Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

I use Everclear (200 proof ethanol) If it is available in your states liquor stores. It evaporates completely leaving no film of any kind. 45 Years ago when I worked in a computer mainframe room we used it to clean computer tape drives.
Not challenging your use of cleaning fluid, but 200 proof alcohol of any kind is a limit to be approached, but not economically achievable. Alcohol is too hydrophilic. Everclear is 190 proof where it may be sold at that concentration.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Folks, I strongly recommend S-721H Cleaning Fluid, by American Recorder. This fluid is effective and safe to use on pinch rollers as well as heads, and guides, etc. It is safe for plastics, and has a high vapor pressure, so it does not take long to dry. It will not leech out the plasticizers from the rubber, and it will leave no nasty deposits anywhere. I have tried alot of fluids, and this one is the best I have found, to date.

Enjoy,
Rich P

+1 on the S-721H. We have 12 Studer A807 player in use for archiving. We don't use alcohol because we're concerned the operators will use it on the heads which can cause the adhesive to deteriorate. The stuff is expensive @ $60/qt, but it's all we use.

Something I learned from an HP LaserJet tech is to use unscented dye free Dawn detergent to re-vitalize rubber. Apply liberally, let it soak in for a while and wipe of. It cleans and softens rubber. He used it on Laserjets for business and commercial use.

An HP printer tech clued me in to what he uses to clean and re-vitalize the rubber feed rollers on commercial printers. It's fragrance and dye free Dawn detergent. Apply liberally and let sit for a few minutes before wiping off. I've tried it and it works quite well.

I used to use alcohol, but I do worry about that damaging the rubber, cause I know it can. Once I managed to screw up a Technics RS-B100 pinch roller w/ alcohol. It caused slipping. Then I tried some MG rubber renewer and that seemed to make things worse. Eventually used a Caig RBR, another rubber renewer, and with just two light applications - voila, worked like a charm. That's the only one I use now if I have a problem rubber part. Before that I just use some luke-warm water and a q-tip to remove dirt - seems harmless enough.

This has been covered pretty well so I will just add that using Naptha( old school wick lighter fluid) will bring old harden glazed, dirty rubber, back to life, removing the layer of dirt and hardened rubber. extending the time you have in between replacement .
A word of caution; You will remove rubber using this chemical so be aware that the outside dia of the roller pinch roller will be decreased over time.

Last edited:
I still have about 1/3 of a bottle of TEAC rubber cleaner/conditioner that I purchased in 1974. I use it sparingly when alcohol doesn't do it, knowing the TEAC stuff always will. It's main problem is its smell, which is AWFUL and should only be used with adequate ventilation. My bottle is so old that the original deep pink of the fluid is now almost brown (too much sun?)

I also use the Teac cleaner/conditioner that came in the Teac kit. I bought the kit at least 25 years ago. Works well and it states that it doesn't contain alcohol. I don't notice a bad smell at all with it but another bottle I had did and I tossed it out 5 or so years back.

Rubber cleaner.jpg

Without reading through all of this, do any of you use pure denatured alcohol on the heads and metal parts? I do. I then wash the rollers with Dawn dish soap to clean the rollers. That's all. works well for me.

I just tried some Caig RBR on my Marantz 5025B and it seems to work fine. The rubber looks like new.

Carter

I also use the Teac cleaner/conditioner that came in the Teac kit. I bought the kit at least 25 years ago. Works well and it states that it doesn't contain alcohol. I don't notice a bad smell at all with it but another bottle I had did and I tossed it out 5 or so years back.

View attachment 1186883

The 1970s bottle even states on the rear label "Avoid fumes. Use only in a well ventilated area." As for the later formula, I don't know. The early stuff was a translucent pink but I've also seen it a translucent brown - the color of beef broth. I do recall that some time after I bought my bottle (1974, in the Navy Exchange at Subic Bay) that TEAC issued a warning and changed the formula. The pink stuff was harsh and could make one sick if not well ventilated. I always use it with windows opened and a fan blowing. The odor is like a combo of turpentine and gasoline.

Despite having bought this at the Exchange in the Philippines, the label says USA. It's so old the pink color is long gone.
IMG_2369.JPG

Last edited:
Well as many opinions as 7 pages. Well I was working at Teac and we used Denatured alcohol as obtained at a hardware store all the time and it cuts through oxide much better than Iso does. The rubber cleaner we used extensively was found out to have color, mineral spirits in small quantities and then Naphtha at 97%. So I went out and got Naphtha at the Ace
hardware and have been using it for years now. I work on decks 12-14 hours a day 7 day a week at my own business so I have good experience using these chemicals.
The alcohol is used for cleaning while the Naphtha is used for reconditioning to take shine off and old rubber. The Naphtha is suppose to remove rubber so don't clean until the black is gone or you will be at the bearing. In bad rollers with nicks in it or cracks or hardness there is no other choice than to send the roller to Terry. He is no secret and does a fine job every time plus they are guaranteed for 10 years. I have had at least 100 rollers done by his service in Sparta MI.

The Rubber cleaner was suppose to be blue and the pink was the head cleaner. The Rubber cleaner was made by a company called Rawn in Spooner, Wisconsin. The blue color is photoreactive and if left in the sun will turn a dark green. Color does not affect it's function.

Last edited:
I am using good old professional studio grade Audio 456. Stuff does wonders for my cassette deck rubber parts and I am sure it will do as well for the RTR I just bought today. 2 oz bottle lasts for ever guys. Made for pinch roller cleaning and all kinds of stuff like belts, turntable parts and printer stuff. Anything rubber. I have heard of guys using it on car parts and belts too. I got it on Epray.

I looked up the SDS for RBR.. it's mostly mineral oil, a dash of Limone ( extract of citrus skin, basically a cleaner/degreaser) and fatty esters which helps blend and hold everything in suspension. The fat is alike 3-5% and Limone is 1-5%.. so giving the rubber a scrub with citrus cleaner then a soak with mineral oil does the same thing.

MG Chemicals 408B-1L sounds alot like the old TEAC stuff.. noxious. It works by swelling the rubber then letting it shrink back down as the solvent dries out. Xylene is the swelling agent and acetone is a dilution agent for CARB requirements. Personally speaking, I'm more inclined to use the mineral oil and citrus cleaner first as it's not as drastic :)

1330-20-7 xylene (mixture) 35–45% 67-64-1 acetone 25% 100-41-4 ethylbenzene 10–15% 119-36-8 methyl salicylate 15%

The professional head cleaners tend to be mostly ( 95% plus) this..
https://www.amazon.com/CCS-N-hexane-High-Purity-120ml/dp/B075LNJP94/

And, most importantly: http://www.dhc-solvent.de/files/dhc/download/DHC_SDS_001_en.pdf. To be used only under a fume hood, not really the kind of chemicals you want to have at home. Note that a rubber rejuvenator is not intended for cleaning rubber, just to restore its surface condition when it gets old. Daily cleaning calls for cleaning stuff, not a rejuvenator - personally I have always had good experience with IPA, so it's what I use.

The Teac Rubber cleaner which we used a lot at Teac was a large degree of Naphtha and some mineral spirits not mineral oil. I have been for years now using Naphtha as obtained from the hardware store. It is only that other newer rubber treatment that uses Hexane and Acetone. I do not like either of these chemicals so from the previous line you know what I use still to this day. Cleaning of rollers- some not cleaned in years are done with Denatured alcohol as I did at Teac and after. The Naphtha is used for reconditioning and restoration
of rubber rollers. If a Rubber roller get that bad that we can not service it any longer then I send them to Terry in Sparta MI to get new rubber put on.
The Teac RC-1 and 2 was produced by Rawn in Wisconsin it turns out. It was colored Blue but due to photoreaction it can turn green due to sun light. It works either way as the color
is just there to differentiate it from the Pink that was head cleaner. This Head cleaner was back then Dry cleaners solution. I seem to recall it was tri chlorotrifloroethane. It evaporated very fast and at Teac waste was a thing that was always under eye and that is why they changed to denatured by suggestion from me.

Cleaning the pinch roller is one thing, and The information is great....
Does anyone know anywhere I can buy a new Pinch Roller for a
TEAC A-3300SR ??? I think mine is too worn

Joe M.

Back
Top Bottom