Chromecast Audio delay?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Erik Tracy, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I'm now trying to trouble shoot CCA audio dropouts as I get consistent but random audio dropouts; sometimes I can go a couple of minutes with none, then within the span of 30 seconds I'll get 3, 4, or more.

I'm using my win7 laptop as the casting device, and jazz88.org 'listen live' browser option for the audio source.

So, I opened another Chrome tab to duplicated the jazz88.org feed to see if I could hear dropouts on my laptop AND the CCA, or just the CCA.

But the music is way out of sync. The CCA is a full 13-15 seconds BEHIND the laptop speaker.

????

Haven't been able to isolate dropouts yet, as I'm in a 'good window' right now.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

How far away is CCA from your router? Could be a lot of noise/interference on whatever channel your network is using. Can Try to adjust Wi-Fi channel in your router administration or move CCA around to better reception.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

The wifi router is on the second floor in the master bedroom, practically just above the CCA which is downstairs - a straight shot of about 15 feet up.

The laptop is about 20 feet away from the CCA.

Just heard a CCA dropout that wasn't on the laptop.

Hmmm....

4. eizner23

eizner23 Active Member

can you get a steady stream from laptop to CCA playing an mp3 file from laptop?

What model router do you have?

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I've got one of the 'problematic' routers listed on Chromes website: TPLink Archer C7, but I'm connected to the CCA using the 'recommended' 2.4GHz band, same for my older win7 laptop.

Have not tried casting a local file.

Can you cast from different laptops or smartphones to a single CCA (one at a time of course)?

I may try that as well.

TIA!

6. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was having these kind of problems and ended up getting a new router from my ISP. Not a problem since.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

NEVER get a router from your ISP, period. Most of the ones that have issues are from ISP's. They charge so much for them it is ridiculous. Same with Cable modems.

I am using an ASUS router with no issues - I do keep up with the Firmware updates.

8. GChief

Well have had zero problems with it for 5 months and the service is the same price with or without their router so no $$ difference.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I really only wanted the CCA to stream my one favorite station, so it seems a$s backwards to me to have to get a new $100 router (or pay a monthly ransom fee to Wrecktum cable) to use a $30 CCA.

Still gonna try some more troubleshooting, but if it turns out to be the router - well, I'll just live with the dropouts for now.

10. GChief

If it is a router problem it’s not the CCA. The CCA is just “seeing” the problem when other devices aren’t.

Or at least that’s how our IT weenies explained it to me... yes weenies

11. botrytis

It can be a CCA issue. Many Android devices have been having issues with WiFi since a recent update (CCA is one).

12. GChief

That’s good to know

13. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Cheap routers will sometimes reassign an IP address that’s already in use, which will cause lots of issues. Try shutting down the router, and ALL WiFi client devices, then restart everything, beginning with the router. Best to assign static IP addresses to your devices, to avoid any potential conflicts.

ldatlof likes this.
  14. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I suppose, but I've had a cmd window open since this morning and ping the CCA when I start having dropouts - it's been the same IP all morning.

15. botrytis

Just because it is the same IP, doesn't mean there isn't issues with the unit.

from a CCA discussion on google groups.

Make sure each base station has UPnP *enabled*.
    Make sure each base station *does not block or filter* Multicast packets, especially in multi-base station configurations.
    And here are some additional tips for those running DD-WRT
    Make sure each radio *does not disable ACK timing*.
    Make sure each radio uses *long preamble*.
    CCA group configuration information is stored on the CCA you initially select when creating a CCA group. You can "see" group info by using a "network scanner" app that shows Bonjour service info. Note that after adding/deleting/recreating CCA groups...when attempting to resolve group casting issues...it is possible to create a group *with the same name* on two different CCA devices, though the group only appears once in the Google Home app. I think this hidden/duplicate group creates confusion during group playback...causing some CCAs to drop out and/or other weird issues; the Google Home app definitely becomes confused when this happens and behaves erratically. Deleting/recreating the group usually *does not* solve this problem. The solution is to factory data reset (rather than a simple reboot...) the CCAs that may be storing group info (to delete the Bonjour service info), complete initial CCA setup again, and finally recreate the CCA group. It may be easiest to factory data reset all of the CCAs in the group...and start over if you're not sure.
    Note also that some CCA-enabled apps can be flaky, especially if the "controlling device" (i.e. the device from which you initiate the audio stream...usually an app on a phone/tablet) disconnects/reconnects to the LAN during the group cast session. CCA-enabled apps generally initiate an audio stream on the CCA itself ---the audio stream is cast directly from your base station to your CCAs--- and *does not* first go through the phone/tablet. Note, however, that some apps and newer versions of Android will attempt to reconnect to an ongoing cast stream if your phone/tablet disconnects/reconnects to the LAN. Thus, when troubleshooting CCA groups it's often helpful to disconnect the controlling device from the LAN once a cast session is initiated in order to isolate app/Android issues from CCA group/LAN issues. In some cases, it may also help to disable Android battery optimization for CCA-enabled apps, which is recommended by Pandora.
    Hope this helps! :p

16. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Yes, but that IP may also be in use by another device, which will cause the sort of issues you’re seeing. It’s unlikely, but possible. Also, switching WiFi channels may help if other routers nearby are on the channel you’re using.

17. House de Kris

House de Kris Loud-n-Deep

I'm glad you started this thread. I don't have an answer, but at least I know others are having the same issues I have. In my case, I can go many minutes without an issue, then there's a rash of them. Although, I'm not sure we're having the same issue. In my case, I never notice anything out of the ordinary when using the analog outputs. But, I get 'dropouts' when using the SPDIF output. It is like it sends an illegal condition and that causes my recorder to halt. Frustrating. Makes me think I should have just gotten a USB-to-SPDIF converter for my laptop and just skipped the whole Android angle. In my case, I hope it's not the router, as I have no control over that.

18. drew_t

drew_t Well-Known Member

If you have an Android phone, install the Bubble UPnP app, use the jazz station's streaming url -- http://ksds-ice.streamguys.com/ksds.mp3 -- as a playlist item, and select the CCA as the "renderer."

19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

I'm using the analog outs and I'm getting more and more serious dropouts as I type; like the stream stutters for 5 seconds at a time now.

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

So, to re-ask my question; can I have two different devices 'see' the CCA and cast to it as a test if it's my laptop or its internal wifi card/driver?

Or do I need to run setup for a different laptop that would then 'steal' the CCA from my current laptop?