Cizek Model 2

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by rmeade, Jan 12, 2019.

1. rmeade

rmeade Super Member

Local garage sale find, today!

These speakers were made by a notable figure, Roy Cizek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cizek ). Roy worked for and knew the giants of the audio industry. He also started his own firm(s) that produced highly regarded products.

So, I need to re-foam (on order from mid-west speaker) this pair and will let you know my impression of their sound in a few weeks.

20190112_131140.jpg 20190112_131147.jpg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

They were/are very good sounding loudspeakers, from my perspective.
    Choice of the Peerless silk dome tweeter plays a role in that, I believe.
    Yours are in much nicer shape than the pair of Cizeks I have in the basement awaiting* rehabilitation.

[​IMG]Cizek brochure p1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Cizek brochure p2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Donkey Karma likes this.
  3. rmeade

rmeade Super Member

I wonder how the capacitors in my speakers are holding up.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

Bought a pair new, back then. Definitely worth the effort. The tweeter level pots got noisy very quickly. I finally bypassed them.

5. mhardy6647

Depends on what's in there. If they're NP electrolytics, they should be replaced (even if like-for-like); if they're film capacitors, they're probably OK.
    I do not know what's in them -- I've never looked at mine (which I believe are the original Cizeks, not the Twos -- but I cannot swear to that without diggin' 'em out of the rubble downstairs).

The "danger" of replacing capacitors willy-nilly in crossovers is that the sound of a loudspeaker may be very much altered from the original "voice" -- not necessarily improved :)

6. rmeade

rmeade Super Member

Yes, this is my concern. I think that the magic in the Cizek is all about the crossover. So, developing a home brew version would be self-defeating.

I think what I will do is remove the crossover, and then remove the capacitors (at least one end) and measure them. I will take from there.

7. mhardy6647

Measure them for what? ESR may be more relevant/important as an assessment of "quality" than their capacitance.

8. Donkey Karma

Donkey Karma AK Subscriber Subscriber

9. azrussell132

azrussell132 Active Member

I've owned a pair of model 2's for the past 5 years. Hopefully you love them as much as I do mine.

10. rmeade

rmeade Super Member

20190120_140848.jpg 20190120_140745.jpg

Rainy weekend here, so I am able to put my time to good use and re-foam the Ciezek Model 2 speakers. I am listening to Miles Davis (Kind of Blue Album) now. The speakers sound good. They respond well to power. The woofers have an enormous magnet and deliver adequate bass. The original foam was secured with contact cement, cleaning it from the woofer cones was quite a chore. I decided to not monkey with the crossovers

11. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

Nice Find. Would love to see pics of the crossover. Before and after cap replacement.