Common Folk Know Not !

Lossless

Something that I see more is that your everyday person knows little of high fidelity music terminology. It seems they know about the latest 4K or 8K and their smart television Facebook apps, but when it comes to music fidelity; You may as well be speaking Dimidium.

The reason I brought this up is while browsing my local thrift stores .50 cent CD collection I sparked up a conversation with a gentleman that was browsing the cassette tapes. I said, " Analog tapes and vinyl seem to be making a comeback." He looked at me with this dazed and confused look on his face saying, "ahhhhhh yeah." I think the word "analog" threw him. I thought to myself maybe I should have left the word "analog" out of my statement.

We audiophiles seem to always use words describing our high fidelity experience that common folk have not a clue what we're talking about. Any stories or recommendations welcome.

Last edited:
Well analog is not limited to audio. However, I am not going to alter my vocabulary, just because someone else has a limited one. When this person said “ahh yeah”, you could have explained to him that tape and vinyl are analog, not digital like the CD format.

Back when I was a kid in the 70's almost everyone could appreciate and usually Desired to have a good sounding Stereo with nice Big speakers.

I can't Relate to Anyone that doesn't desire a nice Stereo system or Surround Sound setup and is satisfied with a sound bar and earbuds... .. .in fact those are the kind of people that annoy me with their Perspective on listening to music or movie's, they could care less about it all. .. .. and they're usually the people who aren't impressed by powerful and full & rich sound .. yet seem to enjoy it at concerts.
At least this is my experience with people

Common Folk

Last edited:
Well analog is not limited to audio. However, I am not going to alter my vocabulary, just because someone else has a limited one. When this person said “ahh yeah”, you could have explained to him that tape and vinyl are analog, not digital like the CD format.

You're forgetting DAT.

The typical common folk outlook on audio? Good audio quality .. must be

True story … in a car dealership the other week and had to wait a good while for a recall part to be installed on my wife's work car.

Brought my Tony Bennet Koss headphone along w/ my Fio X1 to listen to some tunes while I was sitting in their customer waiting area.
When the dealer rep came to get me .. had my eyes closed (listening to music) and took me a few seconds to notice he was standing there.

At the counter he said "Those must be some good headphones .. I said your name a couple of times and you didn't notice I was there" .. "Those must be Bose"
"No, not Bose I said .. an old pair of Koss headphones"

The power of marketing.

Last edited:
are we really supposed to be congratulating ourselves for knowledge of an arcane language pertaining to our somewhat obscure hobby?

Analog is not an arcane term. The dash and info center of my car displays data both in analog and digital format.

You're forgetting DAT.

I have never run across DAT tapes in a thrift store. You must have a better class of thrift stores in your area. :D

But when talking about recorded music, it is.

Not really. While music is stored in a digital format, it is analog when it is reproduced from the speakers. So the term is very relevant. The fact that some people have a limited vocabulary, is no reason for the rest of us to stoop to their level.

Not really. While music is stored in a digital format, it is analog when it is reproduced from the speakers. So the term is very relevant. The fact that some people have a limited vocabulary, is no reason for the rest of us to stoop to their level.
I don't think we need to stoop as such, but effective communication relies on targeting the audience. It's only a small percentage of people -- probably less than 1% -- who understand what "music is stored in a digital format, it is analog when it is reproduced from the speakers" means. A high percentage of AKers (but nowhere near 100%, I'd wager) might understand, but AKers and folks of equivalent technicality are a tiny percentage of the vast unwashed.

For most, "digital" means "something to do with computers" or "a clock with numbers instead of a dial", and "analog" means "obsolete".

Stoop? Seriously? My, aren’t we a snob. Most people listen to music, not audio, don’t care whether you deign to come down to their level, and don’t even know that such creatures as “audiophiles” exist.

Back when I was a kid in the 70's almost everyone could appreciate and usually Desired to have a good sounding Stereo with nice Big speakers.

I can't Relate to Anyone that doesn't desire a nice Stereo system or Surround Sound setup and is satisfied with a sound bar and earbuds... .. .in fact those are the kind of people that annoy me with their Perspective on listening to music or movie's, they could care less about it all. .. .. and they're usually the people who aren't impressed by powerful and full & rich sound .. yet seem to enjoy it at concerts.
At least this is my experience with people

Common Folk

I can’t relate to people who abuse the ellipsis and don’t understand the difference between couldn’t care less and could care less.

I can’t relate to people who abuse the ellipsis and don’t understand the difference between couldn’t care less and could care less.

Or between plural and possessive. And who randomly capitalize words. And when I was a young knucklehead in the ‘70s, I didn’t care about hi fidelity. I wanted big speakers and a gaudy receiver that would play loud and impress girls.

Back
Top Bottom