CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 232 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 929 80.0%

• Total voters
@Stephen Dare glad that method is working out well for you, sir!

We're all just looking for clean vinyl. I'm terrible about taking on "charity case" records. Sometimes, it pays off.

I'm using the Record Doctor, along with the RD cleaner (whatever comes in the bottle). Seems to work pretty well. It's ridiculously loud, so I wear ear protection when using. No record cleaning off-hours! I also picked up a NOS Discwasher I use before spinning a clean record.

I can't stand to think about awful I used to treat records when I was a kid, ugh!

I'm using the Record Doctor, along with the RD cleaner (whatever comes in the bottle). Seems to work pretty well. It's ridiculously loud, so I wear ear protection when using. No record cleaning off-hours! I also picked up a NOS Discwasher I use before spinning a clean record.

I can't stand to think about awful I used to treat records when I was a kid, ugh!
I know what you mean, I don't recall how half of it got to be on my records.

Hey folks, wanted to see if anyone had any cons of cleaning records with Tergikleen or other Tergitol solutions.

I own a record shop and we clean upwards of 80 to 100 records a week, and for the last few months we have been using Tergikleen, and in much higher concentration than the instructions on the bottle called for. We got the bottle along with a collection of records and equipment, and it seemed a cheap and effective way to clean records. I think the bottle said to use like 2-10 drops per gallon and we have been using approximately a "healthy squirt" of solution. I brush it on using a paint edger pad and my Pro-Ject VCS RCM. One-step. No rinse.

I was doing some research as I prepared to order some more, and folks were saying that the solution leaves a tricky residue when used at higher concentration.... I have not had any issues and have achieved clean quiet, even silent playback on records that were cleaned this way. Can someone explain what the worry is about or explain what effect this residue has? Should I stop cleaning records this way?

Since we clean so many records I can't really afford to pay 30-40 per 16oz bottle to get MoFi or Nitty Gritty, etc solutions. Hoping to continue using the Tergikleen if I can, but not if it's going to cause issues down the road.

in much higher concentration than the instructions on the bottle called for.... One-step. No rinse.
I'm thinking, why not a lower concentration? And why no rinse?
But your results appear to speak for themselves.

We're all just looking for clean vinyl.

Generally speaking: Does it make sense to clean records which look absolutely perfect? I'm assuming the answer is 'yes' since there's likely to be microscopic material which could affect playback?

No rinse is mostly in the name of saving time. I did dilute my solution quite a bit and still getting good results. Initially we upped the concentration because the liquid didn’t spread very well or penetrate the grooves at the low end of the recommended amount.

@Archguy My answer is this - it's very hard to tell how a record will sound simply by looking at it. At the very least, I pass a new record thru my SpinClean and give it a nice rinse. Can't hurt.

I use straight 91% iso and a velvet brush and compressed air. Seems to work nicely. The iso evaporates quickly so I can play right away. I clean them as I go.

Hi!
A very specific questions to you guys who use homemade vacuum wands:
What material do you use for the pads that slides on the vinyl surface?
I use felt strips with adhesive on one side (ones you cut and put under furniture).
Easy to apply to the wand but wonder if they're soft enough to not scratch the record?
Thanks for any input!

I use straight 91% iso and a velvet brush and compressed air. Seems to work nicely. The iso evaporates quickly so I can play right away. I clean them as I go.

The only thing I'd worry about would be leaching the plasticizers out of the vinyl. I probably misspelled that word, but they're to keep the vinyl from becoming brittle.

Otherwise, if it is working for you, great.

On those adhesive strips, take an old beater record, use what you have, and see if it leaves hairline scratches. I had a homemade wand with some material that actually left tiny scratches, and had to throw that away. AK'er hi*ball made my wand, and it was the prototype he says. Works great to this very day!

There are alot of different ways people clean their vinyl and have great results. For me I make my own solution. Just over 3/4 water from my reverse osmosis machine. Then remender with 97% ISO. It's the highest I can get. Then I add two drops of Dawn and two drops of dishwasher rinse agent to the mix to clean and to help make the solution spread out better. I lay the record on a flat surface to apply and to use the brush that came with my Record Doctor. I also have a goat hair brush for more dirty examples. I also do a rinse with osmosis water. Then take over to the Doctor to vacuum up. This system works for me.

I use a Spin Clean, does a good job, only drama is where to put the records while the dry out.
I use both an old CD holder (meant to go on the wall, I lay it flat) and a $9 dish rack from BB&B. I think I posted pics of my entire set up here somewhere.

FWIW I use zero alcohol or drying agents. I use tergitol, dawn and stuff my dentist got for me called resurge. Of course I use distilled H2O due to our terrible public water here.

I can wash and dry 28 records in a session. Just finished three sessions this week and caught up on lots of washing.............

I’m still cleaning all my records by hand. I started off with the homemade solution of water/alcohol/soap but it just took too much time having to rinse and dry after the cleaning. I’ve found Groove Washer to work really well. The key is the solution, I find that the only addition you need are some good micro fiber rags. Spray on, buff off, that’s it. I’m getting great results and it seems to cut down on static as well.

So, I have read and read and read. Including the Your Doing it Wrong thread....I went out and purchased the correct "stuff" and made a solution. I used to use Dawn or whatever and tapwater and regular alcohol and even some more aggressive cleaners. Some albums sounded worse, some better and it didn't seem to matter how I cleaned them. I fussed about the TT ground, I played with the connections on the cart and the RCA connectors. I also use an old Discwasher I bought back in 81, But I just dampen it a bit to collect dust....I have been picking up albums at a place called Mckays that takes in old books and etc. and has an extensive array of albums, Cd's and cassettes. I stayed with just washing them with the "solution" and spinning them with a painters pad...Hit or miss and you could not judge them by eye. Now, I bought a turntable weight and plopped it on, major difference in sound, including the static pops. Yes, I got a protractor and set up the alignment, even though no one can tell you which one works with an old Pioneer. Another improvement after getting a Jico 750 stylus for my XV-15 was increasing the tracking force....small improvements making it sound much better. This is where the monkey wrench gets thrown in. I have some albums that just crackle, one of them is The Scorpions Love at First Sting. I bought that album in the early 80's and it has been played maybe 5 times and spent many years in a box. I was going to take it to the used place and ditch it but tonight I put it on my pad and wiped it with a paper towel....and BBQ lighter fluid......yikes. Just wiped it around a few time and let it soak in.....Then I sprayed it with the "solution" and wiped it around with a clean paper towel, if there is such a thing. Rinsed it in tapwater and then sprayed it again with the "solution" and brushed it well with my paint pad....then rinsed in warm water from the tap....my tap water sucks...I dryed it well, let it spin for a few minutes on the TT and set the stylus on the beginning of Coming Home, which is very quite at the start. Nothing.....I reached over and turned the volume up......one little click.....then the song started.....This song was unbearable and the album so bad I would not even record it and use the click reducer in my Vinyl Studios program. It is the most dramatic change in any album I have cleaned.
On a side note, I passed on buying the Sota on ebay last night, I had the winning bid typed into esnipe and didnt pull the trigger. I will work with what I have for now, and ponder this cleaning thing like many others are.

Back
Top Bottom