1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Crosley Taking On U-Turn

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by leemelone, Dec 5, 2018.

1. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

No, I wouldn't, but I am not their market. That said, I have wow&flutter meters, test records and test equipment and more often than not, vintage tables need some serious work to hit their rated specs decades on.

Personally, I think we'd be pleasantly surprised with the performance of the C20, but I guess we'll have to wait until Stereophile is brave enough to actually test one.

jrtrent and MCM_Fan like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. olddude55

olddude55 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not only that but how many of the LPs we play are perfectly centered? How many are old and have worn center holes, which means centering is hit or miss?

3. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

This one is quite attractive looking, I think:
    http://www.crosleyradio.com/accessories/product-details?productkey=CF1103&model=CF1103-MA
    I think Crosley makes some neat looking retro interior design items, honestly. Some of them also happen to play records.

I remember they started off selling 1940s looking players, and now they focus on making everything look like its from the 50s and 60s. I've never actually used a Crosley, but hey, more record players in more living rooms means more records on the shelf at the record store, and that benefits me. If I got invited to someone's apartment, and saw something like the crosley dansette knock off, my reaction would be hey cool, this person likes records.. Not oh boy, someone bought a crosley!

That $200 player looks pretty good, if a bit cheaply built (big surprise). Got to hand it to crosley for making it more stylish than the old black plastic stuff.

vwestlife likes this.
  4. vwestlife

vwestlife Well-Known Member

Not due to "opinions", but rather due to abusive trolling.

polypetalous likes this.
  5. MisterDK

MisterDK Active Member

Now, I know that our hero, dear Alex, had ulterior motives - but this always comes to mind when I see or hear of a Crosley:

“What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!”

Those “pitiful, portable picnic players” weren’t held in high esteem fifty years ago, either.
    Nice that Crosley now sees a big enough market to offer better. Time will tell just how much better. ^_^

I don’t know how good either the U-Turn or best Crosley sounds, but I’ve no doubt they both sound OK. Both, at a casual glance, look similar to a Rega. If they sound anywhere near as good as my 30 year old Rega, they’re probably a bargain in today’s money. Certainly a step up from your first picnic player - and a big step up from my first - a Panasonic all-in-one from the early ‘70s. I did spin a lot of Hendrix, Yes and Beatles on it though..

BTW - I do like the look of the best U-Turn - other than the cheap lookin’ tonearm.

6. DustyOldPile

DustyOldPile Vinyl Goddess

If I were U-Turn, I'd be more afraid about the piece of shit Crosley being confused with my design, cheaping my brand, than I would of the actual product itself.

Vinylmasters likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. 91r100gs

91r100gs AK Subscriber Subscriber

Comparing Persimmons to Persimmons.

Grenadeslio likes this.
  8. MisterDK

MisterDK Active Member

Used to have a persimmon tree. Persimmons are awesome.

Grenadeslio and 91r100gs like this.
  9. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I failed to mention I have two Empire 598's as well.

10. tiga

tiga Super Member

Good comment. I think it's a smart move on their part to start selling better quality turntables along with associated furniture. The retro look is in - could drive a lot more people to their products. Plus any increase in new turntables entering the market helps everyone.

vwestlife likes this.