connect two turntables to one receiver?

operaman

I wonder if anyone can help me come up with a solution for running two turntables into an amp with only one phono stage. I like the amp, so while I'd love to have one with two phono stages, I'd rather investigate my options with this one first.

FYI the amp is a Pioneer SX-880. I am currently using the Aux input for my CD player, but could use it as a phono input too? Or is there a y-split option into the Phono in?

Thanks

Get a stand alone phono pre-amp and connect it to one of the tape inputs or the aux input.

Easy peasy.

If you like the sound of the phono input on your receiver, another option is use an audio switcher or an A/V switcher. I've used a
JVC JX-S300 with two tables and it works. It has a remote, so you can switch between inputs. Connect the L/R cable from the tables to the switcher. The output of the switcher would go to your receiver's phono input. The ground leads would be connected to the receiver.

Or just use two Y spliter RCA interconect is the cheapest rout.

Hmmm seems to me that if you use a Y-splitter, the signal will see a path to ground through the pickup coil of the other TT's phono cartridge. This would effectively turn it into a first-order high pass crossover, I believe. Its impossible to know what cutoff frequency would be without knowing the impedance of the coils... but it could be detrimental to your sound.

Best bet would be some kind of source selector box.

Yeah I don't quite get what I'd do with the ground of both TTs if they are going into an RCA y splitter...

Any workaround?

Thanks to you all.

Just get a switcher, Radio Shack used to sell them. 3 or 4 inputs into 1 output. You simply move the switch to the source you want. Both TT grounds will need to go to the reciever, feel free to add a piece of wire if you need to lenghten the run.

Or just use two Y spliter RCA interconect is the cheapest rout.

Cheapest yes but I would avoid this. I guess it works but you are putting another complex load from the other tables cartridge in parallel with the phono stage. The loading for either cartridge may be undesirable in this configuration.

For a little more than the cost of the splitter you can get a TCC phono stage. An ART phono stage solves the problem for $50 and it might sound better too.

Connect the external phono stage to tape if you are using aux already.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't quite get what I'd do with the ground of both TTs if they are going into an RCA y splitter...

Any workaround?

Thanks to you all.

Ground is not the problem. Ground wires from both TTs can be connected. The problem is one cartridge loading the other.

Some people with vintage Fisher receivers had a Tape Head input that was probably never used. This was a low level input but it had different equalization than phono. A solution there is to make the phono eq permanent to the phono stage (removing it from the selector switch) then the Tape Head input becomes a second phono input and the 2 inputs are never connected to each other.

If you have an extra Aux input, you may be able to do some fancy reengineering to route that into the phono preamp, depending on what extra contacts may be available on the selector switch.

My simple solution (second turntable is used only for the rare playing of 78s) is to simply switch cables feeding into barrel connectors behind the turntables.

FWIW, the small signal that TT cables carry is very delicate. Crap like Y splitters, extension cords, switch boxes can cause disaster to the signal.

I've seen it and heard it, but its a free country.

If you like the sound of the phono input on your receiver, another option is use an audio switcher or an A/V switcher. I've used a
JVC JX-S300 with two tables and it works. It has a remote, so you can switch between inputs. Connect the L/R cable from the tables to the switcher. The output of the switcher would go to your receiver's phono input. The ground leads would be connected to the receiver.

I wondered if something like this existed, and was about to start a thread to ask (since I wasn't sure what terms to search for). Good to know!

Last edited:
FWIW, the small signal that TT cables carry is very delicate. Crap like Y splitters, extension cords, switch boxes can cause disaster to the signal.

I've seen it and heard it, but its a free country.

Reminds me of when my music store customers try to use a y signal splitter on an electric guitar and microphone into a guitar amp. The volume and tone controls on the guitar affected the microphone signal and the on/off switch of the mic would shut off the guitar signal. They just couldn't understand why this type of setup won't work, since they fit together so nicely on a 1/4" Y cable.....the low level signals of magnetic pickups are delicate and deserve the best treatment prior to amplification. After they have been cleanly boosted, you have a few more options.

Get an inexpensive switchbox and connect the phono pre into it, switch to whatever one you want after.

I just got the TCC Phono switch box......connecting the ground cable from my Micro Seiki TT to the lug on back of the box eliminated the hum that I've been battling from day one....connecting the other TT (Technics SL3300) reintroduced it.....This is a passive switch box, and one must remember to lower the volume before using the box to switch TTs....
Still a project in progress....

KJR

Back
Top Bottom