Clocks .... in space!

In moments of boredom.
DIY, of course, Ferrari. :rockon:

2mw8bir.jpg

Ever since I was a kid, clocks have been another one of my interests. We’ve already mentioned the Jefferson Golden Hour, but I’ve got a few more to fit the MCM look in my home.

This is my Roxhall sunburst. I had it shipped in maybe six or seven years ago. It came with its original ‘C’ battery powered Junghans movement, but that didn’t last too long after arriving. I still have it, in case I decide to have it worked on, but it’s been replaced by a modern Seiko ‘AA’ movement, though still using original hands that came with the clock. Tip to tip, just over 24”, a little on the small side I’d say for clocks of this design - a lot of those are 3 feet or more! LOL

A57C411F-C434-4B5B-8147-7C19151A028C.jpeg

Since even before I moved from San Juan I had been looking at all different kinds of sunburst clocks trying to decide which, all of which had the wood ‘rays’ that I wanted, but one look at the numbers on this one sold me - it’s that typeface (font, or whatever it’s called) - I like the futuristic look of them.

I finally broke down and moved this MCM Clone clock out of my office so I could sense time while listening to music.
Not really a valuable clock, but it makes me smile and works in our 1950s house ... (and I put the money saved into Audio!).

IMG_7028.jpg

Dunno - mine keeps time quite well - until the AA battery dies ...

MCM-Clone_zoom-7028.jpg

I used to have a very old E. Howard weight clock from the 1800's...but someone persisted in me selling it to them....so I did...and here is it's replacement!

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• DSCN0290.JPG
    DSCN0290.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_0200.JPG
    100_0200.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 179
I like those 'jetson age' clocks too!
I have one of the Nelson Sunburst ones.
Very pretty. Too bad it doesn't keep time for a dang.
Insanely pricey today.
View attachment 1230185

That’s a great looking clock. If you’re interested in having it keep good time, here’s a link to the Seiko movement I bought on Amazon a few years ago. It’s been keeping good time compared to my phone, and was an easy swap - I’d bet it would be an easy swap for yours too. Just measure the shaft length to make sure the hands don’t stick out too far or the movement too recessed to hang on the wall. The High-Torque is good for heavy hands, which by the pic, yours may have. You could do like I did, and just put the old movement in a labeled bag so it’s known that’s the original for that clock. If you want, I can give you the contact info of my watch/clock repair guy out in CA - he does excellent work. If you shipped him the original movement, I’m sure he could get it clean and keeping perfect time again.

Seiko High Torque Continuous-Sweep Mini Quartz Movement https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LH5Q88/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tgSqBb4BCA60S

Katalyst: It runs slow. Within a few weeks of a new battery, it's slow by nearly 5 minutes.
Granted that may be 'worsened' by using cheap meanards batteries:)
The single AA needs to be replaced every couple of months.
Reydel: Thanks for the link - - I'll look into that!!
I've wondered about replacing what looks like a pretty cheap movement...though I see it's 'made in chermany'.
This clock is not very old - about 10 years - and has always run slow. It was a gift, and the first one had to be returned, as the 'pointy bits' were all loose on arrival, and access inside requires tiny stable fingers.
The price HM gets for these things - given the relatively low mechanical quality (the paint job is superb) is astounding.
It was a gift, and looks amazing, so I don't get too upset about it being an 'approximate time only' clock!
PS. Spiders love to spin webs around the sunburst pointy bits...should come with a feather duster!
HM Clock.JPG
FWIW, I also have the Eames 'Hang It All' coat/hat rack thing - another screechingly overpriced, and frustratingly un-functional design (stuff just slides off those 'balls' - should be called 'Fall It All'!). But I manage to make it work for me:)
It was designed for kids, apparently. Makes sense.
Thanks again!
HangItAll.jpg

Katalyst: It runs slow. Within a few weeks of a new battery, it's slow by nearly 5 minutes.
Granted that may be 'worsened' by using cheap meanards batteries:)
The single AA needs to be replaced every couple of months.
Reydel: Thanks for the link - - I'll look into that!!
I've wondered about replacing what looks like a pretty cheap movement...though I see it's 'made in chermany'.
This clock is not very old - about 10 years - and has always run slow. It was a gift, and the first one had to be returned, as the 'pointy bits' were all loose on arrival, and access inside requires tiny stable fingers.
The price HM gets for these things - given the relatively low mechanical quality (the paint job is superb) is astounding.
It was a gift, and looks amazing, so I don't get too upset about it being an 'approximate time only' clock!
PS. Spiders love to spin webs around the sunburst pointy bits...should come with a feather duster!
View attachment 1230896
FWIW, I also have the Eames 'Hang It All' coat/hat rack thing - another screechingly overpriced, and frustratingly un-functional design (stuff just slides off those 'balls' - should be called 'Fall It All'!). But I manage to make it work for me:)
It was designed for kids, apparently. Makes sense.
Thanks again!
View attachment 1230897
It's a defective quartz module, nothing special. Replace it with the Seiko mentioned earlier.
If it was an early "electronic" balance wheel type, it might be worth saving.

Looks like a bog-standard quartz movement to me. Boring things, for the most part. Did find a neat Ajanta 7606 wall clock (made for the Indian market?) which uses their "Real Silent Sweep" movement. Looks just like an electric clock when running. Need to find a place to hang it, and I'll take some pictures. :)

Here's a wall clock I did take pictures of:
gebattery1.jpg

Looks to be from the late '60s/early '70s. Made by General Electric, according to the logo on the dial:
gebattery2.jpg

However, when you look around back, instead of the expected Ashland-sourced Telechron-type movement, you see this:
gebattery3.jpg

An ATO-style electronic movement! o_O Made in West Germany, along with the rest of the clock, according to the sticker:
gebattery4.jpg

Here is a picture of said movement:
gebattery5.jpg

Tends to run rather fast, for some reason. Need to figure out how the speed adjustment on the back of the movement works:
gebattery6.jpg

Probably no small miracle that it runs at all, methinks. Has a funky little lever to start/stop the movement, which is nice.
gebattery7.jpg

Looks pretty neat overall. Wouldn't be out-of-place in an executive's office, a'la Mad Men. :p
-Adam

Looks like a bog-standard quartz movement to me. Boring things, for the most part. Did find a neat Ajanta 7606 wall clock (made for the Indian market?) which uses their "Real Silent Sweep" movement. Looks just like an electric clock when running. Need to find a place to hang it, and I'll take some pictures. :)

gebattery1.jpg

Looks to be from the late '60s/early '70s. Made by General Electric, according to the logo on the dial:
gebattery2.jpg

However, when you look around back, instead of the expected Ashland-sourced Telechron-type movement, you see this:
gebattery3.jpg

An ATO-style electronic movement! o_O Made in West Germany, along with the rest of the clock, according to the sticker:
gebattery4.jpg

gebattery5.jpg

Tends to run rather fast, for some reason. Need to figure out how the speed adjustment on the back of the movement works:
gebattery6.jpg

Probably no small miracle that it runs at all, methinks. Has a funky little lever to start/stop the movement, which is nice.
gebattery7.jpg

Looks pretty neat overall. Wouldn't be out-of-place in an executive's office, a'la Mad Men. :p
-Adam
I have one of those German "electronic" germanium transistor clock mechs. Interesting things, could probably use a cleaning and lube. Timekeeping is easily adjustable and they last about forever if not abused.

Picked up this cute little SWIZA-SHEFFIELD Bolla Petite alarm clock over the weekend:

Swiza-Sheffield-Bolla-Peitie-1.jpg

Swiza-Sheffield-Bolla-Petite-2.jpg

It has a Swiss made 8-day wind up mechanism and seems to be 100% functional. For it's tiny size (70mm diameter), it has quite a lot of weight to it (9.5 oz).

Last edited:
I've restored 6 or 8 Jefferson Golden Hour clocks. I had quite a fascination for them.

Then, i bought an accurate/calibrated dosimeter. Fascination instantly cured. Hotter than anything i want within my immediate biological world.

This is a MasterCrafters Starlight Clock (No. 146) from 1959. I bought it for myself for my birthday a couple days ago.

“From me, to me” birthday presents are the best. :D

The gift giver always seems to know exactly what to get and how much extra is justifiable to spend on it ;)

I know I’ve received some pretty awesome from me, to me gifts over the years lol

gebattery1.jpg

gebattery2.jpg

gebattery3.jpg

gebattery4.jpg

gebattery5.jpg

gebattery6.jpg

gebattery7.jpg

-Adam
The rate adjustment is the little recessed slotted screw thingus with the index marks. Requires a fresh alkaline 'C' cell to establish a baseline first.

I've restored 6 or 8 Jefferson Golden Hour clocks. I had quite a fascination for them.

Then, i bought an accurate/calibrated dosimeter. Fascination instantly cured. Hotter than anything i want within my immediate biological world.
I'm not super worried about mine. I used an (admittedly uncalibrated) CD-V700 geiger counter to check the markings on my Golden Hour, and though the meter shows a fair amount of deflection with the probe right near the clock with the 'beta shield' open, it shows much less with it closed, and next to nothing when I pull the probe a few feet away. Also, later examples (post-1965 or so) Golden Hours were produced without radium paint, according to this page, so you don't have to worry about all of these clocks.
The rate adjustment is the little recessed slotted screw thingus with the index marks. Requires a fresh alkaline 'C' cell to establish a baseline first.
I knew that was the rate adjustment; I just had no idea exactly how far out from 'normal' it was. I also wasn't sure exactly which direction you turned the screw in order to make it go faster or slower. After some experimentation, I'm pretty sure I've got it down pat at this point, and it's fairly close to accurate.
-Adam

Back
Top Bottom