Chorus I upgrades?

Going in one step at a time tomorrow

Out with the old and in with the new. I was personally very impressed. It for lack of a better term it cleaned up and enlarged my whole sound area. If I had to put a number on it I would say 20% better. I’m so happy that I did it and it was very easy. Bob Crites Took a phone call from me mid upgrade.

Attachments

• AEA0D3BD-AD2D-41AD-B6BB-5C5CD175C50C.jpeg
    AEA0D3BD-AD2D-41AD-B6BB-5C5CD175C50C.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2D7B9AAF-30AD-4375-8A99-2BEF9BF3ECFB.jpeg
    2D7B9AAF-30AD-4375-8A99-2BEF9BF3ECFB.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 708945C5-0C91-4CB7-AA7D-E4CB8C5F4A0F.jpeg
    708945C5-0C91-4CB7-AA7D-E4CB8C5F4A0F.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 17
E86CB984-3BBC-4F04-A8C3-745ABA38E802.jpeg
Out with the old and in with the new. I was personally very impressed. It for lack of a better term it cleaned up and enlarged my whole sound area. If I had to put a number on it I would say 20% better. I’m so happy that I did it and it was very easy. Bob Crites Took a phone call from me mid upgrade.

So I was not unhappy with my original Chorus. I wanted to make something I love better and it worked! After the first speaker was done I ran them side by side. The upgraded speaker was way crisper and dominant. Sounded like the balance was tilted to it’s side then....speaker 2 :) 100% worth it. Glad I didn’t need a meter to detect the difference. I also moved my speakers before upgrading which also helped my room.

Attachments

• 0DBA7524-2738-4808-9C21-D47EEB330DC8.jpeg
    0DBA7524-2738-4808-9C21-D47EEB330DC8.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 18
View attachment 1370962

FYI the gaskets around the horns and woofer are pretty fragile. Taking a little extra time on pulling the speakers out of the cabinets and installing saved them

So I was not unhappy with my original Chorus. I wanted to make something I love better and it worked! After the first speaker was done I ran them side by side. The upgraded speaker was way crisper and dominant. Sounded like the balance was tilted to it’s side then....speaker 2 :) 100% worth it. Glad I didn’t need a meter to detect the difference. I also moved my speakers before upgrading which also helped my room.

Attachments

• 327666ED-3539-4D7B-87CB-B7C12F1EB477.jpeg
    327666ED-3539-4D7B-87CB-B7C12F1EB477.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 22
View attachment 1371176 Sorry I missed this thread but there is an alternative to Crites. On EBay there are MAHL drop in replacement tweeters for anything that uses this size tweeter horn lens like the K-79 footprint. Instead of replacing a diaphragm you replace the whole tweeter. There is a clamp plate with it and machined from solid Aluminum just like the lens body is it fits many different drivers. The clamp plate most get is set up to mount the B&C DE120 and DE110 and my favorite the DE10 which tests the best of them all and is the cheapest to. There is also another clamp plate which has a 1 3/8 18 threaded center for all threaded drivers. Faital HF102 and HF100 also fit here. Far superior to just replacing a diaphragm and it is the very first direct drop in replacement for this size tweeter.

Those look amazing looking. When I get another itch it’s in the realm

I would think choosing the right location in a room for your speakers and listening position would be much more satisfying than tuning the ports on your speakers. You might want to invest in a FFT or 1/6 th octave spectrums analyzer APP for your computer and a calibrated. test microphone that will feed a USB input. It will be an invest for a life time. Something that just buying tubes won't!

I didn’t get a meter but did experiment. Moving the speakers into the corners was a dramatic change.

ok I thought it worth one more post. My first night with the upgrades was an awesome and high volume thunderfest. Loved it. However the following day I ran at very low volume. This is where I noticed the range and placement of sound had been dramatically improved. I was thinking it would improve somewhat and I could praise Crites upgrades to justify $350. Not so. These speakers came alive high to low. You will not be disappointed at all if your in a situation like mine.

try raising your Chorus up so the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level.

I’m going move the end tables under my speakers after my littlest ones go back to their moms Sunday. Definitely worth a test

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 19
I’m going move the end tables under my speakers after my littlest ones go back to their moms Sunday. Definitely worth a test

I think they will make the speakers way to high. I have chorus 1's and they have the original risers and when I sit in my recliner at my lp the mids are already at my ear level so I don't get why people are raising them so much. I would sit at your lp and see where your ears are in respect to the mids and then raise them if you need but to just raise them buy a foot or two is just guessing. I think a more precise measurement would work better. Just my 2 cents.

I think they will make the speakers way to high. I have chorus 1's and they have the original risers and when I sit in my recliner at my lp the mids are already at my ear level so I don't get why people are raising them so much. I would sit at your lp and see where your ears are in respect to the mids and then raise them if you need but to just raise them buy a foot or two is just guessing. I think a more precise measurement would work better. Just my 2 cents.

no guessing, set the speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level, what ever that is and you are done.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Maili...0536&sr=1-1&keywords=Scotch+Mailing+Tube+7982
This is the one "Tube" I've found that may fit, but haven't tried it yet.

Update: I found/tried one of those Scotch tubes & it's BARELY too big. Rolled up paper (like Morey suggested) works, but still looking for a more permanent solution. Parts express has a 4" x 4" 3/8 long port others online have used successfully. May try those, but was aiming for a 6" - 7" port length. I know I can lengthen the 4" 3/8 ones, but I want the smoothest airflow possible to prevent chuffing (I'd rather have the factory 45hz than a "chuff" )

no guessing, set the speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level, what ever that is and you are done.

Hey MJ. I have mine set correctly. If you read my post you quoted I was telling Jak to not guess and that just putting his speakers on the end tables wasn't going to work and that I don't understand why people are guessing instead of doing it correctly. My LP loung chair worked out to be perfect for my Chorus's to be just right. :thumbsup:

no guessing, set the speakers up so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level, what ever that is and you are done.[/QUOTE

What a crazy difference it made. It sounded much clearer of course but again over a substantial listenin period it really did open up the sound. Mid is at 32” and needs to go to 45”. I don’t have any risers to bring them up. With the weight of the speakers and louder volume I sometimes listen at causing speaker movement, I don’t even know what to use. It would be sweet if you could have ordered these with an extra 13 inches on the originals :) if it was just in a separate room of my own I would use anything to get them up where I needed them but I’m a single dad and my living room is their living room :) so I’m wanting something not only safe and solid but at least acceptable looking… see attached for speaker and what a difference a little hifi can make to a Nintendo Wii dance game :)

Attachments

• F7605B97-EEA5-44EA-8EFE-D272154A361B.jpeg
    F7605B97-EEA5-44EA-8EFE-D272154A361B.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13
I use Skylan Stands custom four post stands they look like these (remove the old dated looking risers).
I only have this picture of this Harbeth M40 but this will give you a good idea of how your speaker will look on a pair like these. This works with all horn loudspeakers just so you know mid at your seated ear level and you are in the sweet spot.

Attachments

• Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg
    Skylan Stands with Harbeth M40.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 19
I don't know if you got any thing for the ports yet, but I used 4 in abs for them
you guys can experiment with any length of vent all you need is rolled up heavy craft paper. With a pair of scissors some tape and a little time, cost you pennies you can try any any all lengths you like in an evening of listening then pick the length you like and make a more permanent tube if you want to but paper works as well as a plastic or cardboard tube.

Reactions: JAK
Got Chorus IIs did the Crites tweet upgrade was a big improvement replaced them myself if I can do it anyone can! Thinking about the crossovers but they sound so great now can’t imagine . Will end up doing after the 1st of the year.
Mr Crites is super accessible and helpful guy!
Good luck with your chorus Is

This is going to sound odd. But I just upgraded the caps in my Quartet crossovers. First i did one and then compared while hooked up to my Kenwood KR 7400. The difference was there but it seemed very subtle. Almost not even recognizable. THEN i hooked them up to my Sansui AU 317. Wow! The difference was night and day! The refreshed caps really came through. Cleaner, crisper, much better highs and mids and tighter bass. The one without new caps had more of a muddy bass. Full disclosure, I didnt use Crites crossovers, I just did mine with dayton caps @ the same values. At first I was a doubter as to the potential difference, now I am a believer. They are both done now. Odds are good that Crites crossovers will sound even better than mine do. The man is an expert and Im just learning about it. But Im quite pleased with the results.

Last edited:
I've seen installing the 7" port tubes numerous times, I'm going to give it a try on mine. Question, is the 7" from the outside face of the motor board or the inside ?

Back
Top Bottom