Communications at the Fest

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
As last year, we'll be using FRS radios to stay in communication during the time of the Fest. We will be posting the contact details on an easel in the lobby, showing the channel we'll be using and other essential details of what's doing. These radios will keep you in the loop and be a good thing to have if you need a hand with anything.

I will be there on Friday late morning myself. If you've got a hand to lend and will be there before me or around the same time, and can help with setup/teardown, please email me at audiokarma@aol.com

Could a mobile HAM radio station be any help of some sorts.
I can do communications. But then again FRS is license free.

I'm a ham but don't have a rig. I appreciate the offer, but I don't think too many coming are hams.

Might be fun to set up an HF station at the AK Fest. So, those of us who are hams, but who can't make it to the fest could call in. Maybe even have a special event QSL cards made up for it?

If I can get my Icom IC-745 working in time, I might try.

- JP

What's wrong with the intergalactic communicator. The only Icom rig I have is the 2100H. I only use it for free phone calls though, I hate FM.
Well that's not true I use it for more than that, but it's embarrassing.
Something about VHF/UHF freaky modulation just doesn't light up my light bulb anymore.

AM and HF all the way baby. I love splatter boxes.

What no live webcast of the event for us long distant members :tears: This site is so 70s :music:

Lefty

kc8mob said:
What's wrong with the intergalactic communicator. The only Icom rig I have is the 2100H. I only use it for free phone calls though, I hate FM.
Well that's not true I use it for more than that, but it's embarrassing.
Something about VHF/UHF freaky modulation just doesn't light up my light bulb anymore.

AM and HF all the way baby. I love splatter boxes.
Just a simple problem with transmit (what does one expect when a cosmetically nice IC-745 and R-390A are picked up for a package price of $175 at a garage sale?) that I've already tracked down, but haven't been anxious enough to order the part and fix it. I also need to adapt the wiring of my auto-tuner to the accessory plug. Funny, I was never much of a talker as a ham, preferring, rather, the technical parts of DIY and tweaking. So, I've not really missed being able to rag chew on HF and so might not get my rig running in time for the fest.

- JP

Charivari said:
Might be fun to set up an HF station at the AK Fest. So, those of us who are hams, but who can't make it to the fest could call in. Maybe even have a special event QSL cards made up for it?

If I can get my Icom IC-745 working in time, I might try.

- JP

Sound like a winner to me. :thmbsp: Let us know if you set something like this up (bands, frequencies, that sort of thing). I for one would love to be able to attend the out-of-area AK Fests, but I don't drive, so getting to the events is a problem (I didn't even make the one in the Cleveland area which dr*audio hosted a couple years back, for just that reason; I'm some 35 miles from Cleveland and don't know anyone here in my small town who would be willing to drive that far). If nothing else, it will give me an excuse to blow the dust off my Icom IC-725 and use it, say on ten meters for the local fests. I live in an apartment and only have a 51" loaded apartment portable antenna (Barker and Williamson AP-10) ; I'm still trying to find out if the crazy thing works...only made one contact in the three years I've had the antenna, and that was just 20 miles due west of here on 40 meter SSB. :no:

Back
Top Bottom