Counterfeit Sony MDR-V6?

PickledFish

I bought a pair direct from Amazon and they came with a cloth/nylon (with velvety interior) bag, instead of the classic vinyl bag.

Everything else is about them is legit from what I can tell. The plastic on the box IS an insert, but is secured to the box at the front/bottom, all the packaging is very neat, the Sony logo is a sticker (this is the black box 2014 version), the STUDIO MONITOR on the box is in shiny silver text. There is a sticker over the original UPC with a new UPC, however.

The headphones themselves look legit from what I could see. They have conical drivers (I didn't unscrew them to see the serial number, so not sure there). The only things I could point out were the stitching on the headband was about .5mm too thin, the STUDIO HEADPHONE text on top of the headband doesn't appear as a shiny silver (it's a matte silver/gray instead - but not sure if that's an MDR-V6 thing or just a MDR-7506 thing), and the dot-matrix font on the earcup stickers (where is says DIGITAL) as printed as squares (not sure if that's supposed to be squares or dots?).

The only thing is, there's no vinyl bag. Just a cloth bag.

But it doesn't make sense because the newer gold packaging still has the vinyl bag. Why would the black box version have a cloth bag?

Some people are reporting the MDR-V7506 is now coming with a cloth bag as well. Anyone know?

Perhaps you bought headphones that were returned to Amazon. The bag was missing so they threw these into a generic bag.

Perhaps you bought headphones that were returned to Amazon. The bag was missing so they threw these into a generic bag.

D'oh, it seems I wasn't clear. It was a Sony bag, with SONY embossed into the fabric. Like the one in this review:

https://www.worldbolding.com/home/2017/8/27/sony-mdr-7506-headphones-2017-review-a-new-bag

Just not the normal vinyl bag.

If it's a return, that's very unfortunate, and also it doesn't seem like it. Everything was sealed and seemed like new. *shrug*

My limited experience with knockoffs is markedly inferior results for type if low price.

What you don't mention is the price you paid, was it lower than normal? Also, how do they sound?? If they sound good to your ears why fret about the rest. We are talking about headphones priced in the mid fifty dollar range after all.

What you don't mention is the price you paid, was it lower than normal? Also, how do they sound?? If they sound good to your ears why fret about the rest. We are talking about headphones priced in the mid fifty dollar range after all.

I did in the OP. You can still see on Amazon the price.

I bought a pair direct from Amazon

Not from a seller, from Amazon directly through Prime. I got it with next day shipping, so the price is exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom