Chorus II placement

Yeah, waiting to be assembled with tweeter and horn, midrange and horn, woofer and crossovers all from Crites and the original one that he sold with the PH800 Horn(see below). I also have Alk engineering crossovers with a wooden horn (to upgrade a stock cornwall). As for room, I used to have my Cornwalls next to my Chorus II all on one wall. The Cornwalls were for two channel stereo and the Chorus IIs were part of a 7.1 surround system(w' forte, quartet as surrounds and SW15 as sub) good times then the Denon broke.

flushmountwithgrilles_med.jpeg

You must have a huge room.

Funny, I have my Chorus II's in a 5.1 HT system as mains with Klipsch surrounds (SS-1). Easy for the relatively lightweight HT receiver to drive.

Someday I'll run them in a nice stereo system, but they will have some stiff competition form some old Infinity towers.

You must have a huge room.

Funny, I have my Chorus II's in a 5.1 HT system as mains with Klipsch surrounds (SS-1). Easy for the relatively lightweight HT receiver to drive.

Someday I'll run them in a nice stereo system, but they will have some stiff competition form some old Infinity towers.
It's actually an apartment.

Mine are 24 inches from the wall behind in a small living room and I sit just slightly further away than they are apart. They have crites rebuilt xovers and titanium tweeters. Unless I move to a larger room and try cornscalas I will never use different speakers for stereo music listening. Only the room size limits the bass extension and if I open all the windows and sliding door I can make all my neighbors stoned just playing bob marleys legend album at high volume.

These are my thoughts and apply to any speaker. Place one speaker away from from a wall. Take a sound level meter and with the meter placed at tweeter height at 4 ft distance then back away until the volume stops dropping while producing pink noise. Thats the maximum distance you should sit from your speaker to get the best definition and yet allow the sound of the room help re-enforce the speakers lower frequencies. Then place your speakers against a wall and pull away until the bass response smooths out. Then start moving the speakers further apart until you reach about a 60 degree angle viewed from your listening position. If you start to hear a diminish in high frequencies or a hole in the middle turn your speakers in slightly until the desired response has returned and the hole has disappeared. I deally the surface behind you should disperse the sound not reflect it back. The distance should be some where between 10 to 15 ft so the sound coming back is suppressed by the Hass effect if you want to emphasize the direct sound from the speaker. If you want more ambient sound move further from the speakers and a closer to the rear wall. Now if the bass is a little thin you have to move the speakers closer to the corners angling them in. Pushing them against the wall will emphasize mid bass,

I have mine sitting in the middle of a room, which is not ideal, and they still sound great. If I dial in a little more bass they sound like they are 18" inches out from a real wall, so that works too. Awesome speaker that can handle any amount of power without breaking up (don't try that with a Cornwall). Mine have upgraded Crites crossovers and titanium diaphragms (I think I liked the stock sound better). Anyway, if I could get that kind of jack for mine, I'd sell them tomorrow. Nice, but not that nice. Plus, they are pretty easy to find around here.

IMG_2632.JPG IMG_2633.JPG
I've set my Chorus II's about 25" from the front wall and approx.8' apart and they sound incredible!

Attachments

• IMG_2634.JPG
    IMG_2634.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 5
01623C18-0D86-4959-AD2E-32F1AC657E84.jpeg My Chorus II’s (w/ Crites tweeters and xover) are about 8” from the front wall, 8’ feet between them and listening position 15’ away. Room is 14’ wide and almost 30’ deep with vaulted ceiling. A Nuprime IDA-8 integrated/DAC handles all the signal processing and power and this set up totally delivers the hifi goods (imaging, dimensionality, detail, dynamics, sound stage, etc) at a level that’s not too far removed from some of the best systems I assembled in an acoustically treated dedicated listening space...including Altec 19’s with some very fine tube gear and also class A Pass First Watt power, big vintage Infinity (QLS-1), JBL (L250), Magnepan (MG-III) and big Acoustats powered by high current Threshold, Aragon and White Oak modded Phase Linear 700B.

IMO, anyone saying they aren’t impressed by or satisfied with their Chorus II’s has failed to tap into the potential that lies within these speakers. Could be the room, gear, positioning...always lots of variables in this hobby...but magic is there if you can get all the stars aligned. It’s DEFINITELY there. When I auditioned these they were powered by a big restored Pioneer receiver and that combination did nothing to fuel my enthusiasm. I bought them on faith that I could coax a little magic out of them and ultimately got a lot more magic than I expected. I’ve been through a good number of very nice vintage speakers, all heard in a nearly ideal listening space, with highly regarded upstream electronics, and have experienced several exceptional modern designs (Devore Orangutans being a favorite) and the Chorus II’s have the potential to offer A LOT of bang for the buck. Even with my less than ideal placement they impress.

Michael

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom