Klipsch Heresy
Altec Bolero 890C
Kef XQ1
Martin Logan LX16
and a bunch that just passed like poop through a goose

In my 70s, so long list:
Altec Segovia
JBL L-150 (still in use)
Boston Acoustics A40 (stored JBLs to protect from kids)
Boston Acoustics T-830, T-930, T-1030, VR-975 sequentially
JBL L-150
JBL L-220
Altec 846b
JBL 4333
JBL L-300
JBL 4343
JBL 4345
Bozak Concert Grand
JBL 4350
JBL Array 1400
JBL Everest DD67000
Revel Salon 2

Scores of others, large and small, in other rooms over the years. Total number of pairs owned over the years, 250-300, maybe more. Currently in use: Everest, Salon 2, L-300, Array 1400, L-150, L-220, L-110. Need to sell about 30-40 pairs of extras (mostly JBL) that are not in use and that I shouldn’t leave for my wife to dispose of when l kick off, including extra sets of Everests, Array 1400, L-300 (3 or 4 extra pairs), 4343 (3 or 4 extra pairs), 4350 (2 pairs), L-150 (3 extra pairs) and a bunch of others. Pretty pathetic when I commit this all to paper. Married to the same woman for 47 years, too. She’s more amazing than that list.

Just emailed an offer on a pair of bookshelf speakers... Help!!

Last edited:
Started my adventure in April 2017, when I was schooled by an audio-enthusiast friend that the old tube amp/pre-amp in my garage which I inherited from my dad were not junk...Marantz 7, 8b. Oh and the speakers? Bozak B-302a's. Still have them all, minty fresh after a visit to Brooks Berdan in LA. Got the Marantz 20b tuner last week, but it was borked by FedEx--crushed wood cabinet, minor corner bend on faceplate. Anyone know a good resource for straightening faceplates? Got an AR integrated amp and a couple of bent HH Scott early tube pieces that could use some help...

Anyway, First speakers:
1977: New Large Advents, purchased new: $399 First "adult" purchase summer of freshman year in college. Re-coned and back in the rotation with a set of Klipsch KG 2.2's on top-very nice combo!

Then a 40-year long wilderness experience of biblical proportion, until 2017awakening-- then (in Alphabetic order)

Altec 7's in custom cab (awaiting arrival)
AR 3A (awaiting arrival in pieces and excited to restore them to former glory)
Ar 4x (fully restored thanks to some great AK posts)
AR-6's next to be restored
Bozak B-302A's (see above, purchased new in 1963, sitting in storage because they're HUGE and have a very low WAF)
Dynaco A-25's (two pair, unrestored)
JBL 4312's minty GW find. Cost a crap-ton to ship to CA from MN--but SO WORTH IT. Top 3 for sure.
JBL L40's-reconed and refinished
JBL L110 (fair condition)
JBL L100 (nice but need refreshing)
KLH 6, 20, 22, 23 in various states of needing help
Klipsch Heresy (soon to push the Advent NLA out of the rotation), KG 2.2 (amazing small speakers)
Yorkville YSM-1: never heard of them, bought 'em cheap and surprisingly nice sound

Got my eye on some Dahlquist DQ-10's and Pioneer HPM-100's in minty shape available locally.

Don't get me started on the tube/SS equipment/turntables that have followed me home.

Dusting off a 35 yr old EE degree and building some fine test equipment/skills to recap/refresh all the interesting finds.

Optimus 2B's
Optimus 1B's
DQ10's
"Thunder Lizard's" :biggrin:
8" 2way HLK's, don't remember model number
Realistic T-200's
Imperial 7's
Imperial 6's
Sansui SP-2000's
Overnight Sensation kits
BR-1 kits
Original Large Advents
Warfedale W-90's

I have owned 8 pairs pairs of speakers over 57 years. But that doesn't tell the entire story. As I worked for a pro and consumer sound company I was always dragging something home to audition, or keep while waiting for new speakers to arrive from the different factories. So lets's start in no particular order with some mistakes I'm sure.

Stephens 12" with Oxford tweeter in Davis Cabinets, 8 " model also
Altec Cornado, Carmel, Valencia, 604E, 619 in custom Cabinets, Altec A7- 800 with 515 and 802 drivers
EV-6
Bozak B-410, 4000, 4005, 313, 510 ?
KLH 9, KLH 5 and 6
Klipsch Cornwall, Hersey, and Belle
Mcintosh ML-1c, ML 1052, XR-7, XRT 22
AR3, AR-3a, AR-9
B&0 5700/02, M-70,
M&K S7, S150, subs with Dual 8" , M350, S5 , + more I forget.
JBL Harkness and Hartsfield, with ring radiator s,
Emilar 800 horn with driver, with dual 12 woofers in custom boxes .
Beta 065, 075, 095 as I remember.
Couple of Frazers, but I don't remember the models.
Yamaha NS 1000 Ebony. 690, teak

But there was one speaker I wanted to drag home and try, but it was so beautiful I knew some one wouldn't let me take it back, so I didn't. Two systems with ring radiators were enough. The JBL Paragon. There are speakers on my Bucket list right now. Magico S7 and JBL DD67000. oh and a Tannoy GRF 90.

Boston Acoustics A400
Acoustic Research AR3a
Magnepan SMGa (destroyed in shipping, held on to them for years anyway, gave up in the end)
Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2-2B-1 towers, matching center, Infinity Entra Sub Two
Martin Logan reQuests

Last edited:
Holy price tag Batman! Twiiii--you've got some exquisite and expensive bucket list taste!

Started off with some $50 Altec Lansing desktop 2.1 computer speaker, then moved up to a pair of KLH 22 rescues. Then to a pair, then to two pair of Domus Omni cabs.

Will eventually be inheriting some nice JBLs from grandma.

I lost track after awhile. My 1st ones were from my Aiwa system. Then as follows Jensen (don't know model), Wharfedale Mach 3, Realistic Nova 10, Realistic Mach One, Klipsch KG 4, Kef C45, Kef C200. Now they run together, AR2AX, Onkyo 25, KLH 6, KLH 5, Wharfedale W70, Epicure Model 20+, Time Frame TF700, Polk 10a, Vandersteen 1B. THERE HAS TO BE MORE!! lol.

Wow, this thread is great! I loved hearing about you guys that found speakers and mounted them on loose pieces of wood, garbage cans, etc. You are my brothers!

Impressive lists! Some guys try everything, and some gravitate to one brand (like cars). Lots of JBL guys out there.

My list
Model
--date obtained - used through year
--price
--equipment that drives the speaker
--disposition

Mom's suitcase record player with internal solid state amp and hinged detachable speakers
--~1960s vintage; I began using it 1978
--borrowed from mom
--internal amplifier
--lost along the way

RCA 12" loose loudspeaker from a TV/console
--~ 1980 - 1988
--free (taken from an abandoned house)
--drove with various radios; hardwired with various transistor radio and other loose speakers
--no cabinets, so cone eventually tore; lost along the way

Magnavox loudspeaker panel from a console, containing 3 or 4 drivers and a crossover
--~1981
--taken for free, from parents' dismantled console
--drove with various radios
--lost along the way

Craig speakers with a Craig stereo
--1980s
--Dad gave me permission to use; moreso after it failed and I was able to repair it
--driven by companion all in one music center
--in Dad's garage

Lafayette 1950s mid-range loose drivers
--~1985
--free, found in my parents' attic, from dad's 1950s-era project
--drove with dismantled radios or other things
--in storage, somewhere

Spark-O-Matic auto speakers (6" round pair and 6x9 pair)
--~1982 - 1988
--free (found in trash)
--drove with various car radios (also found in trash)
--later drove with home built tube amp (6F6 single ended, 6V6 push-pull,or 6L6 push-pull)
--later drove with SONY XR7180 car tape deck
--lost along the way

University homemade "corner" speaker (15" woofer, various sized horns)
--~1980
--inherited
--drove with EICO HF-32 (1950s mono system was a Granco T-160U tuner, Presto Pirouette turntable with Rek-O-Kut arm, EICO HF-32, and this speaker; still have all)
--dismantled and in storage

Infinity SM102
--September 1991 - present
--$139 each - first speakers I bought new, as a college student
--drove with Fisher 400 receiver, Fisher 440T receiver, SONY XR7180 car tape deck, ARC D-110B, Dynaco Mark IIIs, Dynaco Stereo-120, Fisher 510-A + 30-A amps, Fisher 800B receiver
--the ARC D-110B had a failure and damaged a voice coil
--awaiting foam replacement

The Fisher XP3
--~1993
--~$1
--driven by Fisher 400 receiver
--misssing in action; not in a hurry to find these

The Fisher Series 510 Consolette and Stereo Companion 30
--~1994
--~$20
--Driven with internal Fisher 510-A + 30-A amps; bought these for the amps
--in the attic

AR AR-2Ax
--~1990s
--$25 pair
--drove with Fisher 400 receiver, Marantz 2225 receiver, Fisher 510-A + 30-A amps, Dynaco Mark IIIs, Dynaco Stereo-120
in the attic

Magnepan 2.6R
--April 2000 - present
--$616
--drove with ARC D-110B for a short time
--later driven with Dynaco Mark IIIs, Dynaco Stereo-70, Dynaco Stereo-120, Electronic Workshop A-20s - not great matches
--now driven by Dickie-Macovski OTL amp - a great match
--current "main" speakers
--briefly was paired with JBL subwoofer

JBL C38 "Baron"
--~2000
--~$10 (was a pair, but guy before me grabbed only one and left this one)
--drove with various tube amps; no high frequency response; needs work
--in the attic

Insignia NS-B2111
--June 2006 - present
--$50 pair
--drove with Electronic Workshop A-20s
--current "secondary" speakers

The Fisher XP7
--2010 - present
--free
--garage speakers, once and future to be paired with Fisher 440T receiver; currently driving with Alrad integrated amp
--in garage; cabinets are destroyed, but speakers still sound good

AR AR-4x
--Summer 2017
--$10 pair
--driven briefly by Dynaco Stereo-120
--awating evaluation

As a young boy, there was much creativity and variety (and no money to buy anything, hence the home invasions and dumpster diving)

Yeah, I guess I'm a jbl guy. The list starts at the end of '15 when I started in the hobby. I swear they find me.

Jbl 4312
jbl L100A
Jbl 4312 (2nd pair)
Jbl 4312B
Jbl L40
Jbl 4301B
Jbl 4301B (2nd pair)
Jbl 4311B
Jbl 4310
jbl L100 original
Altec Valencia 846B

I still have a pair of 4310's and the Val's

Altec Lansing 315- bought new in '92 by me(still own them)
Sonab OA-12-bought by my dad in 77(?) Given to me, refurbed, given back so I could bring Allison Twos home
Allison Two-bought by my dad in 79, refoamed, crossovers and drivers checked. Current daily drivers
B&W CDM1-bought to take the place of the Sonabs this year
That's it.(for now)

Last edited:
As a kid I was proud to be given a pair of lafayette criterion speakers they were soon replaced when I discovered Marantz. I scored a 2252 and a pair of Marantz HD66 speakers! I had a system that could handle the Stooges at foundation shaking levels. Or so I thought.
Marriage, children, opening a business, life in general caught up to me.
I still loved music but my shop was equipped with some sort of late 90’s Yamaha reciever hooked to some old Bose 301s. I thought it sounded great.
A few years ago I was digging through the basement of my business and I found my old TT and a 2270 id up graded too. I thought I’d pitched the stuff. I’d been told it’s was worthless. The HD66 were gone. I remember the ex making me put them to the curb.
Anyhow after pulling out the 2270 and finding they didn’t jive with the 301’s I made up my mind to find the ideal set of speakers. Thus the addiction began. I won’t list everything due to memory and just buying speakers that we’re learning mistakes. But there has been a progression.

Advent: Babies and sub, Prodigy towers and Produgy lls
EV 16Bs
Rectilinear XI
Rectilinear III lowboys
Optimus Mach IIs (these really do shake the foundation)
A pair of Marantz HD 66s to make up for the pair I pitched
A ‘mismatched pair of Wharfedale sp12/cs/al and sp12/fs/al housed in 5cu cabs
B&W DM 2000
Matched pair, inside and out, Electro Voice, Aristocrats
Wharfedale W70s

KLH Model 17 (powered by Pioneer SX-727) (early 70's)
Dynaco A-25 (powered by same) (mid 70's)
Large Original Advents (powered by same) (late 70's into 80's)
Large Original Advents (powered by Advent 300) (late 80's into 90's)
Boston Acoustics VR-?? (powered by a Sony whatever) (late 90's to 2005 or so)
Same Large Original Advents (powered by Marantz 2270) (current)
Double Large Original Advents (powered by Marantz 2270) (current)
Dynaco A-25 (powered by Yamaha CR-600) (current)

Home-built from a Sears console driver pull
A pair of industrial PA-type horns - sounded absolutely horrible (not Pro-Sound, factory sound)
Various other home-built models using whatever came my way
ADC, which were Advent-inspired and clone-ish
Pioneer HPM-60
Pioneer bookshelf CS-something, which I rather liked in a set-up on my job
OLA
Quad ESL-57 (on loan a few months)
this is boring and I lack the will to proceed - plus, I'll never remember them all

In addition to those, I'll list the stand-outs I can recall:

Had some RS Optimus - no, Nova - that I liked quite well at the time. Model number? Psshaw.
Heresy II.
Phase Tech PC-60? with PC-90 sub? Does that sound right? Good press from Stereophile IIRC. Loved 'em.
ADS L-200m, metal cabinets with ADS metal stands. Looked great, sounded great, without a sub and about the same size as Minimus 7 (of which I have owned several pair) but leagues ahead in output and SQ. People were blown away by them, but I foolishly traded them for a pair of KG-4. One non-enthusiast friend asked me of the ADS, "Damn, is this some kind of new technology?"
KG2, KG3, Heresy I and II, Forte I, Klipschorn, and some lesser models more recent
ADS L-780 II
Paradigm Atom, Titan, Phantom, 3semini, 3se, Mini Monitor, 5se, 7se II, Mini Mk II
Time Frame 400 stands out because I owned them but never heard them (Nor any other DCM), last seen headed to Dallas
Current: Monitor Audio Silver 6, Klipsch Forte, ELAC B6. Love all three.
I have forgotten more than I can, or even care to, recall.
And I'm just a piker... some of these guys are seriously neurotic. I'm only moderately so. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Last edited:
Well, since I only started my audio listening journey in September 2017, I've got a whole lotta "not much":

BIC America V52 -------> Realistic Nova 15 --------> Advent Legacy II -------> JBL 18ti

Wharfedale CRS 3 (bought new)
ADC 303AX (free)
Optimus 5B
EPI M180 (free)
Linn Sara 9 (loaned from a friend)
Optimus T100
Tannoy 609 Dual Concentric
Alternate Audio PS40 Planar/Ribbon Panels

Back
Top Bottom