Components for 8" Passive Subwoofer?

Dreamer9

I wanted a another smallish passive sub for my stereo jazz and classical listening adventures in my tiny 12x15 foot apartment living room. I do also watch movies and surround is a bonus but not a priority. Music is my priority. I have a surround amp, so I can use either stereo mode or surround mode. (Downstairs I have a passive Energy sub plugged into my b-speaker connections and I use my bookshelf speakers in an a+b setting, which works fine.) So...I got a Creative Labs Gigaworks G500 sub with no volume cable for a few bucks and took off the back plate. What I have left is a 1200 cubic inch box with an 8" woofer--black and red wires coming off the woofer--and two curved ports. No insulation inside. I am planning to install a wooden back with banana plug connectors. My question is, what sort of crossover components do I install on the inside of my wooden backing for this 8" woofer? I don't see a 4 or 8 ohm designation printed on the woofer, although the ports may be blocking my view. (Taking out ports would tear up the box because they're glued in a beastly manner.) I'm guessing it's an 8 ohm woofer. And should I stuff it with some insulation?

Greetings and welcome to AK.
Could use more info but my guess a gutted box that had an amp?
2nd? if you have a dmm you can measure the coil ohms.
3rd... a pic would help or if the magnet is quite large? the speaker may handle off a remote channel but they are usually low in output watts signal.
... but if gutted? I'd put in a amp board and use many of the RCA audio outs. Just a small preamp with a vol. control to adjust the a/v to sub db.

edit pt. no insulation needed if down focused.. cheap piece of carpet under the box.

Thanks, I'll work with these concepts next week and get it rolling!

You might consider putting the amp back in and get an car audio active crossover to drive it. You'll need a wall-wart to power it but that is easy. The G500 and it has a mono input for the subwoofer & center channel. Plug the subwoofer output from the crossover in there and use its controls to set the low-pass point. This is a cheap and looks like it would do it -

http://tinyurl.com/kl4p5mu

soundstorm-sx310-electronic-crossover-with-remote-subwoofer-level-control-3-way_1256520.jpeg

g500_3.jpg

Thanks. Great idea. So, this would take care of volume control...bypassing the G500's controls, correct?

Back
Top Bottom