Christmas Tree Train Layout....

I have an N scale layout in my basement. Got all the track laid and wired in blocks so I can have some locos sitting idle while others operate on other parts of the layout. About 8 months ago my youngest Great Dane roared downstairs, went straight under the layout, and ripped big chunks of the wiring loose. I haven't had the energy to go back and do it over, so I have been working on the scenery instead.

.....I have a couple of transformers in storage I used for an HO-scale layout....I could use them for N-scale, right?....also, can you get N-scale track in longer lengths?....like 2 or 3 feet long?.....

.....I have a couple of transformers in storage I used for an HO-scale layout....I could use them for N-scale, right?....also, can you get N-scale track in longer lengths?....like 2 or 3 feet long?.....

An HO transformer will work on N. You can buy "flex" track in those lengths. the track can be flexed to make any curve you like, but is a bit more difficult to setup properly - but if done well provider smoother track, and give better conductivity. "Snap" track sections are the easiest but you have lots of connections.

Here are pics of my Christmas layout - "G" scale.

Attachments

• christmas train.jpg
    christmas train.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 52
  • train.jpg
    train.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

HO and N scale both use the same transfomers, so that is fine. If you really want to get into N scale, look into using code 55 track instead of the common code 80. It just looks so much better. My layout was built to go under the Christmas tree, but then we got cats. I had to build a case around it. This one is code 80 track but my next layout will be much bigger and will be made with all Atlas code 55 track and switches.

Attachments

• P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
HO and N scale both use the same transfomers, so that is fine. If you really want to get into N scale, look into using code 55 track instead of the common code 80. It just looks so much better. My layout was built to go under the Christmas tree, but then we got cats. I had to build a case around it. This one is code 80 track but my next layout will be much bigger and will be made with all Atlas code 55 track and switches.

Nice!
I took my N scale layout down a couple of years ago. I have about 30 freight and passenger cars and about 12 engines. I also have a nice MRC controller and MRC sound generator, which can do either diesel or steam sounds.

An HO transformer will work on N. You can buy "flex" track in those lengths. the track can be flexed to make any curve you like, but is a bit more difficult to setup properly - but if done well provider smoother track, and give better conductivity. "Snap" track sections are the easiest but you have lots of connections.

Here are pics of my Christmas layout - "G" scale.

Nice Christmas layout! I would like to put my LGB train out, but it just takes up too much room.

Nice Christmas layout! I would like to put my LGB train out, but it just takes up too much room.

My wife lets me have 1/4 of the living room for one month. I move the furniture back. The train runs under the tree as shown, down past the fireplace and around a coffee table on the other side of the room, and back again past the Christmas village on the fireplace.

Isn't LGB, but Bachmann, not as nice, but suits me. The passenger cars have since been converted to interior LED's which run on 9 volt batteries for a long time.

The track is cheap Bachmann hollow tin, and over the years, its getting a bit bent and beat up. I need to replace it with solid rail such as LGB, Aristocraft, or such, but that is about $5/foot! If this gets stepped on, it collapses and bends, the solid core won't.

Did you see my dog watching the train in the lower right corner of the train under the Christmas tree?

My wife lets me have 1/4 of the living room for one month. I move the furniture back. The train runs under the tree as shown, down past the fireplace and around a coffee table on the other side of the room, and back again past the Christmas village on the fireplace.

Isn't LGB, but Bachmann, not as nice, but suits me. The passenger cars have since been converted to interior LED's which run on 9 volt batteries for a long time.

The track is cheap Bachmann hollow tin, and over the years, its getting a bit bent and beat up. I need to replace it with solid rail such as LGB, Aristocraft, or such, but that is about $5/foot! If this gets stepped on, it collapses and bends, the solid core won't.

Did you see my dog watching the train in the lower right corner of the train under the Christmas tree?

Hey, the Bachman stuff is nice! Yep, saw the dog. We just got a new sofa and love seat in the living room, so not much room left to put the LGB stuff up.
Yeah, that G scale track is pretty expensive! I would like to make an outdoor layout, but at the price of the track it would be pretty costly!

I have my track all layer out and today I plan on some landscaping. Last night I ran one of my Kato loco's for several minutes without any glitches. So far so good. I hope to post some more pics tomorrow of the progress .

Speaking of "G" scale, there is a local restaurant owner who has one huge freaking backyard layout that easily encompasses a 1/4 acre (probably more) and opens his home to the public for a few nights around Christmas. Pretty amazing and high end train layout.

.....Thanks, Cgutz and Purple....I'm interested in maybe trying N gauge....you could run trains with over twice the rolling stock, (cars), over HO, with the same sized layout....

.....Thanks, Cgutz and Purple....I'm interested in maybe trying N gauge....you could run trains with over twice the rolling stock, (cars), over HO, with the same sized layout....

That is one of the reasons I went with N scale. Long trains. In the space size yes you can run a train about twice as long. But in N scale you can run much much longer trains than HO. That is one of the great things about N, the increadable long trains that you can run.

The one in the picture I posted chases its own tail, it is a 2-8-8-2 with tender and 23 coal cars plus a caboose. I could pull a longer train with this one engine but it would be too long for the little track.

Beware though it can be addictive. I have about 30 or more engines and hundreds of cars. This is just the start, all the little buildings, landscape, track, switches, etc. add up quick. For my next layout I already have over 90' of code 55 track and dozens of switches. Thats over 2 and a half scale miles of track alone. And I plan on more. Very addictive.

I recommend reading every thing you can find before jumping in though. Learn from the mistakes of others before wasting time and money.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine in the Chicagoland area has an incredible Garden Train layout. He's been building model railroad trains since the 1970's and is very good at it! Check out this link.

More Pics

Yesterday and today I spent time putting some touches on the landscape. Here are some pics after the track was laid down and tested. I used some brown spray paint to paint the rail road ties and some textured speckled spray paint for the the ground and rock formations. I also used Durham's Water Putty to provide some much needed strength and rigidity to the rocks. You can also use plaster or hydrocal but the Durham stuff is much easier to get and works well and sets up pretty fast with a nice durable hard finish that can even be sculpted if needed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 64
Pics continued....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image_6.jpg
    image_6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image_7.jpg
    image_7.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image_8.jpg
    image_8.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 58
Some ground cover added....

I will add some trees, structures, and other details before it is all said and done and the work on this layout may have to continue after this Christmas and into the next. I'm sure my grandson will be thoroughly entertained even if it isn't completely finished by this Christmas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Detail_5.jpg
    Detail_5.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Detail_4.jpg
    Detail_4.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 57