Circuit board cleaner?

For me it's always cringe-worthy when I read about introducing anything with water in it to electronics. I see plenty of posts advocating for soapy baths and various cleaners. Maybe it's just me, but it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Is it harmful? I'm not sure...

There are non-water based ways to clean these electronic items too. How about "Blue Shower" which was made for just this purpose?

For me it's always cringe-worthy when I read about introducing anything with water in it to electronics. I see plenty of posts advocating for soapy baths and various cleaners. Maybe it's just me, but it is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Is it harmful? I'm not sure...

There are non-water based ways to clean these electronic items too. How about "Blue Shower" which was made for just this purpose?

I knew a guy that used a power washer to clean old printers. left them in the sun for the afternoon and fired them up.

I worked in electronics manufacturing where most of the printed circuit boards were wave soldered and then defluxed with freon. After Freon was outlawed they went to water soluble flux and just washed them in water. Once properly dried there is no problem because most of the components are sealed. There are a few components, like meter movements and large transformers that should not be submerged, but won't be harmed by a bit of splash.

Last edited:
I know people that have pulled boards and run them through their dishwasher. I don't know as how I would ever do something that extreme, but (after drying) they put them back together and they worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom