Crescendo CS3006 Help Needed

I am in the middle of a speaker surround refoam job ( my first.......) and I've hit a bit of a snafu. The old surround on the cone came off cleanly, after a lot of elbow grease, patience and rubbing alcohol. My problem is with the paper/glue around the metal basket/cage. I've seen two different videos. One says remove it down to the bare metal, another says just remove down to the paper and leave paper on.

I thought it best to remove the paper/glue but that is much easier said than done. I only got off a fraction of an inch or so, using a heatgun (i blocked direct heat on cone and used my hand as a gauge if the metal was warming too much). For fear of ruining the things, I stopped there and figured I'd call up the experts.

What do you think? Remove to bare metal? Leave paper on, even if in spots it's inconsistent from the slicing that was done to remove the foam in the first place?

Did I ruin these things?

1 Picture of the 8" woofer, with 1 picture a close up of my terrible attempt at removing down to bare metal. The other woofer is in same condition, only I haven't tried to remove the paper surround. 20170424_210757.jpg 20170424_210850.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Use a chisel shaped blade in a craft knife. McMaster Carr sell these, I'll get you the part number in the morning.

Lee.

I've found the easiest way, for me anyway is to use a wire wheel on a drill that's about the same width as the rim.

Wow, excellent write up and information.

Not to keen on having to remove the inside dust cap. In moving the cone by hand it feels like it always remains centered, if gentling pushing it down and to the side I can feel rubbing. I'd prefer to not have to do the extra shimming and dust cap removal, if I don't need to.

Can I politely ask why you went to all of that trouble as opposed to the 50hz at low volume trick that apparently centers the cone when down the glue to surround?

One method below...to keep the cone extended.

Thank you for all your help.

I picked these speakers up for free with no information from the previous owner (just a free title and a picture from far away). I didn't know what I had till I brought them home and ran a search on the name brand. The surrounds were rotted and so they sounded terrible. You can imagine my excitement to actually hear these things can be repaired. I promptly removed them from my garage stereo and will display them, much to my wife's dismay front and center with our main stereo.

soften w/ goof off, than scrape. works fast an easy. doesn't affect the driver cones either.

I have used lacquer thinner on those IMG cones to clean off the glue. Wet down a rag and keep rubbing and adding thinner. It will come clean. Also good for getting the glue off the baskets. You get a better shot of centering the cones, especially with the 8" and larger units, by removing the center cap and shimming it. Those center caps do come off fairly easily. Just work at it with a fingernail until you get it started and it will soon be off, Takes less than 5 min. They are durable so you don't have to worry about damaging them with your fingernail.

Gerry

You all have been tremendously helpful. Got the woofers refoamed and installed and they sound great. Used the test tone method before, during and after installing the surrounds and than let them sit overnight with Aleenes and clothes pins, as I've seen in photos.

I noticed after that whole project was done that the mid's on one speaker are starting to fall apart....It doesn't appear to be a common size surround however. Does anyone know of a good source for just the surrounds for the mids? I believe they are 902-3770 part number. Since these are smaller, I imagine they are more sensitive to mis-sizing of the surround (either too big or too narrow in MM's).

Thanks for all of your help thus far.

Sorry this is a little late, but Simply Speakers has all the correct foams for Infinity IMG woofers. You can find them on eBay. They're not the cheapest, but they give you the correct glue to use with them. Which is NOT Aleenes. White glue is a real nightmare to use on graphite woofers. You want the clear or black stuff. It sets much quicker, but that's a good thing. You won't need to use clothespins overnight either. If you managed to do an IMG refoam with Aleene's, you'll find doing it with the right glue to be an absolute joy. Good luck!

I appreciate the reply. Good to know about Simply Speakers. I took measurements with digital calipers and I think I found a set of foams that are even closer to the dimensions on flea bay.

I actually used the Aleenes on the woofers and so far so good. I used goof off around the basket (worked fairly well, but was still labor intensive with a narrow wood chisel). I did not use goof off on the cone, it just felt, too aggrasive. Therefore, there was still a bit of residue which was very sticky left on the cone. I think this may have helped with the Aleenes. Also, I left the glue out to dry on the surround for about 10 minutes before pressing on the cone.

Finally, I baby sat them and every couple minutes or so I went around the cone and pressed them done.

They sound great.

Word to the wise use in a VENTILATED area when using Goof Off or Goo Gone. Seriously.

As I said the 8" woofers sound amazing.......

Does anyone have a suggested frequency for the mid's to center the voice coil, is 50/80/100hz better?

Back
Top Bottom