Cornwall restoration project, anyone got anything laying around?

Discussion in 'The Klipsch Korner' started by ohmadv, May 14, 2018.

1. ohmadv

ohmadv New Member

I acquired this (sort of) pair of Klipsch cornwall’s today. With the grills on they look like a matching pair but pull them off and you discover a different story. One is a Cornwall I and the other is a Cornwall II. Both the tweeter horns were replaced with an automotive realistic twin piezo horn and one 15” driver was replaced with a realistic driver...

I’m really stumped as to what to do with these. I was thinking about getting the correct tweeter horns, one more correct bass driver, and a pair of new updated crossovers so they match.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Silentnet

Silentnet I like to keep my issues drawn... Subscriber

I hope they were cheap, at least?

Best of luck in your search!

3. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

Depends on the cost of the replacement items and the price you paid for the speakers themselves. It appears the cabinets are in good condition, which is a good start. As you stated, replace that RatShack woofer for the original to match the opposite speaker and replace both tweeters for matching originals. Make sure the mids match. You could also decide on standard upgrades like Crites mids and tweets and ALK crossovers for more bang for your buck.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. ohmadv

ohmadv New Member

Let’s just say if they were plug and play it would have been the eqivent of a walk off grand slam in the ninth inning in the 5th game of the World Series.

5. macyjrm

macyjrm AK Subscriber Subscriber

I vote for restoring to original. Sign up as an Audio Karma subscriber at a cost of $25 annual. Then in the “wanted to buy” section advertise for original components. That famous auction site beginning with the letter e can also be a source. Soon you will have a technically correct sweet pair of well regarded speakers.

6. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

I don't know, because I am not all that familiar with Cornwalls other than listening to a few sets (so this is an honest question), but are there crossover issues that are going to need to be addressed between series I and series II?

7. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

Judging by the pictures I'd say yes.

8. ohmadv

ohmadv New Member

Yeah so I was planning on addressing the crossover issue but also planning on keeping the originals so I could sell as a pair or individually as center channels or something down the road if I get board with them. Idk if I will ever get board of them...

9. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

In reality, you're going to have to decide what versions you want to redo them as. Bob Crites has all newer style drivers you could use and them be all new. Otherwise, if you wanted to go Cornwall I's, you have a single K-33 woofer and K-600 horn to work with, a single crossover, etc. If you go Cornwall II's, you basically have no woofers as the II uses the K-34-E versus the K-33 but you have a crossover, horn and a mid.

It's really going to depend on how much you want to sink into them as to what you do. Let's just say you were able to salvage those baffles and install all new Crites drivers (which I personally use in my homemade Belle's I built....except K-33 woofers), for what you spend, you'd could almost buy another set of Cornwall's that would be authentic. So most likely well over a grand for new woofers, mids, tweeters, and crossovers. That's about what you see intact Cownwalls go for.

If it were me personally and with how rough of shape those are in with the two different cabinets, I'd just pick the version I wanted to go with and look for used parts online as they came up. It may be a waiting game. Neither horn nor tweeter will really interchange size wise and crossover wise. Refinishing the cabinets is an entirely 'nother story, too. Not to mention the grills being slightly different.

There are rare occasions where you see a single Cornwall for sale too. But don't hold your breath.

Ugh....I'd personally have a rough time with deciding what to do. I could build all new cabinets about as easily as refinishing those.

10. avguytx

avguytx AK Subscriber Subscriber

So here's what you'd need...

Original Cornwall:
    K-33 woofers
    K-55-V mids with K-600 horns
    K-77 tweeters
    Can use Type B, B-2 or B-3 crossover I believe.

Cornwall II
    K-34-E woofers
    K-57-K midrange (same as Chorus I)
    K-79-K tweeters (same as Chorus I & II)
    Crossovers could be B-2 or B-3 maybe. New crossovers from Bob Crites are $275 a pair by themselves with all new parts and include wires.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    eiraved likes this.
  11. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

In either case (going v1 or v2) you have a lot of work to do (I went off and did some homework out of curiosity). Either way, you are going to have a substantial investment in drivers/crossovers, baffle modifications, and even then, they still won't match. I hope you don't have too much invested in them. Personally, I'd probably just punt and part them out and look for a correct matching pair, if you are really looking to have Cornwalls, or you could salvage some of the drivers to apply toward one of Crites Cornscala builds.

darkblue94 likes this.