Cornwall heaven. What compares?

Love my Cornwall II's, and had a great pair of verticals that I foolishly sold off. But I recently picked up a pair of KLH 5's(had a pair of those that I sold off too awhile back) and with my Dynaco MKIII's they sound terrific. Best thing about them is that they're completely different then the CII's. That said, I'll not ever get rid of the CII's. Just nice to have some different options to play with.

Last edited:
I would also suggest the Altec model 19 speakers. I owned a pair, brand new in 1979. They were a great sounding pair of speakers! I have the current Klipsch Cornwall speakers.Three years ago I sold my Klipschorn's which were new. The room they were in was just to small, to do them justice. Growing up in South Bend Indiana, I was only 40 miles from a great speaker company, that being Electro-Voice. During the 1950's,1960's, and 1970's Electro-Voice produced, some of the finest speakers ever made. Have you ever heard of the EV- Patrican's? They were larger than a double door refrigerator! They had a 30 inch bass driver! Electro Voice stopped the production of them, during the late 1960"s or 70's. They brought them back for one last production run around 1975. The older ones were sought after in Japan EV produced a limited number, that were sold in Japan for $10,000 each. That was $20 thousand a pair, which was a lot of money in 1975! .Another speaker they produced during the late 1970's 80's was a huge three way, called the Sentry III. they were larger than the Altec 19's and had a sound that i loved. They were horns with a 15 inch bass driver.If you like the Cornwall's, you might look for a pair. The last great speaker they made was the Interface series.The largest were the Interface D's.

I had one Cornwall.Never had the partner so I sold it.I did compare that Cornwall to one of my Cerwin Vega 317p Rocker( circa around 1980 15 inch woofer,large cabinet speaker) and surprisingly I preferred the CV at the time.Regardless the Cornwall is still on my short list of wanted speakers.I have waiting in the wings a set of Electrovoice SP15-T-35 speakers waiting to be mated to some large cabinets.I have the Vandies and KEFs for a more natural,pipoint type sound but I find the 15 inch woofer type speakers very desirable addition to my listening experiences.

I hate to crush many individuals, but head to head my Technics beat my Cornwalls. Not just my opinion either, I blind tested with several friends and family and all liked my Technics better.
Yes I was shocked and surprised.

Cornwalls are hard to beat especially with a good tube amp. I have owned mine for 28 years and I am still happy with them. I purchased Bob Crites new X/O boards and CT-125 tweeters.that made a nice difference.

Cornwalls also sound nice with many 50 watt and less better SS amplifiers too.

After I got my showroom condition (and exceptionally rare maple cabinets) EV Sentry III's a couple of years ago I'm done buying speakers. I'm glad I missed a pair of Altec 19's on Craigslist by 30 minutes and the Sentry III's found me a few weeks later.

at last count, I have about 12 sets of larger vintage speakers, electro voice, KLH, fraziers, wharfedales, kirksaeters, etc. but even after total rebuilds none compare to my klipsch Cornwalls. I have decided it has to do with the 15" woofers and the larger size cabs. Most the other pairs I have are 12" woofers with a slightly smaller cab.

My question- what speakers have you found to produce as good of sound, (powered by tube amp) as Cornwalls for similar or less cost? Does it exist?
Two pair of Fortes almost make me as happy as my Cornies

each to his own but there is no argument that a larger mid horn will provide polar control to a lower frequency than a smaller horn can and that translates into a better and more believable stage and image. It also provides the opportunity to cross a little lower which make the driver which is presenting the most important range of sound to have a wider bandwidth and that is also a big positive. So larger horns combined with lower compression translates directly into lower distortion and that is what you will see in modern designs horns which generally now have conical throat sections which then progress in to various other profiles to control dispersion pattern with tractrix being very a very popular profile.

Last edited:
I agree Moray it's having room and the funds to upgrade from my Cornwalls. It's hard to spend $$ on a system you are still happy with plus my room is so small my Corns take up 1/3 of the front wall with the 55" TV between them and foot of space on each of the TV. A few months ago I added a used SVS PB 13 Ultra sub that was a upgrade from my two Klipsch 12" for sure. Your old CT-125 tweeters are still singing to me.

I agree Moray it's having room and the funds to upgrade from my Cornwalls. It's hard to spend $$ on a system you are still happy with plus my room is so small my Corns take up 1/3 of the front wall with the 55" TV between them and foot of space on each of the TV. A few months ago I added a used SVS PB 13 Ultra sub that was a upgrade from my two Klipsch 12" for sure. Your old CT-125 tweeters are still singing to me.

Hey Louis: good to hear from you. Hope you are enjoying your motorcycle this summer. A larger horn can provide more room isolation in a small room and a two way will integrate better over a shorter distance than a three way can so a two way can sound better in the near field. The catch is that you need a new horn and you need a new crossover and you need a new wide band compression driver. So the upshot is more money and a project but the pay off is better sound and less room interaction. If you are happy then stay where you are. If you get the bug then you know what way to go. Bob Crites has already done all the heavy lifting for you just look at his Cornscala "D". Be well and best regards.

Hey Louis: good to hear from you. Hope you are enjoying your motorcycle this summer. A larger horn can provide more room isolation in a small room and a two way will integrate better over a shorter distance than a three way can so a two way can sound better in the near field. The catch is that you need a new horn and you need a new crossover and you need a new wide band compression driver. So the upshot is more money and a project but the pay off is better sound and less room interaction. If you are happy then stay where you are. If you get the bug then you know what way to go. Bob Crites has already done all the heavy lifting for you just look at his Cornscala "D". Be well and best regards.

Hi Morary....it's too HOT to ride the motorcycle too far and all the rain this summer hard to plan a short 2 day trip and not dodge a thunder storm.
I agree on the two way with a larger horn in a shorter distance etc. Retired now and I am still stupid happy with what I have. I still have those larger Universiry Horns and tweeters from my late's dad's DIY days.
We talked about making a second motor board and installing those horns in the back side of my Cornwalls. Or try a DIY CornScala but I don't have any wood saws etc. so they are still in my garage.

I hate to crush many individuals, but head to head my Technics beat my Cornwalls. Not just my opinion either, I blind tested with several friends and family and all liked my Technics better.
Yes I was shocked and surprised.

Well, that was one of the select few better offerings that Technics ever made and rare as hens teeth for finding parts for versus the plentiful Cornwall parts bin and modification scene. I'm pretty sure those were only made for a few years. If I had a pair of them, I'd be hard pressed to ever sell them because of their rarity. Unless it was a stupid amount of money, of course.

Back
Top Bottom