Concept 16.5 MOTHER OF GOD!!!

Trodder

I am not sure what else to say...
9DCDDEFC-68BF-4B53-838C-F7AEA6C224B6.jpeg

I am not even sure I want to say what I paid for it It is fantastic cosmetic shape! DC offset comes in just under 10mv on the right channel and just about 5mv on the left! Only issue is no lights work accept the Stereo indicator light. I saw another guy who said the same including all the LEDs which is usually a result of switches needing some cleaning. Controls sound very clean with only very very light hint of scratch on the balance. All the screenprint on the faceplate is perfect! Seeing all the pics I just couldn’t fathom how big it actually is. Everything is just proportionately large. Even the selector knob is much bigger than I anticipated.

There is a guy tracking the serial numbers. This one is 100989. I am located in MN.

0801451D-2F19-4718-ACFC-FF9989F52F34.jpeg

The worst part is I am not even sure what I’m going to do with it yet. (Again... much bigger than I anticipated) Finding a place for it is going to be a challenge. Barely fits through the door width wise and is longer than a 60s Cadillac.

84552034-111D-41E9-84BE-96C5025E0A3D.jpeg
2D3F7E0D-1689-4040-89BA-4E1BAC671516.jpeg

So far I only have one Klipch KG .5 bookshelf from ‘92ish hooked up to it... I’m afraid to do anymore because I’m already falling in love and I don’t think I have speakers deserving of what this can do and the sound that it makes even on this one tiny bookshelf.

Giggity giggity!!!

So far I only have one Klipch KG .5 bookshelf from ‘92ish hooked up to it... I’m afraid to do anymore because I’m already falling in love and I don’t think I have speakers deserving of what this can do and the sound that it makes even on this one tiny bookshelf.

Congrats on the new monster in your house, but it is stereo!
Please connect two speakers for the full effect.

Major congrats. The 16.5 is the last remaining Monster Receiver in the house. IMO, it was the best of the lot and has earned its place. IIRC, dial lamps are wedge bulbs which are easy to replace. Button LED's is something else. It is unlikely they are all bad so maybe a power supply problem.

Excellent receiver. I had mine for just over a year, but sadly was a casualty (like many others) of my receiver downsizing the past year or so. Enjoy!

Well... stated doing some cleaning and realized all the LEDs being out was not just the contacts. Started checking the incandescent bulbs and those are good but still do not light. I’m guessing the problem is a little deeper. Anyone know where to start? It sounds like I am not the only one who has had this issue, but have not seen anyone else post a fix.

Nevermind about the LEDs and lights... I found the schematic and maged to figure this one out on my own. I looked at the fuses earlier and I made the mistake of trusting what I can "see." After I looked at the schematic I followed it to the power supply circuit for the LEDs and tuner lights and pulled the fuse and it had resistance but it was in the M ohm range so I was scratchy my head. THen I pulled all the others to see what they measured and they are ll .1 ohm... so I robbed peter to pay paul and all is well. The circuit for the lights is 2A and the fuse I borrowed was 1A so it was going to be a quick blow or glorious illumination... I got illumination. Time to go buy some fuses between this and the Sansui 551 I am trying to fix. Note to all about the Concept 16.5... the fuse holders are not good. They feel like they are going to snap in the same location on all. There is no tension left in the same spot on all of them now. I am wondering if I should solder that end of the fuse to the holder to ensure it doesnt lose contact creating more issues. Not sure how hard it would be to replace the fuse holders?

Here is the line(s) I traced to find the problem :)

SCreenshot of LED and light circuit.PNG

Congrats on your purchase and figuring out the problem!

I must say, I've mulled over the 16.5 a few times when I've seen one pop up for sale. I'd take a good look at the 'emergency use only' credit card and be like 'how can I justify this as an emergency?' LOL

Never finally did it though, but that doesn't mean at some point I won't. Maybe the stars (and the digits in my bank account) will align someday!

Enjoy, and don't be shy with the pics of it. ;)

Richard Schramm designed, dual transformer, internal shielding, what's not to like? The cruddy faux Rosewood top and the lack of meters (which I can live without.) I had former member theblacknight make be a hardwood cover for mine.

Richard Schramm designed, dual transformer, internal shielding, what's not to like? The cruddy faux Rosewood top and the lack of meters (which I can live without.) I had former member theblacknight make be a hardwood cover for mine.

It does look a little plain but she sounds sooooooo very nice. Now you are putting ideas in my head to get the real wood cover made :) Maybe even a full wood case???? :banana:

pulled the fuse and it had resistance but it was in the M ohm range so I was scratchy my head.

Were you touching the bare meter leads while you tested the fuse? If so, those meg ohms were you.

Great receiver, BTW.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom