Critical listening: Eyes open, or closed?

Eyes Open, Or Closed?

• Total voters

birddog

Addicted Member
When I get to sit in the big chair in my listening area to enjoy some "Me" time with the music, I'll close my eyes when listening. I find this helps me to block out outside annoyances, and relax better than with my eyes open. I also find that this helps me to envision the individual instruments and their percieved location on the recording.

So, should I be looking for a job with the circus freak show, or do others find that the listening experience is enhanced by closing their eyes.... :scratch2:

It sharpens one sense to do without another for awhile. Your eyes can distract the brain. Best critical listening is done with the eyes closed (especially when the significant other is yelling at me).

It depends. If I'm really getting into the music I might find myself closing my eyes, but I don't seem to make a habit out of it.

Eyes closed, but only when Dave's not around (a local friend of mine who doesn't frequent this board -- he enjoys taunting me by turning up the volume when I'm not looking...not too much though -- he's not mean, just enough to be annoying).

Closed, to minimize distractions and to focus attention to detail. Works for me.
Tom

Per the question: Critical Listening, then yes, 99% of the time it's eyes closed, akin to what OvenMaster said.

Otherwise, it's whatever...

I'm with you sled, if I'm just jamming or whatever I generally keep my eyes open, it makes it easier to find my glass.

With my eyes closed I've tried using batlike squeaks to radar in on it - spill, my vast physic powers to locate it - spill, telekinesis - nothing, telling the SO to hand it to me - batlike squeaking but still no glass.

So by elimination I've found the only time I close my eyes is when I'm "critically" listening. :)

Pete

Eyes Wide Shut

Oh that was a movie. I listen with my eyes open but I'm usually too busy enjoying the music to be critical. :D

Maybe "Critical" was not the right word... I was thinking of those times when you can actually sit and enjoy the music, without having to be concerned with things like the phone, kids, wife, etc bursting your bubble. Those lucky moments when you can put aside all the crap from the day, and just get lost in the music. That's my "Me" time to sit back, close my eyes, and just get lost in music coming from my system, almost seems like a religious experience sometimes, when everything is just right. I try to do this as often as I can, I use it as a form of meditation, one good hour or two of doing that can make me feel as good as a weeks vacation! Hopefully you all get to enjoy these moments as often as possible, with or without your eyes closed!

I'm there....

Maybe "Critical" was not the right word... I was thinking of those times when you can actually sit and enjoy the music, without having to be concerned with things like the phone, kids, wife, etc bursting your bubble. Those lucky moments when you can put aside all the crap from the day, and just get lost in the music. That's my "Me" time to sit back, close my eyes, and just get lost in music coming from my system, almost seems like a religious experience sometimes, when everything is just right. I try to do this as often as I can, I use it as a form of meditation, one good hour or two of doing that can make me feel as good as a weeks vacation! Hopefully you all get to enjoy these moments as often as possible, with or without your eyes closed!

I don't care what anyone says. Music is not visual. Why would you need to look around the room, or read the album while 'listening'?

You can only do ONE thing at a time.

It's better when the lights are off, too.

I don't care what anyone says. Music is not visual. Why would you need to look around the room, or read the album while 'listening'?

You can only do ONE thing at a time.

It's better when the lights are off, too.
Have you ever been to a concert before? Most are pretty visual from my perspective. And while not a major multitasker myself I am able to walk and chew gum at the same time. :D

birddog, never take what I say seriously. :no:

For best focus, closed.:music: I let my mind take in the sound stage and place the instruments accordingly.:smoke::smoke::smoke:

Have you ever been to a concert before? Most are pretty visual from my perspective. And while not a major multitasker myself I am able to walk and chew gum at the same time. :D

birddog, never take what I say seriously. :no:

Concerts are not the same as 'critical listening'. I enjoy the hell out of concerts. I even close my eyes while listening at concerts. But not for long: I like to watch my favorite musicians perform. It's a completely different experience seeing a band on stage.

when you're in your listening room what are you looking at? The freeking wall? The speakers? The TeeVee?

You're wasting energy.

You'll get much much more from your music when the lights are low and your eyes are closed and the volume is the same as the original recording. You can picture the music in your Minds Eye.

Why have vintage, if you are going to close your eyes to it? I prefer eyes open so I can stare at all the pretty dials and meters..:drool:

Meters ain't Music

Why have vintage, if you are going to close your eyes to it? I prefer eyes open so I can stare at all the pretty dials and meters..:drool:

Music exists in space. It's not visual.

I've had this discussion with friends and family for the last 30 years. I can't win. I just feel sad for those missing out on the 'True' musical experience.

Honestly. I feel sad about what they are missing.

(anyway, I think you're joshing me, Marantzfan)

Music exists in space. It's not visual.

I've had this discussion with friends and family for the last 30 years. I can't win. I just feel sad for those missing out on the 'True' musical experience.

Honestly. I feel sad about what they are missing.

(anyway, I think you're joshing me, Marantzfan)

Me? Never..:D

Back
Top Bottom