Cornstock 2018 Iowa/Midwest gathering September 15

Looks like Tyella and I are out on this one. Would really love to come up but just too many irons in the fire. I expect a full report though!

Looks like Tyella and I are out on this one. Would really love to come up but just too many irons in the fire. I expect a full report though!

I totally understand having too many irons in the fire. We will miss having you here, see you another time!

What time does this shin dig start?
Anytime people start showing up works for me. Last year it was mid-morning, right around 10. I’ll plan on starting the grill around 11:30-12. I’ll have several areas with systems or where we can set up and try out equipment. It’ll be pretty casual, feel free to come and go as you please.

A quick note - I run a business from my home and there will be customers on part of the property off and on during open hours. It won’t affect us, my wife will be taking care of the business and we will be using a different part of the property.

Looking forward to visiting with everyone.

Looks like I'm going to be a no-show as well. Got to work next weekend.

Dang, I'm looking at the pic of the portable trailer system and really wishing I was coming. I finally got our group-owned sawmill at my place last month and I have a lot of logs to saw before it starts to get cold, and another member waiting for it, so that's keeping me here on weekends.

I wonder if Osage Orange would make a good speaker cabinet... :idea:

The bike is a Salsa Fargo. I used it to ride the Great Divide route (only part of the way) through Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Absolutely one of the best rides of my life. The bike is fantastic, and the ride is amazing! I don’t think I’ve ever felt that free before or since, and I almost didn’t come home. Just keep riding. No job. No worries. No responsibility.
I’ve been looking at Fargos. A buddy of mine put 11,000 miles on one and did the divide trail as well. I can only imagine the feeling of absolute freedom while riding the divide. What size frame is yours? If it’s a 54cm do you want to trade for audio gear?;) I’m debating letting my AMT3s go to fund my next bike.

Dang, I'm looking at the pic of the portable trailer system and really wishing I was coming. I finally got our group-owned sawmill at my place last month and I have a lot of logs to saw before it starts to get cold, and another member waiting for it, so that's keeping me here on weekends.

I wonder if Osage Orange would make a good speaker cabinet... :idea:
Osage Orange is one of my absolute favorite woods. Tough as nails and won’t rot like other wood. I’ve built s bow out of it and have another in the works.

Congrats on the sawmill. You could probably set aside a few late evenings/early mornings to make up for not using it this weekend.;) I understand trying to balance everything time wise. It’s the greatest challenge of my life. It’s fun trying to do it all:).

I wouldn't object to trading for something, but not sure what. This one is a 20" and has all of the front and rear racks and bags. The Fargo handlebars are fantastic and provide lots of hand positions for long distance riding. Last summer I switched over to a Pivot Les, and I'm still not sure which one I like better. The Fargo is amazingly comfortable and has a lot of storage. The Pivot is 2/3 the weight and has a suspension fork. Maybe the thing to do is put a suspension fork on the Fargo and live with the extra weight.

The Great Divide is simply incredible, and every day is something new. We rode past elk, moose, grizzlies, and black bears. Got rained and snowed on at every mountain pass. Soaked in hot springs. Ran out of food and water. I'd recommend it to anybody.

I'm thinking of taking another long distance adventure trip--maybe you should get tuned up and come with. I want to fly or take Amtrak to the west coast with a bike and then catch a tramp freighter down to Chile. Hop off the boat there and ride up and over the Andes and across Argentina. After that catch another tramp freighter up the east coast. Get off somewhere in the US, buy a car and drive it home. My wife says I'll have to update my life insurance and travel solo; she won't let me take any of the kids.

It’s fun trying to do it all:).

At least we're not bored! I am amazed when anyone says "I'm so bored, I wish I had something to do!" How does that even happen.

Full time job is part of the problem. One day that will be rectified!

Actually that Sunday I have an opportunity to set up a display at a farmer's/craft market and hopefully start selling some locally harvested lumber or at least getting my name and number out there. It would be hard to do Cornstock any justice and also be ready for that at 8 am Sunday.
I can hear Scotty saying "Captain, I canna change the laws of physics!" :D

We’re a couple days away. I’ve been replying to some of you via PMs with my address and phone #. If anyone else is planning on making it and needs my info, PM me.

I would love to come but would like to form a small group from the Iowa City area to go up with me.

Well, folks, it looks like Mr and Mrs Splat won't make it after all - Barbara is recovering from a tooth abscess and the Volvo has been burning out lamps right and left. Currently, it's the left side low beam, but Barb has a funny feeling about a trip just now, so maybe next year...sorry!

I would love to come but would like to form a small group from the Iowa City area to go up with me.
Hope you end up joining us. Its about a 1.5 hr drive to my place from Iowa City. If you know of any AKers or audio fans in the area bring them along with. :)

Well, folks, it looks like Mr and Mrs Splat won't make it after all - Barbara is recovering from a tooth abscess and the Volvo has been burning out lamps right and left. Currently, it's the left side low beam, but Barb has a funny feeling about a trip just now, so maybe next year...sorry!
Sorry you aren’t going to make it, hopefully another time. Hope you get the Volvo figured out and Barb has a quick recovery.

It’s looking like tomorrow’s group will be a bit smaller than anticipated. Several people have messaged me with conflicts and challenges. The weather should be pretty nice, maybe a bit warm until later afternoon.

I’ve been using this gathering for some motivation to finish my Bozak Project (your old speakers @Iowa Tele ). I converted B300s to B302s by adding Mids and I built some Tobin crossovers. I’ve barely tested them, they put out sound at least, I’ll wait until tomorrow and you can tell me if they sound right. I’ve also made a few adjustments to the Tri-amped Horn setup and should have that ready if anyone wants to hear their music at concert levels outside. I tested it out with an impressive Pipe organ piece, I think you’ll like it. :thumbsup:.

I’ll be heading to the store in a bit for supplies and name tags, looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Looking forward to today's gathering. Doesn't look like we'll have any rain and @Leben is a gracious host. If you're son the fence about coming, just do it.

I'm also adding a few items to the FS thread.

Sorry I didn't see this thread about a month ago. I probably would have made it again this year with advanced planning.

I wish you an enjoyable day "on the farm" everyone. Leben is a great host.

Back
Top Bottom