Craig 5030 Home Receiver, What!

Bigkahuna

Working through a stack of gear the past few days and this is one of the units I have. I remember Craig from the car audio days of my youth but never knew they made stereo speakers. Little on the internet and AK has most info on these. From research I guess they also did turntables and speakers and the stuff wasn't bad. This one is 50 watts and pretty heavy and it's going up on the bench next. Anyone own one or heard one?

I had one as a kid....don't remember much about black with green scale I think. I know it had an 8 track built-in. I think it had slide controls.

An uncle had one when I was a kid. I remember it actually sounded pretty good. Also it didn’t have an 8 track on it or anything like that, just a receiver. Kind of looked like a mid level Pioneer. Isn’t Craig part of Sanyo?

There was a few Craig separate HiFi components around 1974. The 5000 line. There was this receiver you mention, which was Japanese built and decent. There was a belt drive, 2 speed AC motor turntable of very good quality (Fujiya Audio in Japan built that) that I know of.

Here is my Craig 5503 stereo receiver still in very good condition. Everything thing works and has a great sound playing L.P.s Bought it from a good friend in 1978 as he upgraded to a Craig 5506.1000000099.jpg

Craig had a decent name when I was a kid, I think they were more popular with CB's or car stereos? Most of the more common Craig I see is rebadge early mono Sanyo Boomboxes from around 72. It wouldn't surprise me if most of it was made by Sanyo, some equipment needed to be rebranded for different retail outlets to minimize competition and price matching.

I agree that Craig car stereo's and 8 tracks were everywhere and affordable. I do like the slanted front on these series 5000 recievers they aren't flat faced like most other recievers. I feel lucky I can still play L.P.s with it and takes me back in time is priceless. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom