Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by Poultrygeist, Jul 11, 2017.
At Best Buy for $25. Haven't seen them this cheap since last Christmas.
That's a good deal. I just re-hooked up my CCA this afternoon. Works great with Logitech Media Server.
I just wanted to throw something in here, even though it might not be relevant to this exact discussion. You never know, someone might find this looking for information about the CCA.
Personally, I was pretty disappointed with the results I got. It did not sound as clean as a direct source, and there was noticeable lag. These issues were enough to get me to box mine back up and toss it in the next room.
I tried giving it away to some close friends and could not even get any takers. The one person who would have wanted it is a computer tech and programmer and built something superior for his household.
Were you using it's internal DAC or a stand alone DAC?
Even this $20 Fiio D3 connected to the CCA optical output made a huge improvement vs it's internal DAC.
What streaming service are you using? I have 3 CCAs in different rooms and they all sound great streaming Spotify Premium. How fast is your Internet? What kind of router? Sounds like something was being dropped.
The Google Store has them for $25 each shipped periodically as well. That's where I got mine. Just keep an eye on it.
I now have three CCA's and use them with three different stand alone DAC's ( Schiit Modi MB, Audio GD NFB 11 and Fiio D3 ).
When I tried the CCA using it's internal DAC I was disappointed with it's SQ.
Any stand alone DAC used with the CCA should take it to another level.
I have two of this setup (D3 & CCA) for two systems. Very satisfied with sound quality.
Okay, so it is unanimous. I need a standalone DAC for it.
I am back to using it as of tonight, anyway.
I bought a new stereo stand and now there is no room for the media PC.
Good to know that the sound quality is due to the internal DAC, I will look into it. The lag - I can deal with. That is definitely it not keeping up with the source. I wonder if there is a way I can slow down my source side to "sync" it?
I am missing something here.
It's a $25 (sale price) device.
What's the cheapest DAC anybody's used with it?
Does that not at least double the cost?
Seems like the math does not add up here
$50 is not expensive for what you get in return. If you subscribe to a streaming music service it's a no brainer. I probably listen to Pandora Plus 75% of the time with the other 25% split between CDs and LPs.
What can you get to stream audio that is better than the Chromecast for less than $50.00?
I don't agree that you need an external DAC (unless, in blind testing, you can consistently tell the difference between the internal one and the external one you plan to use, and consistently pick the external as the better sounding). I also don't understand what you're talking about as far as "lag" and "not keeping up with the source." How are you using the CCA?
Mine works and sounds great plugged direct into Aux.
Sounds to me like you have Internet issues.
I agree - mine sounds fine connected to my Aux port ... but for another $25 I would not mind the experiment to see if the sound improves ... The sound improves just by tinkering with the settings for the Chromecast (which I learned thanks to a fellow AK'er) and I am thinking about a 2nd chromecast for the office setup ... so I can mute the sound when a call comes in ...
Here are John Darko's comments regarding the CCA's internal DAC:
No, it is not an internet issue.
I have this problem if and when I use the ChromeCast in conjunction with a video file from a media center PC. It does not matter if it is internet (YouTube) or direct from the HDD. The video takes off and the sound lags behind it.
I know that this is not the intended use of the ChromeCast, but it is one that I tried and was unhappy with.
They stay tracked together, but the audio is always about half a second behind.
Also, before anyone asks, I have no issues when running directly off the media center.
I will mess around with the external DAC stuff at another time, if for no other reason than to see. I have no predisposition to either, so I should be able to stay somewhat objective about it.
^ Are you using a Chromecast or a Chromecast Audio?
Do I understand this correctly, that a SBT can grab or stream something to a 2 channel system, or the SBT can stream to the CCA which can then send it to say another 2 channel system?
I don't know what to do with all this sh.. I keep buying! The Mani is still in the box in the corner next to another schiit piece.
Do i really need to plug all this stuff in?? Just kidding, it's the combinations which are confusing me
Separate names with a comma.