1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Critters

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by addylo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. K_50

K_50 Member

Gizmo the Siberian Husky in his "natural habitat" - one of the only pieces of relatively untouched nature in or around Copenhagen (which will soon be turned into a building site for even more flats only the rich can afford).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imanoldee and 1970's Fan like this.
  2. 1970's Fan

1970's Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I snapped this little mouse this morning. He was climbing up to get a nut or two for breakfast. Sorry about the fuzzy bottom photo.

Mouse Climbing Fence.jpg Mouse At Nuts.jpg

Eywadude likes this.
  3. K_50

K_50 Member

Gizmo on holiday by the beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1970's Fan likes this.
  4. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Some wildlife passing our back door yesterday... think these were gopher snakes, ballpark around 3' overall.

These two pics were from snake #1, who was camped out on the patio deck right outside our sliding door. Wife spotted it, freaked out (as usual) and I ran out to get pictures (naturally) since it was clearly not a poisonous snake.

file1-1.jpeg file-5.jpeg

I gave it a very light nudge and it headed off in that same direction in no particular hurry. Pretty mellow critter actually, didn't posture or pay any attention to me being there.

About 45 minutes later, snake #2 shows up in pretty much the same place. This one was almost certainly following the scent trail of snake #1 as it was testing with its tongue constantly and never stopped moving. I got a couple of nice video clips of this one cruising along the patio as it followed the same path the first one had taken as it exited the patio. I tracked this one all the way over to our fence line where it slipped under the fence into our neighbor's back yard. Snake #2 was not quite identical to snake #2, but clearly the same species - might have been a few inches shorter and not quite as thick in the heavier part of the body. I am guessing this was a male/female pair, possibly the second one was the male following the female and hoping for some early springtime action (or vice-versa... who am I to assume?).

file2.jpeg

Funny part was while I was taking pictures I could hear the neighbors had some social thing going on in the back, about ten minutes after the 2nd snake went under the fence we heard "Holy crap" so my guess is they spotted at least one of them too.

John

1970's Fan and Eywadude like this.
  5. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

I'm happy to hear you didn't kill them. Too many people do that. Snakes are cool animals too, and they are an integral part nature's balance of pest control. I'd welcome them in my garden. :)

WhiteSE likes this.
  6. jdurbin1

We like our non-venomous snakes... esp. the couple of kingsnakes that have passed through. My wife freaks out regardless of whether they're poisonous or not though.

I have killed one rattlesnake in the past - he was a good-sized dude hanging out near the raised planting beds my wife gardens in. Won't do that any more though, since then I've just had Animal Control come and pick them up for relocation. I like the rodent control and all, but am not willing to put the family at risk and there's so much brush in parts of the yard they're impossible to spot some times - esp. the little baby snakes.

John

Eywadude likes this.
  7. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

Had a small bull snake in the garage today (non-venomous rattlesnake mimic), but I didn't get a good look and wasn't sure, so called the fire department to get it. The responder reminded me to look down when entering the garage or going out onto the patio, as snakes sometimes like to rest just under the door sill. He apologized for being a little tardy - had just come from picking up a Gila monster.

Neighbors had the FD remove a baby rattler from their dog run a week ago.

Snakes don't freak me out, I just am cautious about the venomous kind.

Eywadude likes this.
  8. 1970's Fan

Beautiful dog! I used to think huskies were just another breed of dog but thanks to you tube, the more I see them, the more I like them.

9. 1970's Fan

I'd be tempted to get a mongoose as a pet if we had so many snakes. We only have the adder (which is probably better at maths than me :D) but I've never seen one, thankfully.

10. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Cool. I'm glad to see that you call animal control to have them relocated. Kudos to you. :)

Yeah, you have to be careful about where you step for sure. When I am hiking in rattlesnake territory, I am always careful about where I am placing my next step. They also like hiding at the base of, or underneath logs, rocks, and other large obstructions on and off-trail. It also pays to know what areas they hang out at during different times of the day too. I was hiking in California a few years ago and a friend of mine put his hand down in some brush for stability, well, as it turned out he put his hand within about 2 feet of this guy:

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 2.36.54 AM.jpg

That's a Southern Pacific rattlesnake. It was only a small one; maybe about 18-24 inches long, but still just as dangerous as a full grown one. However, a biologist/reptile expert friend of mine hopped right in the brush with it to snap this picture with my camera. lol :p

11. K_50

K_50 Member

Thanks. Sadly, he's not really mine - he belongs to my sister's ex. But I've been housemates with them his whole life, untill they divorced a few months ago, and was his primary care-giver for 6 months while the ex-in-law was working overseas, so I've grown quite attatched to him.
    I still don't conider myself much of a dog person, but huskies are different - almost cat-like in many ways. He can be a cheeky little bastard, and you can't walk him off the leash if there's live food around (then his instincts take over, and he forgets about everything else), but he's super affectionate, and great with children and other dogs.

1970's Fan likes this.
  12. old_tv_nut

13. old_tv_nut

14. old_tv_nut

15. old_tv_nut

16. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

17. jdurbin1

That is one chill kitty:

18057191_1878750979063448_4259984716623079173_n.jpg

John

classic carl and Eywadude like this.
  18. chicks

chicks Lunatic Member

Backyard Ladybug.

IMG_20170503_194232.jpg

19. restorer-john

restorer-john Super Member

You'd love our 12ft long Carpet Snake that lives in our roof. He's been here for about 17 years and we've never had a rat! He comes out and lies in the sun around my neighbour's pool. I've told the neighbour in no uncertain terms not to kill him (they are protected) as he's 'our' pet and harmless.

Sometimes if he gets a baby possum or some other large creature, he has to wait until it's partially digested before he can squeeze through his hole between the roofing iron and the timber siding.

We have Eastern Browns which are pretty aggressive, and red-bellied blacks and heaps of green tree snakes. They all live happily around us and we love our wildlife.

I will however say the fat fiesty possum that awoke me at 2am last night jumping onto the house and raiding my cat's food didn't impress me.

20. danj

danj modern primitive