Sound Shaper One 10 Mk II has been my favorite. 10 Bands so you don't go crazy fiddling with them, but a low end of 31Hz and top end of 16 kHz should cover off most your sound.

What I liked most about it was when set completely flat, you could turn the defeat on or off, and there was no change in tone or volume.

These units are typically available for $100 or less, and also usually need a good cleaning due to their age.

JVC one of the inventors of the SEA graphic equalizer, made some very very nice equalizers in the 70s and 80s.

Some of their best work was with the SEA 80 and my favorite, the SEA R7

I'm seeing the R7 going for anywhere from 70-150 on eBay, though there is only one listed right now for over $200. The sea 80 also goes for around 70-150.

View attachment 804977
View attachment 804979
YUP, SEA 80 is great! Love the Spectrum Analyzer bouncing to the grooves and adds nothing when set flat, weather on or off, doesn't color the music.

Back
Top Bottom