Cornstock 2017 (Iowa/Midwest gathering) September 16

I'm on this. I've love to see and hear other systems and chatting with you guys will be a blast, I'm sure.

I'm in Des Moines, and so am not very far away. I have a car hauler trailer with a Yukon to pull it, but it's obviously an "open" trailer and I'm not sure any of us would want to transport our equip on that, due to dust\weather.
Another option is that I might bring some Klipsch Fortes, if I bring those, I'll try to get borrow an enclosed trailer from a friend - that would be great for hauling equip. If\when I get that enclosed trailer lined up, I'll let you guys know, in case someone needs equip transported.

Part of my problem, it's hard to move equipment as my back is pretty prone to injury and stereo equip can be darn heavy.

Either weekend looks OK for me.
I'm glad it looks like you will be able to make it. You're welcome to bring as much or as little as you like. If you don't want to bring anything heavy like speakers, bring some other gear, music or enjoy listening to whatever will be here.

For those of you that have been to AK gatherings, what is the norm? Is it common to have one or two areas where people can experiment with gear and visit or are there normally several areas?

I've only been to one, but several times to that one. Small house, main listening spot is the living room. Sometimes there is a small system in the kitchen to demo bookshelves, etc. Then outside either front or back there's an outdoor system and a couple popup canopies where the swap tables are. Kinda depends on what space you have, how many people and what you want to do. Gear usually rotates in and out of those systems during the day.

You can completely let it evolve on the day, or you can get organized and figure out who's bringing what gear they want to hook up and demo. Probably somewhere in between is the sweet spot. If you wanna do outdoor sound it might be good to make sure you have a big enough system for that and power delivery. Always good to have power at the swap area anyway so people can plug things in to check for a pulse.

I've only been to one, but several times to that one. Small house, main listening spot is the living room. Sometimes there is a small system in the kitchen to demo bookshelves, etc. Then outside either front or back there's an outdoor system and a couple popup canopies where the swap tables are. Kinda depends on what space you have, how many people and what you want to do. Gear usually rotates in and out of those systems during the day.

You can completely let it evolve on the day, or you can get organized and figure out who's bringing what gear they want to hook up and demo. Probably somewhere in between is the sweet spot. If you wanna do outdoor sound it might be good to make sure you have a big enough system for that and power delivery. Always good to have power at the swap area anyway so people can plug things in to check for a pulse.
Like stacked bose 901 speakers and a big ass tube amplifier.

H

Hey thanks, that's exactly the kind of info/advice I was hoping for. I think I can come up with some good options. I'm planning on a using JBL 4560s with 511 horns on top and a folded horn subwoofer outside and I will have a couple of different areas available to try different setups.

I haven't heard anyone voice a preference for a date so I think I'm going to go ahead with the weekend of September 15-17. I run a business from my home and setting a date helps me schedule accordingly. Hopefully most that are interested can make it then.

I'm using this event as an excuse to try and finish up a few audio projects that I've been a little slow getting to. So far so good. If my back-ordered parts arrive, I should have my Stephens drivers mounted and crossovers built by then and ready to try out.

I will calendarize it!

Looks to be about 4 hours directly north of me up US 63. Have to see how the schedule looks and all. Might be able to do an overnight in view of the distance.

I too have some projects I've been wanting to finish...

Last edited:
I'm on this. I've love to see and hear other systems and chatting with you guys will be a blast, I'm sure.

I'm in Des Moines, and so am not very far away. I have a car hauler trailer with a Yukon to pull it, but it's obviously an "open" trailer and I'm not sure any of us would want to transport our equip on that, due to dust\weather.
Another option is that I might bring some Klipsch Fortes, if I bring those, I'll try to get borrow an enclosed trailer from a friend - that would be great for hauling equip. If\when I get that enclosed trailer lined up, I'll let you guys know, in case someone needs equip transported.

Part of my problem, it's hard to move equipment as my back is pretty prone to injury and stereo equip can be darn heavy.

Either weekend looks OK for me.

I'm in Ankeny, If you need assistance moving heavier items.

I may be able to bring my new to me pair of Bozak B300's.

I haven't heard anyone voice a preference for a date so I think I'm going to go ahead with the weekend of September 15-17. I run a business from my home and setting a date helps me schedule accordingly. Hopefully most that are interested can make it then.

Adding the dates to my calendar

You can put me down as a tentative, won't really know until the date gets closer. :thumbsup:

The invitation was so warm and inviting I had to look. 1088 miles 16 hours 21 minutes.
As nice as it sounds , I think I'll have to pass. OP Thanks for invitation!
You guys, have a great time!

The invitation was so warm and inviting I had to look. 1088 miles 16 hours 21 minutes.
As nice as it sounds , I think I'll have to pass. OP Thanks for invitation!
You guys, have a great time!
That would be quite a drive! You're welcome anytime if you ever get to this part of the Midwest.

Here's a picture of an area we could use outside. This is looking outwards from where we would be trying out any outdoor system that we decide to put together.
20170629_135736_zpsi0ouap1p.jpg

There is also a deck off of the house (could set up another system there) and a fire ring we can use later in the evening if anyone is still around later in the day. If there is a chance of rain, we can use the outbuilding and I will have a room or two ready in the house.

Sorry I didn't see this thread until now. I'll have to check with the boss first but put me down as a maybe. I don't have much of anything that exciting that anyone would probably care about listening to, but if there is a swap table, I have tuners, receivers and speakers that might be of interest. Possibly some records, CDs and cassette blanks if there is any interest. Things that have been fun to play with but have been sitting in corners or taking up space for far, far too long.

If (Dave) Avionic is going to be there, maybe I can talk him into looking at a Yamaha CA-600 I have that would make a killer setup for my work desk but has been finicky. Would I be crazy to drop money on a recap/fixup?

Sorry I didn't see this thread until now. I'll have to check with the boss first but put me down as a maybe. I don't have much of anything that exciting that anyone would probably care about listening to, but if there is a swap table, I have tuners, receivers and speakers that might be of interest. Possibly some records, CDs and cassette blanks if there is any interest. Things that have been fun to play with but have been sitting in corners or taking up space for far, far too long.

If (Dave) Avionic is going to be there, maybe I can talk him into looking at a Yamaha CA-600 I have that would make a killer setup for my work desk but has been finicky. Would I be crazy to drop money on a recap/fixup?
I hope you can make it. I think it's a good idea to have a sell/swap table, I should probably start a post in Bartertown. I've bought some media from you before and enjoyed it, please bring whatever you like.

As far as if it's worth investing in a recap/fixup on your Yamaha, I can fully endorse Dave's work. You are welcome to audition a couple of pieces of mine that he has gone through.

Back
Top Bottom