Cool Thrift Find

That is cool, I'd have grabbed it too. Is that a magnetic cart? I see turntable upgrade options if it is. The BSR professional series 510/610 should use the same cutout and would be a decent upgade.

Takes me back. That was the first thing to enter my life that even resembled a stereo. My dad bought one of those when he and my mom split up in the early 70s. They got back together and he brought the Fisher home with him.
That stereo got a lot of use in my teen years and most people were surprised at how good it sounded with the XP-7? speakers. Good times.
Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy it for what is.

Is that a magnetic cart?

Yes, Shure M75. After looking around on the web I find very little info on this thing, but Hifi Engine had a service manual. It doesn't give any info on the turntable, just how to remove it. The receiver plays and sounds pretty nice. The pots need to be cleaned and the balance pot does nothing. The turntable definitely some TLC. It starts to turn slow then stops. The idler pivot grease is probably bad. Right now I would really like to keep it as original as possible, but that may change as I get into the turntable.

I've watched these come up from time to time and thinking that maybe I'd grab one for the cool factor. I wonder what speakers they might have come with from the factory?

If you decide to change out the turntable, take a look at the Fisher 220-x model. It appears to be an oem BSR 510 which has a better arm and motor. Good luck getting it going.

Yes, Shure M75. After looking around on the web I find very little info on this thing, but Hifi Engine had a service manual. It doesn't give any info on the turntable, just how to remove it. The receiver plays and sounds pretty nice. The pots need to be cleaned and the balance pot does nothing. The turntable definitely some TLC. It starts to turn slow then stops. The idler pivot grease is probably bad. Right now I would really like to keep it as original as possible, but that may change as I get into the turntable.

M75 is a respectable cart. I was recommended an upgrade stylus for mine, I will see if I can find the box and post the stylus number.

A Shure M75 is a very nice, and very versatile cartridge. They can be anything from heavy duty conical, to Hyper-Elliptical light tracking. With a stylus change. Jico has SAS if you want to go even higher. Jico has every Shure stylus option when NOS can't be had, equal to original Shures. The most versatile cartridge family Shure Brothers ever made. The sound many of us associate with Shure and we grew up with. Can be many things to many people. Your Fisher compact is one of the better available to Americans in the era, with efficient, easy to drive speakers, very nice. And USA made, and nice performing.

I've watched these come up from time to time and thinking that maybe I'd grab one for the cool factor. I wonder what speakers they might have come with from the factory?
I had something like this that came with Fisher XP-55C speakers, which I remember were horrid sounding. It needed something better.

I got the turntable working today. The Shure has a N75 C (conical) stylus on it, nice sounding cartridge. I hooked it up to a pair of Polk Monitor 30s that were sitting unused. I'm really surprised how good this thing sounds. The receiver has a warm tubey flavor that's very easy to listen to. FM sounds good and the tuner is giving me strong stereo reception with no antenna. The turntable sounds much better than it has any right too. Good overall balance with a warm but detailed sound, hard to ask for much more. I'm thinking this thing may mate well with my Wharfedale W70Ds.

I had something like this that came with Fisher XP-55C speakers, which I remember were horrid sounding. It needed something better.

Maybe some KLH 32's. They are small, but great sounding for what they are and fit the period style. That would be a nice upgrade for the Fisher.

Back
Top Bottom