Common Folk Know Not !

I know but I edited it wanting to limit my Ebonics. "Who DAT" is the correct dialect or whatever ya wanna call it.:beerchug:

I was thinking about this.

Origins of the "Who Dat?" chant
"Who Dat" became part of a chant for fans cheering on their favorite team. It has been debated exactly where it started, but some claim it began with Southern UniversityJaguars fans either in the late 1960s or early 1970s and went "Who dat talkin' 'bout beatin' dem Jags?"[9] Another claim is that it was connected with St. Augustine High School, a historically African-American all-boys Catholic high school in New Orleans, and yet another is that the cheer originated at Patterson High School in Patterson, Louisiana (home of Saints running back Dalton Hilliard).[5] In the late 1970s fans at Alcorn State University[10] and Louisiana State University picked up on the cheer.[11]Fans of professional wrestler Junkyard Dog, a star on the Mid-South Wrestling circuit from 1979 to 1984 who frequently appeared in events at the Louisiana Superdomeand Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans, had a similar chant: "Who dat think they gonna beat that Dog".[12]

Its earliest known documented link specifically to the Saints organization was actually a December 9, 1972 New Orleans Times–Picayune newspaper column reference to a player from an opposing team, Carl Garrett of the New England Patriots.[13]

By 1983 the cheer had become so popular among fans that the New Orleans Saintsorganization officially adopted it during the tenure of coach Bum Phillips, and Aaron Neville (along with local musicians Sal and Steve Monistere and Carlo Nuccio) recorded a version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" that incorporated the chant of "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" (performed by a group of Saints players). The song quickly became a major local hit, due in part to the support of sportscaster Ron Swoboda and the fact that Saints fans had been using the chant for some time.[5]

Meanwhile, in about 1981 Cincinnati Bengals fans and players had started with their similar "Who Dey" cheer ("Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals?").[14] In a 2006 article, Toni Monkovic, a New York Times writer, speculated that the 1981 popularity of the Bengals' "Who Dey" may have led Saints fans to expand their use of "Who Dat", from the "small number, and possibly a very small number" of Saints fans using it in the late 1970s to the much wider use of the chant in 1983. Monkovic noted that the fan bases of the two teams continue to disagree about this, and that ultimately the evidence is unclear.[15] However, this speculation seems unlikely to be accurate as the "Who Dat" chant was so common at nearby LSU months before Cincinnati's 1981 Super Bowl run that a song called "Who Dat" had been written (in March 1981) to the tune of Frankie Smith's "Double Dutch Bus" and played regularly on local radio, in conjunction with the LSU men's basketball team's Final Four run.[16]

"Who Dat?" spin-off chants

After the Saints won the NFC Championship Game on January 24, 2010, against the Minnesota Vikings in the Superdome, fans from all across New Orleans, including fans who were exiting the game, started a Mardi Gras-style "Who Dat" on Bourbon Street with modified lyrics, chanting, "Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat in the Super Bowl!" in reference to the Saints advancing to the Super Bowl for the first time ever in their 43-year history.[17][18] In Super Bowl XLIV, on February 7, 2010, the Saints beat the Indianapolis Colts 31-17. "Drew Dat" has occasionally been used in honor of quarterback Drew Brees.

Who Dat Nation

In recent years the phrase "Who Dat Nation" has become a popular term for the entire community of Saints fans.[19][20][21] According to Bobby Hebert, formerly a Saints quarterback and currently a sports commentator in New Orleans, the term "Who Dat Nation" originated after a highly anticipated 2006 game between the Saints and the favored Dallas Cowboys, which the Saints won; after the game, listeners from a wide geographic range called into Hebert's radio show on WWL (AM), and Hebert commented, "Man, there's a whole Who Dat Nation out there

I was thinking about this.

Origins of the "Who Dat?" chant
"Who Dat" became part of a chant for fans cheering on their favorite team. It has been debated exactly where it started, but some claim it began with Southern UniversityJaguars fans either in the late 1960s or early 1970s and went "Who dat talkin' 'bout beatin' dem Jags?"[9] Another claim is that it was connected with St. Augustine High School, a historically African-American all-boys Catholic high school in New Orleans, and yet another is that the cheer originated at Patterson High School in Patterson, Louisiana (home of Saints running back Dalton Hilliard).[5] In the late 1970s fans at Alcorn State University[10] and Louisiana State University picked up on the cheer.[11]Fans of professional wrestler Junkyard Dog, a star on the Mid-South Wrestling circuit from 1979 to 1984 who frequently appeared in events at the Louisiana Superdomeand Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans, had a similar chant: "Who dat think they gonna beat that Dog".[12]

Its earliest known documented link specifically to the Saints organization was actually a December 9, 1972 New Orleans Times–Picayune newspaper column reference to a player from an opposing team, Carl Garrett of the New England Patriots.[13]

By 1983 the cheer had become so popular among fans that the New Orleans Saintsorganization officially adopted it during the tenure of coach Bum Phillips, and Aaron Neville (along with local musicians Sal and Steve Monistere and Carlo Nuccio) recorded a version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" that incorporated the chant of "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" (performed by a group of Saints players). The song quickly became a major local hit, due in part to the support of sportscaster Ron Swoboda and the fact that Saints fans had been using the chant for some time.[5]

Meanwhile, in about 1981 Cincinnati Bengals fans and players had started with their similar "Who Dey" cheer ("Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals?").[14] In a 2006 article, Toni Monkovic, a New York Times writer, speculated that the 1981 popularity of the Bengals' "Who Dey" may have led Saints fans to expand their use of "Who Dat", from the "small number, and possibly a very small number" of Saints fans using it in the late 1970s to the much wider use of the chant in 1983. Monkovic noted that the fan bases of the two teams continue to disagree about this, and that ultimately the evidence is unclear.[15] However, this speculation seems unlikely to be accurate as the "Who Dat" chant was so common at nearby LSU months before Cincinnati's 1981 Super Bowl run that a song called "Who Dat" had been written (in March 1981) to the tune of Frankie Smith's "Double Dutch Bus" and played regularly on local radio, in conjunction with the LSU men's basketball team's Final Four run.[16]

"Who Dat?" spin-off chants

After the Saints won the NFC Championship Game on January 24, 2010, against the Minnesota Vikings in the Superdome, fans from all across New Orleans, including fans who were exiting the game, started a Mardi Gras-style "Who Dat" on Bourbon Street with modified lyrics, chanting, "Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat in the Super Bowl!" in reference to the Saints advancing to the Super Bowl for the first time ever in their 43-year history.[17][18] In Super Bowl XLIV, on February 7, 2010, the Saints beat the Indianapolis Colts 31-17. "Drew Dat" has occasionally been used in honor of quarterback Drew Brees.

Who Dat Nation

In recent years the phrase "Who Dat Nation" has become a popular term for the entire community of Saints fans.[19][20][21] According to Bobby Hebert, formerly a Saints quarterback and currently a sports commentator in New Orleans, the term "Who Dat Nation" originated after a highly anticipated 2006 game between the Saints and the favored Dallas Cowboys, which the Saints won; after the game, listeners from a wide geographic range called into Hebert's radio show on WWL (AM), and Hebert commented, "Man, there's a whole Who Dat Nation out there
Not Ebonics after all; It's collegiate terminology;).

Dave: Hmmm, do you really think your guesstimation is correct? I'd excpect that percentage to be quite a bit higher...

Harvestor: What's the problem? I mean, not only there are pretty good soundbars and earbuds, but I'd also find it odd, that a connoisseur in a certain area should feel annoyed by non-conoisseurs in that area, provided they don't interfere with his personal enjoyment. To me it would rather seem pretty obvious, that different people have different preferences and priorities.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

What is the intended purpose of the...ellipse ? I think of it as a mental pause, or vocal stutter.

EVER READ A COMIC BOOK ? THE DIALOGUE BOXES CONTAIN ALL CAPS. IT'S OKAY IN THAT CONTEXT.

Have to give you props for being a psychic and knowing exactly what the guy knows and what he was thinking but just saying “ahhh yeah” :D

Maybe he just didn’t want to talk to a stranger? :dunno:

Have to give you props for being a psychic and knowing exactly what the guy knows and what he was thinking but just saying “ahhh yeah” :D

Maybe he just didn’t want to talk to a stranger? :dunno:
Even though he didn't express his thoughts verbally, he threw off clues to what he was thinking and feeling. Non-verbal messages communicated through body movements, facial expressions, vocal tone and volume, and other clues are collectively known as body language.

We did have a good conversation and he turned me on to some music artist that I was unfamiliar with.

Last edited:
Dave: Hmmm, do you really think your guesstimation is correct? I'd excpect that percentage to be quite a bit higher...

Harvestor: What's the problem? I mean, not only there are pretty good soundbars and earbuds, but I'd also find it odd, that a connoisseur in a certain area should feel annoyed by non-conoisseurs in that area, provided they don't interfere with his personal enjoyment. To me it would rather seem pretty obvious, that different people have different preferences and priorities.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
No problem at all...
Lol...
I'm probably just becoming one of those old curmudgeon anachronistic types. . Lol

a·nach·ro·nis·tic
/əˌnakrəˈnistik/
adjective
  1. belonging to a period other than that being portrayed.
    "'Titus' benefits from the effective use of anachronistic elements like cars and loudspeakers"
    • belonging or appropriate to an earlier period, especially so as to seem conspicuously old-fashioned..
But not so old-fashioned that I'm stuck in mono mode

Back when I was a kid in the 70's almost everyone could appreciate and usually Desired to have a good sounding Stereo with nice Big speakers.

I can't Relate to Anyone that doesn't desire a nice Stereo system or Surround Sound setup and is satisfied with a sound bar and earbuds... .. .in fact those are the kind of people that annoy me with their Perspective on listening to music or movie's, they could care less about it all. .. .. and they're usually the people who aren't impressed by powerful and full & rich sound .. yet seem to enjoy it at concerts.
At least this is my experience with people

Common Folk
I agree but what I find equally annoying are people who have systems I could only dream about who think there’s no new music worth listening to, presumably because they don’t like what’s on the radio or what their kids listen to. We live in the golden age of music, both in terms of talent and accesibility.

Last edited:
Last week the ATT tech of about 30 years of age stopped by late in the afternoon to replace a bad router. It took about 15 minutes. He was very professional and new all about the latest and what not.
While walking around the house checking the reception he ran up on the sound room. After listening for about 15 minutes he plugged his phone into one of the receivers and sat in the center recliner for about two hours. I didn't talk much during his listening session. Just answered a lot of questions using no fancy audio words.
He said with his job he had seen and heard it all. I guess not.

I agree but what I find equally annoying are people who have systems I could only dream about who think there’s no new music worth listening to, presumable because they don’t like what’s on the radio or what their kids listen to. We live in the golden age of music, both in terms of talent and accesibility.
Yeah that's like so many people that are stuck in their generations timeline of popular music ...
Where I have always sought out new music and had an appreciation for music of days gone by.
I can only hear a song over and over so many times before I get bored, been there done that...
It's always nice to Re-Visit the past
( our past ) & before.... and the memories songs invoke, but being Stuck in that paradigm is to miss out on so much

What is the intended purpose of the...ellipse ? I think of it as a mental pause, or vocal stutter.

Yes, the ellipsis is a pause usually intended for the reader to finish the thought. As you say, the effect of overuse of ellipses (it seems that it’s the only punctuation mark some people use) is that of a written stutter or that of a persom whose mind is unorganized and thoughts uncertain and helter-skelter.

Back
Top Bottom