Cognac Choices

Discussion in 'Cooking & Spirits' started by PJ62, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:17 PM.

1. PJ62

PJ62 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A local liquor emporium, is having a clearance sale, and I stopped by this morning to check out their stock. Decided I want to try a nice cognac for my evening dram. I was given a bottle of Ferrand Ambre many years ago and was very impressed at the time, but haven't followed cognac since then. In my price range(sale price around $50/750ml), they have AE Dor VSOP, Kelt VSOP and Maison Park Borderies. Which of those should I get, and why?

2. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

3. PJ62

I was leaning towards brands that are not commonly carried everywhere, so wanting to avoid the Big 4......they did have a very good price on Remy Martin 1738 Accord Royal though......

4. spartanmanor

spartanmanor AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not Cognac per se but I would highly recommend Clément V.S.O.P. Rhum Agricole. Having visited the distillery in Martinique I am pretty much hooked on their output.

Here is a review from the San Francisco Chronical: "Gentle and oaky, with deep vegetal quality and long, woody finish, this aged sugarcane-based Rhum Agricole bears more resemblance to Cognac or a single-malt than to aged molasses-based rums."

Agricole is not rum made from molasses but rhum straight from the sugar cane.

5. PJ62

Unfortunately this store doesn't carry that particular brand, thus wouldn't be on sale. They don't have a huge cognac selection, I only wrote down the 3 that seemed most interesting to try in the price range I was comfortable with.

6. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like no one has tried any of them. You might have to flip a coin and let us know how it turns out!

Any online reviews?

I've been making some of my own here...probably not as good as that stuff, for sure. :cool:

7. tnmike1

tnmike1 AK Member Subscriber

Check out the website proof66. They review all things alcohol with customer opinions as well. Use it all the time to check out reviews.

PJ62 likes this.
  8. PJ62

Thanks for that website TnMike, that was interesting to peruse. :beerchug:

For those curious souls out there, I bit (drank?) the bullet and bought these 2. Hope to crack one this weekend and see if I chose wisely.....

Cognac.JPG

spartanmanor likes this.