Console system brand new made today, So they haven't died completely off

I definitely see these having a place after talking to my daughter in law a few days ago. She says to me, papa bear I want to start playing some vinyl.

To which I replied sure we can get you setup with something, turntable, speakers and receiver. She says no not like yours I want it all in one, As much as she likes my 2 channel setup its to intimidating for her. She goes on to mention even the name like a “Crosley”.

She wants an all in one contained unit, no wires, remotes or cables and such. Sound quality doesn’t mean much, at least not yet to her. Pure convenience is what she wants. But hey if it gets her spinning its a start.

So now I’m on a mission I never thought I’d be on, finding her a decent unit. 10K isn’t going to happen but I see the need being there for sure.

I definitely see these having a place after talking to my daughter in law a few days ago. She says to me, papa bear I want to start playing some vinyl.

To which I replied sure we can get you setup with something, turntable, speakers and receiver. She says no not like yours I want it all in one, As much as she likes my 2 channel setup its to intimidating for her. She goes on to mention even the name like a “Crosley”.

She wants an all in one contained unit, no wires, remotes or cables and such. Sound quality doesn’t mean much, at least not yet to her. Pure convenience is what she wants. But hey if it gets her spinning its a start.

So now I’m on a mission I never thought I’d be on, finding her a decent unit. 10K isn’t going to happen but I see the need being there for sure.
Probably should start searching for a nice KLH Model 20 or 24...or possibly a Pioneer Centrex or one of Sony's nice all-in-ones.

Oh...and BTW: That Symbol tube rig is seriously cool. Don Draper would approve:)

Agreed--it's quite beautiful. But the Zu Audio console actually uses maglev to float the upper section.
How's that for acoustic isolation?! Then again the speakers are in the top section :idea:

Ahh okay, the lower (fixed) section contains the subwoofer.
So it does make sense, which I'd expect from Zu & Co.

Sirius/XM sound quality blows chunks. Too little bandwidth, compression artifacts. And the music selection has gotten worse, and less variety than it used to be. I've heard AM with better audio quality. Yes, it's that bad. Used to be better quality when XM and Sirius were separate companies.

And if you provide them payment information good luck cancelling if you ever decide to terminate service.

Very classy stuff but I cant dream of ever affording that I’m not rich , can’t even find a job.
Honestly I didn’t know what’s a console was nice to see someone is keeping them alive .
This stuff is about 10x what it would cost in the 70s?
Nice if your made of money but 10k is more then most tv & even a 11 ch surround would cost .
Very quality looking products tho !
They should make a jukebox and bring them back in style.:banana:
Probably no competition people buy blootuth Speakers now .:confused:

Facts, ever priced a jukebox in the last 20-30 years new?. Check out the prices when new on a AMI-Rowe R92, Wurlitzer OMT or their CD equivalent. Or a Rock-Ola from say the middle 1980's onward. These are not generally sold mainly to Joe and Jane consumer. They were sold to operators to place on location at your neighborhood pub, club, or tavern. You were looking at somewhere in the $2000 upward range then. CD machines added another $1200 or more to the price tag. A used AMI-Rowe R88 or R92 is a $500-$750 machine in good used working order today on average. And that is for a 45 RPM machine. Cost new far more than most people can afford. Not discounted much either. Repairing a selection unit, amplifier, or mechanical overhaul on the mechanism not cheap if you have to outsource. Parts cost much more than most home electronics, as these machines are built to serve the public every day and abused by the public often. And they need specialized resources to keep playing reliably every day, or people willing to learn the ropes of repair, maintenance, and restoration. Not your typical 11.2 disposable surround AVR or your Blu-Ray. Philips CD-PRO or CD-PRO2 costs more to have rebuilt than a Blu-Ray player does to buy. Just stating reality.

Last edited:
TEAC has some all-in-one systems that aren't too bad:

A likely use would be in a very large non sound dedicated area. Such as a large office big enough to have a bar. Or board room or lobby or...………..
I don't expect to see it in a lot on 200 square foot living rooms.

If significant other doesn't share your audio need. And won't accept separates in view. " Your not bringing that in here!" That could be a palatable compromise.

If I were going to spend that kind of coin, I could get a hand build solid walnut credenza for around 4K and then fill it with better stuff than this with the remaining 6K left over.

Symbol make one I like the look of. Tube amp, Alnico drivers, homc Sumiko cartridge. And it looks nice (to me)

https://www.symbolaudio.com/audio/modern-record-console/

And Zu Audio make a kind of console, their speakers and then you put amp/cd/tuner/turntable of choice in or on it.

https://www.zuaudio.com/zu-modern/
That Zu unit is a clever idea. Not trying to offer a full featured console but instead the piece of audio furniture and speakers in one. Populate with components of choice, neat. Not trying to hang their hat on selling consoles but offering an intriguing option for "stand" and speaker system in one.

TEAC has some all-in-one systems that aren't too bad:

Listen to a properly serviced KLH, Harman-Kardon, Altec, EV, top of the line Sony, and then report back. Or the Benjamin compact (which also has the best changer ever in a compact system). These are all better in every way to this Teac.

Listen to a properly serviced KLH, Harman-Kardon, Altec, EV, top of the line Sony, and then report back. Or the Benjamin compact (which also has the best changer ever in a compact system). These are all better in every way to this Teac.
We were talking about a completely integrated system, including built-in speakers, for 7.62 who requested "an all in one contained unit, no wires, remotes or cables and such".

The ones I mention are all in one, speakers separate. The best available in a space challenged environment. Built in speakers really limits ones options even then and otherwise, a Zenith, Sylvania Exponent, Philco, VM, Magnavox or so with built in speakers was as good as you got, with a swing down record changer.

Back
Top Bottom