Croatian high end turntable

My local audio dealer was talking about these just a couple of days ago and saying he might get one in to see how it is.

If you look at the feedback you can see what $500 bought, and they look to have sold
one of the $2000 TTs recently.

not necessarily bad-mouthing the material but does mdf hang with 'high-end'?

As one component among several, I would say yes due to its known attributes
although I think other makers would be loth to admit its use.

I'm incredibly tempted by their smaller $500 model, the Antares

GLbVkjn.jpg

I've only ever owned Japanese direct drives with integrated tone arms and I'm really curious to hear how one of these would sound with a Signet XK50 and an ATOC9/II.

If they offer any more for sale I'll more than likely buy one provided no one has any horrible reviews up by then. I also don't think these prices will last, something tells me these are introductory and will be more costly this time next year.

edit: In my opinion, they're not ugly, but the nameplate is, I'd just pull it off.

Last edited:
not necessarily bad-mouthing the material but does mdf hang with 'high-end'?

Absolutely. MDF is an excellent material for many high-end audio applications; especially turntable plinths and speaker cabinets.

It's dense, non-resonant, and very precisely and consistently engineered and manufactured. Not to mention easy to work with. No grain means easy to cut and shape. And it doesn't expand or contract with humidity. It's really the perfect material in a lot of settings.

As one component among several, I would say yes due to its known attributes
although I think other makers would be loth to admit its use.

MDF is acoustically "dead" so it's popular is all sorts of audio components. Other MFG's use MDF for bases and I suspect platters. Stable, quiet, relatively uniform so easy to balance... What's not to like?

Absolutely. MDF is an excellent material for many high-end audio applications; especially turntable plinths and speaker cabinets.

It's dense, non-resonant, and very precisely and consistently engineered and manufactured. Not to mention easy to work with. No grain means easy to cut and shape. And it doesn't expand or contract with humidity. It's really the perfect material in a lot of settings.

I'm well aware of the benefits. Any examples of other well known high end table using the mdf?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Good comments here - glad I asked! They all look to be exceptional values...hopefully someone will take a bit of a leap and try one out. I would be seriously tempted if I hadn't taken a bit of a leap myself in that direction recently. So many great choices in turntables now...

jblnut

That looks like a lot of table for the price. I'd love to visit Croatia and would be sure to go with some baggage allowance.

It is, however, very, very ugly.

Agreed. It appears to be aspiring for elegance but is not quite getting there.

Speaking as a marketing/design professional, the poor photography of their products won't help attract high-end consumers either.

I'm well aware of the benefits. Any examples of other well known high end table using the mdf?

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2
I think an easier question would be which high-end 'tables don't use MDF.

I know that Well Tempered turntables (at least the original line, can't speak for the new ones) and Music Hall's flagship models all use constrained-layer damping which is sheets of MDF stacked and glued with layers of some kind of other damping material in between.

VPI's plinths are solid MDF (at least some of them)

And planar style tables such as Regas and Pro-Jects are all made from a single slab of MDF, albeit proprietary in some cases. (Rega plinths are relatively light weight as is part of the design approach)

As I said, I'd actually be interested to know if there are any "high end" tables that don't use MDF. Because I'm not sure what the alternative would be. Acrylic maybe?

Back
Top Bottom