Crown Com-Tech 800 for home use?

Monad

Hi, I'm in a pinch waiting on gear to get fixed and looking for a cheap amplifier solution..

Does anyone have experience with the Crown Com-Tech 800 for home use? They seem pretty beasty https://www.manualslib.com/manual/225224/Crown-Com-Tech-Ct-800.html?page=6#manual
but I really don't know what I'm looking at/ for as far as input specs.

My preamp is a Schiit Freya, looking to push to KEF 105.4s

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

So, typically craigslist, I responded within a few hours or posting, early a.m., 5 units available, said I'd take 2 but possibly more..no reply. Well-timed, I received an email this morning saying my gear was ready for pick up. So, yay, don't need them now but for $150 a unit, it's still kind of bummerish.

There are quite a few Crown users here at AK.
I'm using a Crown myself.
I prefer my gear "easy" to use in my home set up, RCA inputs and standard or 5 way speaker connectors.
I see the Crowns you asked about have neither but if they work for you then all is good.
I called Crown with a question about my preamp (it has normal and high outputs), I did get the impression the higher output of the preamp the better, within reason of course.

Com-Tech's are good sounding amps. Built like tanks too! They spec out a bit differently than the Macro-Tech's of the same era, but they sound very very good. I've used a good number of them over the years in various PA systems and they are very good. I've not used one in a home environment, but see no reason why they wouldn't sound great there too! The Macro-Tech and Micro-Tech amps (very similar to the ComTech's) sound great in home systems. Just a little fan noise to contend with, but .....

... I did get the impression the higher output of the preamp the better, within reason of course.

That is, generally speaking, a basic of gain staging to get the best dynamic range (in terms of signal to noise ratio). Signal hot as possible as early as possible in the chain, without clipping at any point in the chain. Really has nothing in particular to do with pro audio amps, it's just discussed and implemented more in that circle (pro audio) than it is in home/consumer audio.

Well the Specs aren't as good as the older DC series amps or the Reference amps, but they do perform well. They tend to be a little austere and dry on the bottom end, but thats not a bad thing when combined with overly warm woofers. Thats a lot of power for most home systems so be care full. Drop the TT tone arm could kill a HF tweeter or over drive a woofer coil freezing the woofer coil. Any issues proceeding the amp would be amplified causing potential harm to the speakers. So be care full. I used DC-300 A's and PSA2 for over 25years and except for having to have them rebuilt every 10 years they were great for their time. I installed the same Com-tech Amps for AEI in different clubs, restaurants and large retail stores as entertainment, PA, and in some case back ground music system amps with 100's of ceiling speakers. They always worked and out of 100 or so I never had an issue with the amps. The speakers lines could touch each other or either could touch ground. the amps would detect an issue and go into protection or shut down. Once the issue was fixed they fired right back up after cooling down to normal temps. Landry's, Red Lobster, Joes Crab Shack, JC penny, Montgomery Ward, some Dillards and Macys had Crown amps. There 3 other restaurant chains had them too, but I can't remember the names right off. OH Apple Bees, Jaxons, and what's the one that leans toward Tex-mex food and has peanut shells all over the floors ? i Heard some of the Cracker Barrels had the smallest model if they weren't using To a Amps. One of the Shoe stores that played the loud music where they managers wore wireless headsets to announce deals used either Crown or QSC amps. We had some Crown amps in Farah and Blue Bell, Blue Jean sewing factories. Let me tell you thats a challenge playing Mexican music while the operators were pushing material thru their sewing machines and Automated machines were sewing patterns on pockets and guys were cutting 50 layers of material at a time on large tables with vertical cutters looking like they had hack saw blades installed. One time I installed a system for the Border patrol training shooting range where everyone was wearing hearing protection head sets and the PA had to be loud enough to penetrate the the firing and hearing protection to give commands. A bunch of 30 watt PA horns less than 8 ft from the firing and observer positions. Thats about thats about 118 db at 4 ft. or 112 db at 8 ft. Those Crown amps earned their keep. I think their were 50 firing positions and room for 3 or 4 observers behind each lane. There were 6 horns dedicated to each lane. So that would be a total of over 1000 watts for each range. One was for pistols in doors another was for rifles and semi automatic weapons out doors. There was also a Shot gun training area, but I was never involved with that. The were also other ranges I just heard about. White Sands Missle range had quite a few Crown amps at one time, too. SoCrown has a pretty good reputation besides being used for musical groups all types. Personally Prefer QSC, but the differences are pretty small when comparing similar models. Any amp that can drive cheap 70.7 volt transformers without self destructing at full power 24/7 is a great amplifier. 70.7 squared divided by 800 is the impedance the amp is designed to drive. 5000 /800= 50/8= 6.25 ohms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom