Creek Classic 5350se

KOWHeigel

High Gear of Your Soul
Just picked up a nice 5350se off from BT because my Arcam is receiving some TLC. I only got to casually listen for about an hour last night but I like what I hear. I have it hooked up to my ADS L880's using the hrt ms ii as the source. I will say that what I was immediately impressed with was the detail at low level listening. I feel that normally I always need to turn things up just a little bit to get the depth, imagining, etc.. that I like. But with the Creek it appears to present very well at low levels ... which is a big plus because with 2 little kids you can't always rock the house :)

Pics and more impressions to come later.

As a Creek owner I'm definitely not free of any bias, my Destiny 2 is the best amp I've ever owned. I think the 5350 is going to be very similar in sound/ virtues so it will be interesting to hear your impressions of the amp once you really become accustomed to it. I'm going to be watching this thread

Ok so I don't have any pictures but I have listened to the 5350se quite a lot recently. I have not done any "serious" listening but have probably racked up around 30 hours of casual listening while doing stuff around the house. As mentioned in my first post I have this hooked up to a pair of ADS L880's and my source is a linux laptop running MPD and the dac is a HRT Music Streamer II. I have a all sorts of digital material from redbook, to sacd rips, hd tracks, and vinyl rips.

Once again I was impressed by the low volume level detail of the Creek. I sometimes get into the mode of turning up my music because I want more. I do not get this "pull" when using the Creek. That's not to say that it doesn't sound good cranked up. I was listening to Led Zep. II and cranked it up pretty good (11 on the invisible dial) and it played to very loud levels with not a hint of distortion. Generally between 9 and 10 on the dial is sufficiently loud to fill my listening space (which is an open room plan about 15 feet wide by 30-35 long).

Given the casual listening that I employ when upstairs I don't feel real comfortable about specific descriptions regarding soundstage, instrument placement, and other micro detailed analysis. However, I can say that the Creek's strength is in its midrange while it holds its own in the low end it doesn't truly excel there and I found the highs to be pleasant but potentially a little rolled off. Overall, it has a slightly warm signature but leans more towards neutral than anywhere else. The Creek does PRAT really well and is truly exceptional at maintaining its composure with fast paced rythmic pieces. Although I didn't do any listening with my dynaudio's this piece showed some similar characteristics with the brio-r in regards to PRAT. And imho this is high praise indeed as the brio-r is a little champ when paired with the right speakers.

the creek is actually is very similar to the arcam alpha 10 however the arcam is better in the low end (the arcam really is exceptional here imho) and not quite as strong in the mids and with prat. I like both pieces very much and would highly recommend each for soembody looking for a newer/used piece of kit.

If you can't tell I am currently enjoying the british hi fi sound from my amps as all the pieces I have tend to bring a little extra excitement to music that I like.

Nice review as I've not heard the 5350 but it does sound as if there are many similarities between it and the Destiny 2. Bass is perhaps not the best out there but on the Destiny it sounds as if there might be more treble energy from your description here. Of course the British sound is correct to me, I grew up with it.

Last edited:
Well done and very nice to read your thoughts on the Creek amp. I really like Creek amps. Although they are appreciated by audio enthusiasts I still feel that they are under rated and under valued. The new Evolution 50A is a very exciting entry in to the budget HiFi world. The Destiny is or should be a classic. I had an old 4330R and that was one fantastic little amp.

Congrats on the new Creek. Their gear looks wonderful and most every review I've read on any of their gear has been positive.

I'm learning to love my Destiny.:music: My only :sigh: is with the matching CDP. Somewhat noisy transport. They still play wonderfully together. And by the way, Thanks again Spektre.

...r1

I'm learning to love my Destiny.:music: My only :sigh: is with the matching CDP. Somewhat noisy transport. They still play wonderfully together. And by the way, Thanks again Spektre.

...r1

Yeah there was quite a bit of complaining about that transport and justifiably so. With Creek, amps are their forte and they do that quite well.

...r1

Your welcome roadie. I've had a lot of integrated's and a couple of pre-power combos and the Destiny will serve me well for a few years to come, its a taste of high end on a budget.

Nice catch. Congratulations. I just became aware of how good Creek is when I was shopping for an Amp and considering the BrioR. I started a thread on that.

The current Stereophile has a review of the new Creek Evolution 50A that mentions for comparison the 5350, 5350se and Destiny 2.
For those that won't see the article, he concludes: "The "5350se has airier more extended highs, richer, more dimensional midrange, finer gradations of dynamics...transients cleaner, crisper...midbass superior definition."
This is as one would expect from an amp that was priced higher.

The Destiny: "revealed much more inner detail...yada yada...more praise than either the 50A or the 5350se"
This is also as you would expect as the 50A cost less than half the price of the Destiny.

Creek is not trying with the 50A to beat their previous higher end units but introducing a better competitor in a new lower price range, while offering a new set of unusual options.

Mike Creek wrote a nice response to the article. I like that column too.

I conclude from the article that the 5350se also is a great bargain, good price for high quality hifi.

Last edited:
Nice catch. Congratulations. I just became aware of how good Creek is when I was shopping for an Amp and considering the BrioR. I started a thread on that.

The current Stereophile has a review of the new Creek Evolution 50A that mentions for comparison the 5350, 5350se and Destiny 2.
For those that won't see the article, he concludes: "The "5350se has airier more extended highs, richer, more dimensional midrange, finer gradations of dynamics...transients cleaner, crisper...midbass superior definition."
This is as one would expect from an amp that was priced higher.

The Destiny: "revealed much more inner detail...yada yada...more praise than either the 50A or the 5350se"
This is also as you would expect as the 50A cost less than half the price of the Destiny.

Creek is not trying with the 50A to beat their previous higher end units but introducing a better competitor in a new lower price range, while offering a new set of unusual options.

Mike Creek wrote a nice response to the article. I like that column too.

I conclude from the article that the 5350se also is a great bargain, good price for high quality hifi.

Thanks for posting this. I'm certainly still enjoying mine.

I have become interested in the creek evolution 50a.

Does anyone care to give a current opinion on that amp?

Ok so I don't have any pictures but I have listened to the 5350se quite a lot recently. I have not done any "serious" listening but have probably racked up around 30 hours of casual listening while doing stuff around the house. As mentioned in my first post I have this hooked up to a pair of ADS L880's and my source is a linux laptop running MPD and the dac is a HRT Music Streamer II. I have a all sorts of digital material from redbook, to sacd rips, hd tracks, and vinyl rips.

Once again I was impressed by the low volume level detail of the Creek. I sometimes get into the mode of turning up my music because I want more. I do not get this "pull" when using the Creek. That's not to say that it doesn't sound good cranked up. I was listening to Led Zep. II and cranked it up pretty good (11 on the invisible dial) and it played to very loud levels with not a hint of distortion. Generally between 9 and 10 on the dial is sufficiently loud to fill my listening space (which is an open room plan about 15 feet wide by 30-35 long).

Given the casual listening that I employ when upstairs I don't feel real comfortable about specific descriptions regarding soundstage, instrument placement, and other micro detailed analysis. However, I can say that the Creek's strength is in its midrange while it holds its own in the low end it doesn't truly excel there and I found the highs to be pleasant but potentially a little rolled off. Overall, it has a slightly warm signature but leans more towards neutral than anywhere else. The Creek does PRAT really well and is truly exceptional at maintaining its composure with fast paced rythmic pieces. Although I didn't do any listening with my dynaudio's this piece showed some similar characteristics with the brio-r in regards to PRAT. And imho this is high praise indeed as the brio-r is a little champ when paired with the right speakers.

the creek is actually is very similar to the arcam alpha 10 however the arcam is better in the low end (the arcam really is exceptional here imho) and not quite as strong in the mids and with prat. I like both pieces very much and would highly recommend each for soembody looking for a newer/used piece of kit.

If you can't tell I am currently enjoying the british hi fi sound from my amps as all the pieces I have tend to bring a little extra excitement to music that I like.

There's an old saying, if they can't get the first watt right why would you want more of them? If it sounds great low it will sound great at all levels within it's range. If the first watt sucks then you are amplifying more of it was you turn up the volume.

I just won an auction for a Classic 5350SE. Can't wait! I'll be pairing it with Canton Ergo 1002DC towers. I've found many reviews of the 5350SE; but few of the Classic and I've never heard any Creek, so it's a total act of faith; but I acquired it at a price that I am confident I can recover if we don't get along. I'll probably part with one of my other receivers, a Rotel RX-1052 or a Nakamichi Receiver 2.

I just won an auction for a Classic 5350SE. Can't wait! I'll be pairing it with Canton Ergo 1002DC towers. I've found many reviews of the 5350SE; but few of the Classic and I've never heard any Creek, so it's a total act of faith; but I acquired it at a price that I am confident I can recover if we don't get along. I'll probably part with one of my other receivers, a Rotel RX-1052 or a Nakamichi Receiver 2.

LOL, I bidded in that auction on Ebay. I didn't go after it too hard because I own this exact model in the original design. I would have bought it to flip it if I got it cheap enough but no original box came with it and I didn't like the sellers feedback so I cut off my bid at 399.99. Some people love them others think they are bright or dry sounding. I think it's a decent amp for the money, very coherent, but I love my B&K ST140, Proton D1200, and Technics SA800 better. Much more detailed highs in those Amps.

The 5350SE is almost the exact same as the 5350SE Classic. I prefer the original over these remakes 3 or 4 years later. I'm sure it sounds identical except for removing the record selectors the original had. Mine came new in the box with manual, remote, and phono board. Great sounding amp that has a long break in period. Sounded great out of the box but I packed it away and am still using my other amps. Most of my stuff I buy to collect and take out when I want something different for awhile. Play with a new toy. I have the 5250SE creek too. Creek makes great stuff. Let me know what you think of your new toy.

Last edited:
LOL, I bidded in that auction on Ebay. I didn't go after it too hard because I own this exact model in the original design. I would have bought it to flip it if I got it cheap enough but no original box came with it and I didn't like the sellers feedback so I cut off my bid at 399.99. Some people love them others think they are bright or dry sounding. I think it's a decent amp for the money, very coherent, but I love my B&K ST140, Proton D1200, and Technics SA800 better. Much more detailed highs in those Amps.

The 5350SE is almost the exact same as the 5350SE Classic. I prefer the original over these remakes 3 or 4 years later. I'm sure it sounds identical except for removing the record selectors the original had. Mine came new in the box with manual, remote, and phono board. Great sounding amp that has a long break in period. Sounded great out of the box but I packed it away and am still using my other amps. Most of my stuff I buy to collect and take out when I want something different for awhile. Play with a new toy. I have the 5250SE creek too. Creek makes great stuff. Let me know what you think of your new toy.
Oops! Should I conclude I over paid?
I've considered going the B&K route several times but I worry about their age.

Oops! Should I conclude I over paid?
I've considered going the B&K route several times but I worry about their age.

I was lucky enough to pick a B&KST140 up brand new in the box. Someone bought it and never used it. Most people worry about the capacitors and have them recapped. It's really something that you can do yourself if you're handy with a solder iron. It's said that even new old stock caps need replacement. I think this is overblown. These are solid state units and most can go on a very long time and be fine. As long as there is no leakage or the caps are not swollen you should be ok. Heat is the worse thing for caps. An amp being played where there is poor ventilation will shorten their life. That's the main thing that destroys them, not age. What happens with these older units that are stored a long time is the caps return to out of box condition and you need to burn it in again. Start at lower volume on these older amps for a few days before burning them in at louder levels. The amps have to adjust to your preamplifier, speakers, and other associated gear which present a new load to them. With pre amps they usually just need a good cleaning with deoxit. The strong points of the creek are it's mids and low end. I'm not saying top end is not good, it's just a little closed in instead of open sounding. And I mean slight. Depending on your equipment and set up it may work in your favor. What blows me away about the creeks are their coherency and tonal balance, they do get the first watt right as well as the rest of them. The amp has rhythm. What I mean by coherency is the channel balance remains solid as the dynamic range changes. The tonal balance remains solid through the right and left channels regardless of volume or change in music dynamics and this makes the amp soothing to listen to and gives it a rock solid stereo image from right to left. What you lose is perhaps a touch of dimensional detail in the high end but bass is unbelievably strong yet tight. Mids are best I ever heard. Overall I like the creek better then my proton D1200. Better then the Adcom 545II I owned and Adcom makes great stuff. The B&K ST140 and Technics SA800 I'm biased about. The Creek is probably every bit as good and perhaps better even in the top end but I really never burned it in. It went back in it's box after I played around with it for a short time. Not because I don't like it but because it's my shinny new toy and I have too much stuff. I bit off more then what I can chew collecting so much audio gear...lol. I have about 12 sets of speakers and 7 subwoofers. I have to start investing in some good vinyl. We audiophiles spend so much on gear we forget about the music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom