C'mon Punk, Make my Day!! Great lines

One of my favorite movies is a forgotten Spencer Tracy film called Bad Day at Blackrock. You owe it to yourself to see it. Some great lines:

John J. Macreedy: You're not only wrong. You're wrong at the top of your voice.

Reno Smith: I believe a man is as big as what he's seeking. I believe you're a big man, Mr. Macreedy.
John J. Macreedy: Flattery will get you nowhere.
Reno Smith: Why would a man like you be looking for a lousy Jap farmer?
John J. Macreedy: Ohhh, dadgum, maybe I'm not so big.
Reno Smith: Oh yes you are. I believe a man is as big as what'll make him mad. Nobody around here seems big enough to get you mad.
John J. Macreedy: What makes you mad, Mr. Smith?
Reno Smith: Me? Nothing, nothing...
John J. Macreedy: Ah, you're a pretty big man yourself, then. Yet the... the Japanese make you mad, don't they?
Reno Smith: Well, that's different.

John J. Macreedy: I got a problem of my own.
Doc T.R. Velie Jr.: You sure have, they're going to kill you with no hard feelings.
John J. Macreedy: And you're going to sit there and let 'em do it.
Doc T.R. Velie Jr.: Don't get waspish with me, mister.
John J. Macreedy: Oh, I'm sorry, I, uh...
Doc T.R. Velie Jr.: Yeah, well, I feel for you, but I'm consumed with apathy. Why should I mix in?

John J. Macreedy: You know, I know what your trouble is, son. You'd like me to die quickly, wouldn't you, without wasting too much of your time; or quietly, so I won't embarrass you too much; or even thankfully, so your memory of the occasion won't be too unpleasant.

John J. Macreedy: [to the town mortician] Mind not looking at me like that?
Doc T.R. Velie Jr.: Like what?
John J. Macreedy: Like a potential customer.
Doc T.R. Velie Jr.: Huh. Everyone is.

I can't tell you enough how much you need to see this film. We could all learn a lot from John J. Macreedy. It's been a long time since they made a movie about a man I aspire to be.

Take care,

Ed

One more very good one. There's a movie called Charley Varrick. Amazing movie. Here's a great quote:

Maynard Boyle: You need a rest, Harold. A long trip to someplace quiet. Another name, another country.
Harold Young: I can't start my life over again now.
Maynard Boyle: You don't have much choice, Harold. They're gonna try to make you tell where the money is. You know what kind of people they are. They're gonna strip you naked and go to work on you with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

Tarintino stole the pair of pliers and a blow torch from this movie in Pulp Fiction. Kinda cool to know where he got it. I bet there are a ton more lines in that movie from other films.

Another great line from CV:

Jana: [Molly arrives at the whore house] These are the goodies. He says his name is Sally
Molly: Molly.
Jana: [the prostitues laugh] Sally, Molly, if you got a bell, honey, we'll find a way to ring it.
Molly: I didn't travel six hundred miles for the amusement of morons. Is that clear, ladies?
Taxi driver: Now just a darn minute there.
Molly: You just keep throwing your feathers, mister, before I put you in the hospital.
Taxi driver: Yes, sir.

Molly is played by Joe Don Baker, and man, is he meeeeeean!

Offensive line, but really tells his character:

Molly: [Molly has just punched out an argumentative black man... ] I allow very few men to speak to me in that tone. Few caucasians. And no nigras at all.

Gives you a chill when you hear him deliver it.

Take care,

Ed

Fast Eddie, those are two great movies. I have seen both of them, actually twice, just happen to catch them on TCM while channel surfing one night a while back.

jlindsey86 said:
Fast Eddie, those are two great movies. I have seen both of them, actually twice, just happen to catch them on TCM while channel surfing one night a while back.

Really? I knew Charley Varrick showed up on cable from time to time, but I didn't think anyone ever showed Bad Day at Blackrock. I'm glad to hear that!

Take care,

Ed

Love this exchange in "The Electric Horseman"

Hallie Martin: I'm just trying to be pleasant. You get so worked up about everything.

Sonny Steele: What have I got to be worked up about? I've only got a stole horse; everybody except the Coast Guard is after me; I've got nothin' but miles of open country to cross; and now I'm carrying a crazy woman around wearin' shoes from Bloomingbirds who thinks she's seen a rattlesnake round up.

J.B.--"You are the cat's pajamas, man--the bee's knees."

"oh, it's just what people do sometimes when they get old--they take stuff from around their house that they don't need anymore, wrap it up, and give it to people as Christmas gifts."--National lampoons' Christmas Vacation

"If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head"

Kris Kristofferman? spoken to Jane Fonda's husband (whazzis name, used to be a member of the SDS) during an arguement on the set of "A Star is Born".

"God darnit Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore. "
- Taggat in Blazing Saddles

Jeff Goldblum is always good for a few:

1st Jurassic Park:

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should" <---my favorite!

"God help us, we're in the hands of engineers"

JOHN:"All theme parks have delays, when Disney Land opened in 1952, nothing worked." IAN:" Yeah, John, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists"

"Must Go faster"

From Independence Day:

"Yes, Yes, without the oops!"

From the second Jurassic Park:

"'Oohh, Aahh!' that's how all of this starts, but then later there's the running and screaming"

HAMMOND:"Don't worry, we aren't making the same mistakes again"
IAN:"No, you're making all new ones"

"It's so important to your future that you not finish that sentence"

SARAH:"How will we find the adult?" IAN:"Follow the screams"

From The Big Chill:

"Don't knock rationalization. Where would we be without it? I don't know anyone who'd get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex. Have you ever gone a week without a rationalization?"

"I believe in the old saying that everybody does everything in order to get laid"

"That's what's great about the outdoors, it's one giant toilet"

From Vibes:

"Parts of me are already applauding"

"Oh Great! First I get stabbed and now I'm bleeding!"

"I like to breathe, I'm good at it"

In the spirit of Christmas (Nat Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, that is):

Eddie: You surprised to see us, Clark?
Clark: Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.

[after Clark fails at lighting all the exterior Christmas lights at the "lighting ceremony" in front of the entire family]
Frances: Talk about pissing your money away. I hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.
Audrey Griswold: He worked really hard Grandma.
Art: So do washing machines. <---my favorite

Cousin Eddie: Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!

Ellen: What are you looking at?
Clark: Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn... the clean, cool chill of the holiday air... an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer...
[Eddie, in the driveway, is draining the RV's toilet]
Eddie: Shitter was full!
Clark: Ah, yeah. You checked our shitters, honey?

Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr. (Chevy Chase): Can I refill your eggnog for ya? Get ya something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere, leave ya for dead?
Cousin Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine Clark.

Todd: Where do you think your gonna put a tree that big?
Clark W. Griswold: Bend over and I'll show ya.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark W. Griswold: I wasn't talking to you. [looks at Todd's wife, Margo]

Ruby Sue: Rocky bit my thumb. He's nervous.
Clark: Nervous or excited?
Ruby Sue: Shittin' bricks.
Clark: You shouldn't use that word.
Ruby Sue: [after pause] Sorry. Shittin' rocks

[as an entourage of suits--lead by Clark's boss--passes by single file]
Clark W. Griswold: Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas. Kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.

Clark W. Griswold: Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no! We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here! We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny f*%king Kaye! And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse!

Aunt Bethany: Is your house on fire, Clark?
Clark W. Griswold: No, Aunt Bethany, those are the Christmas lights.

Clark W. Griswold: Burn some dust here, eat my rubber!
Rusty Griswold: Dad, I think what ya mean is, burn rubber, and eat my dust.
Clark W. Griswold: Whatever Russ, whatever.

Mr. Shirley: [Picks up the phone receiver] Get me somebody. Anybody. And get me somebody while I'm waiting.

Clark W. Griswold: Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is!

Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Cousin Eddie: If that cat had nine lives it sure used 'em all.

Eddie: Every time Catherine would turn on the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour.

Eddie: I don't know if I oughta go sailin' down no hill with nothin' between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic.
Clark: Do you really think it matters, Eddie?

Clark: Oh, I was just smelling - smiling. I was just blouse - browsing. I, uh, heh heh. Well, I guess it just wouldn't... Oh hee hee, it wouldn't be the Christmas shopping season if the stores were any less hooter than they - HOTTER than they are. Whew. It is warm in here, isn't it?
Mary: Well you have your coat on.
Clark: Yes, oh do I? Yeah, it's a bit nipply out. I mean nippy out. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! What am I saying, nipple? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ahhhh..there is a nip in the air though.

Clark: Our holidays were always such a mess.
Clark Sr.: Oh, yeah.
Clark: How'd you get through it?
Clark Sr.: I had a lot of help from Jack Daniels.

Ellen: Clark, I think it'd be best if everyone went home... before things get worse.
Clark: WORSE? How could they get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell!

Back
Top Bottom