Comparing JBL Studio 280/290 with the 580/590

Alobar

Addicted Member
I have been bitten by an itch it seems, in this case a 40 year itch. It all started a couple days ago after getting new Sennheiser headphones in the mail that sound so damn good that I can't keep them off my head! Even my wife is getting annoyed at me zoned out all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love my old L200's and don't plan on tossing them on the campfire, ever.

It is just that I am mesmerized by the openness, "air" around the instruments and I like the much flatter bass too with the Senn's. It is not that the 200's don't image some, I have worked with them for placement and such and they do better than they used to. But I think I might be looking for more at this point so long as my budget isn't seriously harmed in the process.

Been reading pretty glowing reports on the Studio series in general and while they are not on sale anymore, they might be at some point and I want to be ready to move on a set of them when/if they do go back on sale.

So my questions are more comparison related. I actually am more drawn to the basic look of the 280 and 290 appearance wise, and certainly cost too. I know the 290 and the 590 both have 8" drivers, but the 590's seem to be more robust but how much better they sound is a question I'd like to know as the costs are considerably more..

I have a 170 wpc amp that is sized to drive any of these fine I think, especially at the relatively low levels of 75-85 db I tend to listen at.

Bottom line I guess what I am wanting is speakers that can have a better image and better bass than what I have now. I don't listen loud much anymore, trying to save my hearing in my rapidly advancing years.
Has anyone fully compared any of these models?

Please note that I live way out here among the outer solar system relatively speaking so I can't just order them without paying $200 to get them here and presumably another 200 to send them back if I don't like. That is a luxury I don't have.

I’ve found that modern small speakers are very satisfying and can have first rate clarity, tone and imaging-soundstage. The only way in which big speakers surpass them is dynamics and volume and if the new small speaker surpasses the old big speaker in clarity, tone and imaging then even if inferior in dynamics it can supply the superior experience.

I’ve found that modern small speakers are very satisfying and can have first rate clarity, tone and imaging-soundstage. The only way in which big speakers surpass them is dynamics and volume and if the new small speaker surpasses the old big speaker in clarity, tone and imaging then even if inferior in dynamics it can supply the superior experience.

I am thinking the same thing. I used to listen to music quite loud for many years, and between that and all the occupational noise I am quite lucky to still hear reasonably well for someone nearing 63. I can hear up to 11-12khz before dropping off. However, when I listen to music loud for more than just a half hour or so I find I don't enjoy it, and the next few days my ears ring. I am now as much satisfied with the volume turned down to the point where I don't need to turn it down further to have at least a short conversation if that is any indication. I do want to hear the detail however.

So as I look at my rather massive L200's that I bought at age 19, I am asking myself why do I need them, at least hogging up a good bit of the living room? It is mostly nostalgia at this point although I still enjoy them a lot, but I think now they might not be required, at least in the livinng room. When I get my shop done I do want something for that and they might be fine out there..

Now the decision would be which one..

Attachments

• Specification Sheet - Studio 590 (English EU).pdf
    556.4 KB · Views: 9
  • STUDIO280_SS_EN.pdf
    179.2 KB · Views: 5
  • STUDIO290_SS_EN.pdf
    177.2 KB · Views: 8
  • STUDIO580_SS_EN.pdf
    564.8 KB · Views: 5
Hey Alobar,
This is just my opinion, if you have the cash then I would opt for the 580-590 speakers, looking at the 280-290 series they look (dated) just like another generic box speaker in the living room where as the 580-590’s look like something special.
Both series (I haven’t heard either) probably sound great but you need to please your eyes as well as your ears.

Regards

Hey Alobar,
This is just my opinion, if you have the cash then I would opt for the 580-590 speakers, looking at the 280-290 series they look (dated) just like another generic box speaker in the living room where as the 580-590’s look like something special.
Both series (I haven’t heard either) probably sound great but you need to please your eyes as well as your ears.

Regards

I am warming up to the looks of the 580, and as of now I have narrowed it down to between the 280 and 580, both due to their smaller footprint which would leave me with a little more room for a couple subs down the road. The 580 has a much more sophisticated design cab without the rectangle shape which is supposed to be good for the LF. The crossover on the 580 is listed at 1500hz but doesn't say what it is on the 280 although I suspect it is higher. The 580 has a compression driver and is straight 2 way where the 280 has a 4" mid cone and a 1" dome in a waveguide, possibly the same one on my awesome little JBL LSR 305's.

Frequency response on the 280 is 40hz to 22khz, sensitivity is 89db and max power recommended is 200w

On the 580, frequency response is 40hz to 40khz, also 200w max and sensitivity is 90db.

They are not very specific about comparing the LF drivers. Both the 280 and 580 are 6.5" "poly plas" but the 580 goes on to say they have cast frames with rubber surrounds and magnetically shielded. I suspect that they are the better engineered woofers and I like the cast frames much better than stamped if that is what the 280's are.

Anyway, this will be kept in the back of my mind and will wait for the next sale on these. One other thing. I will be paying $200 shipping (for 2 speakers) to get them to my place in Alaska and that goes for either of the 6.5" woofer models, so factoring that in, that further tips my decision towards the 580 factoring in shipping in as a percentage of the total cost of the speakers..

As long as you're happy with your final decision with no regret to follow; I guess that is all you can physically do for the moment (short of booking a flight to the mainland).
It's just a shame that there is no way for you to demo either or both pair of speakers so you can make your decision beyond doubt.
Good luck with your final decision.

Last edited:
I mostly have bigger 15" speakers, but like most of us I have a few more. There's really no replacing the sound of a big JBL 15" er, but don't sleep on the JBL 530. Disclaimer - I have never heard the 580 or 590, but I can't believe the clarity and presence or air or awesomeness that comes from the 530s. I have two pairs, just because.

All the JBL studio down to the arena and loft series are legendary in sound. They been highly disregarded by a lot of folks especially since the new audiophile started coming in. They were focusing more on the high dollar speakers. Ive seen so many people that went from one speaker to another, tried the JBL, swapped, then went back. I had my studio 280 going 6 years now. I love it more and more every day and its perfect for my room size which is a 20 x 30. Bass dynamics is incredible. It just broke every rule that I read on crutchfield. Wether I'm running my 8-watts 300B or the 14-watts, it can make those speaker move to its max potential without distorting.. dont even need to put any subs. Large headroom on bass frequency under 100hz especially when you position the speaker to the correct distance from the wall or corner. its very hard to match the overall performance of this speaker. The engineering design and configuration is right on the money.

Get the latest version of the L300 ring radiator you can find, up date the crossover and get your woofers re-magnetized if they have alinco magnets and then get the latest composite cones that will fit and the latest diaphragms for the horns and the new to you L300 will out perform these modern speakers any day of the week with a small fraction of the power. Having speakers with 90 db sensitivity that can only handle 200 watts are made for small rooms and close listening distances, for sure. Your modified new to you L300s's will fill much larger rooms easily. Your woofer has almost 177 sq. inches in area capable of moving a lot of air. The units with two 8 inch woofers only have 100 sq inchs and because of the two drivers and the high crossover frequencies you can experience some destructive interference causing anomalies in frequency response of axis or as you move around a room. So stay with the old school stuff in this case. It will take some time and effort on your part and won't be cheap either, but I know you will be happier. Now if you were talking Synthesis speakers by JBL, I would say go for it. But now we are talking some serious life time investment and total satisfaction. If you were wealthy I'd say for something different get a set of M2 JBL monitors with the included processor and Big Crown amps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom