CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 231 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 927 80.1%

• Total voters
All good, man. May turn up somewhere else as well.

Wayner's idea is simply one I hadn't considered, and I'm eager to try it.

Jnevill, tell me the story on that avatar!

And SpinClean is a fantastic way to clean records on the semi cheap and easy.

I'm so baffled.

I have a nice copy of Van Cliburn playing his favorite encores on RED LABEL vinyl, whatever that means. It looks pristine, nary a single mark or scratch, but it has rice crispies.

I first wet it, soft cleaned with paint pad and dawn, then rinsed.
Next was application of enzymes for 10 minutes.
Rinse.
Then vacuum with homemade RCM
Rinsed again, then a SpinClean, just for the halibut.
Finally, wiped and dry.

Still noisy. Going to get more Titebond 2 and see what the glue can do.

I'm so baffled.

I have a nice copy of Van Cliburn playing his favorite encores on RED LABEL vinyl, whatever that means. It looks pristine, nary a single mark or scratch, but it has rice crispies.

I first wet it, soft cleaned with paint pad and dawn, then rinsed.
Next was application of enzymes for 10 minutes.
Rinse.
Then vacuum with homemade RCM
Rinsed again, then a SpinClean, just for the halibut.
Finally, wiped and dry.

Still noisy. Going to get more Titebond 2 and see what the glue can do.

It's the Vinyl not dirt that's crackly like that.

It's the Vinyl not dirt that's crackly like that.

Since it looks so amazingly pristine, I have to agree. Just a bad pressing, or some other flaw in manufacturing.

This is what keeps me up nights - records that can be fixed, and those that cannot.

In this same batch of vinyl I picked up a month ago, was a very ordinary looking pressing of something by Jefferson Airplane. A simple toss thru the spinclean, and it's flawless.

The quest continues.

Are there any more vinyl cleaning threads I need to link?? All help appreciated.

Since it looks so amazingly pristine, I have to agree. Just a bad pressing, or some other flaw in manufacturing.

This is what keeps me up nights - records that can be fixed, and those that cannot.

In this same batch of vinyl I picked up a month ago, was a very ordinary looking pressing of something by Jefferson Airplane. A simple toss thru the spinclean, and it's flawless.

The quest continues.

Are there any more vinyl cleaning threads I need to link?? All help appreciated.
I have a mint copy of The Four Keys, Night On The Town, 1958 it's very rare and cost a lot but they used bad vinyl in the records.

As far as record cleaning threads the best one and prosses IMO is right here.

Ultrasonic Cleaners - They do Work...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=595742

You would be hard pressed to clean better and have the efficiency of going Ultrasonic Record Cleaning. However I would say it's best for people that have or planing to have a larger colection of 500+ records. The other thing that's good is you can buy or make one.

IMG_1936_zps8eccc211.jpg

IMG_1939_zps54f0b7ea.jpg

IMG_1941_zpsebaba344.jpg

IMG_1942_zpsae270e45.jpg

IMG_1943_zpsfe1c88e1.jpg

When I began collecting records in the mid 80's, I bought a Discwasher brush and used that fairly often. I was never hugely pleased with the results, but I accepted the results. I quickly realized that using the D4 brush with fluid only created problems - making what amounted to gunk which dried in the grooves! I simply used it dry for many years.

Fast forward 20 years: I finally got a nice turntable/cartridge. I decided it was time to figure out a better way to clean my records since my stylus was no longer a cheaper model. I read a ton of websites, asked questions of people I knew that had record players, and based on what I had on hand I began to sink wash my records with a paint pad.

Shortly thereafter I turned an old beat up table into my cleaning station. I mixed my own cleaning fluid, bought a nifty little shop-vac, customized the crevice tool, and went to town. The results were very noticeable!

Not long after that, I bought an elderly gentleman's records collection. He also threw his old turntable (Beogram 4002) and his RCM (VPI HW 16) into the deal. To say I was ecstatic was an understatement! I had to modify the VPI to get it to work (as it was a wee bit too used), but since that day I have never looked back.

I have been using my tried and true self-made fluid still, but have finally began tinkering with pre-mixed name brand fluids. I've not used them yet (still waiting to use up my latest batch of self-made stuff) but I look forward to experimenting.

To sum up my experience over the years: Dry brush cleaning will only get the dust/debris off the surface, not the junk in the grooves. A vacuum system, whether it be name brand or DIY will get the record much cleaner, provided it is used in conjunction with a good cleaning process.

As a side note, I do not use the glue method, nor will I. I do not buy used records from flea markets or thrift stores, and am very picky when it comes to buying them in a shop or online. Therefore, I have never needed to use glue. I am not against its use, but I have no need of it.

One more thing in this long-winded post: I have not tried ultrasonic cleaning......yet. But I am very open-minded about it and would love to try it someday!

I took a tip from a former radio DJ. I use lukewarm water with dishwashing soap. Make sure all the soap is washed out thoroughly, and dry with a lint free cloth. Works like a champ. For newer records that are just dusty, I use a Audio Technica record brush

As a side note, I do not use the glue method, nor will I. I do not buy used records from flea markets or thrift stores, and am very picky when it comes to buying them in a shop or online. Therefore, I have never needed to use glue. I am not against its use, but I have no need of it.

Please explain to me how buying in a shop or online how you can tell if a record has that "rice crispies" thing going on?? I'm befuddled at the results I've had with trying to gauge a record by how it looks. Seems it is all over the place. Some great looking records sound horrible, some beat up looking just need a SpinClean. Baffling.

Thanks for your input. As for trying the glue method, you ought to try it... at least once. There's a reason the thread on it is well over 140 pages long.
For some of those troublesome records, accept no substitute.

I took a tip from a former radio DJ. I use lukewarm water with dishwashing soap. Make sure all the soap is washed out thoroughly, and dry with a lint free cloth. Works like a champ. For newer records that are just dusty, I use a Audio Technica record brush

See, scrubbing with Dawn and warm water has never done a thing for me. maybe water hardness/ minerals?

427, didn't you buy that nice Ultrasonic cleaner?? I'm so interested in that. I'm looking into all avenues.

Please explain to me how buying in a shop or online how you can tell if a record has that "rice crispies" thing going on?? I'm befuddled at the results I've had with trying to gauge a record by how it looks. Seems it is all over the place. Some great looking records sound horrible, some beat up looking just need a SpinClean. Baffling.

Thanks for your input. As for trying the glue method, you ought to try it... at least once. There's a reason the thread on it is well over 140 pages long.
For some of those troublesome records, accept no substitute.

See, scrubbing with Dawn and warm water has never done a thing for me. maybe water hardness/ minerals?

427, didn't you buy that nice Ultrasonic cleaner?? I'm so interested in that. I'm looking into all avenues.

Yes I did and those photos are mine.

If you have a lot of records or come home every weekend with a large pile there is no beating it. I have got my entirer library cleaned almost, maybe another 1000 titles to go.

I can not exspess enough how clean and every bit of static is removed using this cleaning method.

Onwardjames, you can have your local drug store order it. I have my local Rx get it for me.

On the vinyl "pop-corn" issue, that is generally caused from overheated vinyl at pressing time, in which the vinyl actually "boils" and creates bubbles in the vinyl itself. It is not repairable. I have a copy of Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, that is of this nature. It's just a bad pressing.

A jeweler's loop is a handy tool to have, as it allows one to view down to the groove level, to determine what the "enemy" is that you are fighting. Sometimes you can get the "pop-corn" effect if you have mold in the grooves, but that sound is usually inconsistent in nature.

Lots of pop noise at the beginning of the record is damage caused by needle drop. My rule at home is that I never drop the needle in the middle of the LP, but rather only at the beginning. But then, I have OCD.........:)

I thought this was an interesting unit for those who wish to go ultra sonic (no affiliation of course, just cool) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/161402849405?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That looks pretty damn well made.

IMO though the records need more space between them but I see why they did it that way. They needed room to get the stack out of the tank because you can't lift it straight out.

One thing to think about is the safty of your records in step needed to clean them. The less you touch them and handle the less damage can acure with a slip of a move. I droped a puck on one record once, one time moving a loaded dry rack three records hit the floor putting a bad sratch on one.

Another thing to think about is the tanks don't last forever. I had a tank die after 1600 records. the time on the tank was about 36 hours of run time cleaning 8 records at a time. In other words the more records you can get in on a single cycle the more you'll clean with that tank.

When you look at cost oppossed to the volume of records you can clean and your time involved there is no beating a stack of records in an ultrasonic machine.

I was able to clean 1600 records in a month with a little time after work, and good time spent on the weekends. My unit was bought slitely used at $1100 and you can make your own for less. The tank died at this point but the cleaning cost was still less than a dollar a title. I bought another tank for $300 and with this tank have cleaned another 1000 titles so far. Do the math and a Ultrasonic will out do any other record cleaning method. I had my Oki Noki RCM for over a year and maybe cleaned 30 records with it. There is no way in hell I would have been able to do the same volume of titles. I would have went steir crazy listening to the vac let alone the constant hands on though all steps.

Well I have a VPI 16 and like it. I use it on all my records before I play them. With that being said I have a new approach to my vinyl collection. I have started to purchase new albums. I can find them for 15-20 bucks. I like to have them new so they are not trashed. I found no matter how much I cleaned them they still do not sound as good as the new ones and I can keep them that way. I also like the fact most of the stuff is being reissued. I know it is a little more cost but why would I want to spend money on speakers, amps, pres, needles, cartridges, cables, and all and not have a good source to start with. To me just makes sense to buy nice and new and keep it that way.

Well I have a VPI 16 and like it. I use it on all my records before I play them. With that being said I have a new approach to my vinyl collection. I have started to purchase new albums. I can find them for 15-20 bucks. I like to have them new so they are not trashed. I found no matter how much I cleaned them they still do not sound as good as the new ones and I can keep them that way. I also like the fact most of the stuff is being reissued. I know it is a little more cost but why would I want to spend money on speakers, amps, pres, needles, cartridges, cables, and all and not have a good source to start with. To me just makes sense to buy nice and new and keep it that way.

I agree also, and it seems a challenge in new record bashing threads to see why the op has a problem.

I think I must have around 800+ new Audiophile records 90% of them are beautiful in playing. But I do also seek out E+ standard copies as not everything is remastered/reissued.

If you have a lot of records or come home every weekend with a large pile there is no beating it. I have got my entirer library cleaned almost, maybe another 1000 titles to go.

I can not exspess enough how clean and every bit of static is removed using this cleaning method.

Sounds fantastic, guess I need to start saving.

Onwardjames, you can have your local drug store order it. I have my local Rx get it for me.

On the vinyl "pop-corn" issue, that is generally caused from overheated vinyl at pressing time, in which the vinyl actually "boils" and creates bubbles in the vinyl itself. It is not repairable. I have a copy of Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, that is of this nature. It's just a bad pressing.

A jeweler's loop is a handy tool to have, as it allows one to view down to the groove level, to determine what the "enemy" is that you are fighting. Sometimes you can get the "pop-corn" effect if you have mold in the grooves, but that sound is usually inconsistent in nature.

More good info I didn't have.

This is a solid argument, and I definitely see your point.

However, not everything is available new, MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (please, nobody be offended by this statement) is that new vinyl is a total crap shoot. I've been very unlucky with new vinyl. Even the much vaunted Wilco pressings and the mono Beatles have slight warps and deformations, tho they both sound very good.

If I could find a MOFI reissue of, say, Roy Buchanon's Second Album, well....then I'd be all over it.

Plus, finding old vinyl at the thrift is cheap, often things are long out of print, and I've found some old records that sound better than new stuff (quality of mastering, etc).

This thread is simply the best methods to clean vinyl.
Someone could argue that even NEW vinyl needs the pressing stuff removed. I don't have that knowledge.

Keep the tips, tricks, info, and data coming. Wish we had a Zilch of record cleaning.:scratch2:

RIP, Z, and respect.

Back
Top Bottom