cubdogs system

Yes, my original plan was to power my OBs with the Maggie up top and some SS amplification for the Eminence drivers. The Rolls looks interesting. It looks to be a more simple approach than what the minidsp offers. Paul, what are your thoughts as to the pros and cons of each product? As you know the mechanics involved with audio system setup is a thorn in my side. I readily admit I am quite incompetent when dealing with these issues. If you've discussed this in one of the OB threads let me know and I'll have a look there.

Set up with the Rolls would be easy. A single pair of RCA cables from a preamp outputs would connect to the Rolls inputs and then cables from the Rolls HF and LF outputs feed each respective amp. Then you just adjust the crossover and gain to what sounds best. You can even use the Rolls just on the Alphas and run the AN's straight from the Maggie. The Rolls is one of the only affordable active crossovers that uses plain old RCA cables. Not much risk as if it doesn't work or sound right Amazon will take it back, cover the return shipping and even print the UPS label.

The miniDSP I'm told is a great solution but I wouldn't like going into my PC if I wanted to tweak a setting. The nice thing about an analog active is all the controls are at your fingertips.

Many different artists. We have a collection of some 80+ paintings, sculpture, drawings photos, etc. Some is my work as well. The two large painting that flank the fireplace are by Dana Moran. We were/are good friends when we both lived in Denver.

Many different artists. We have a collection of some 80+ paintings, sculpture, drawings photos, etc. Some is my work as well. The two large painting that flank the fireplace are by Dana Moran. We were/are good friends when we both lived in Denver.

very cool

Years back, I had a modest collect of some nice things. Once I got sick, all was lost. :mad:

Bugs me not having nice art on my walls anymore.

two that I miss most
TAY_3653.JPG

mystere.jpg

Those are nice eljr. Art is my first love. I studied art history in college, briefly owned a gallery in Denver, and have shown my own work occasionally. I'm thinking 80 pieces might be a conservative number. I have more art work in my bathrooms than most people have in the entire home. Then there's the stuff in the closets, well you get the idea.

Those are nice eljr. Art is my first love. I studied art history in college, briefly owned a gallery in Denver, and have shown my own work occasionally. I'm thinking 80 pieces might be a conservative number. I have more art work in my bathrooms than most people have in the entire home. Then there's the stuff in the closets, well you get the idea.

To bad you are in IL or I'd invite myself over (good for you though!)

very very cool

I gotta say,music is front and center with me follow by architecture then art.

Still, I see it as one big mural, art, architecture and music.

You're always welcome. If you ever get to Chicago let me know. We're only about 2 hours west. Oregon is a beautiful little town, of 4,000 on the Rock river and we're surrounded by state parks.

Forget about the art, furniture and audio system you have there,... the Labrador Retriever in your avatar rounds out everything perfectly! :jump:

That's Jasper. Sadly we lost him to cancer when he was just eight. He was a big boy weighing in at 135 lbs.! We also had a Great Dane at that time and he outweighed her. We're down to just one dog now a 1 1/2 year olds Golden Retriever Tobey. He's one of the smaller dogs we've lived with weighing only about 85 lbs.

We always name our dogs after artists. Jasper-Jasper Johns, Tobey-Mark Tobey. Dogs are the best! Much more honest than humans.

Wow you have a big boy too! What's he weigh?

That's 'Dark', at his heaviest he was 102lbs but sadly we lost him to cancer at 14. He was the best dog and his personality represented the breed perfectly. The little guy next to him is 'Zapote' (Za-poe-tee) and is named for a South American passion fruit. He is approx. 75lbs and is a wild man who knows no strangers. Both dogs were secured from a Mexican breeder. My brother had Danes but has moved over to rescuing German Short-haired Pointers now.

Certainly don't want to thread crap or hijack but it's funny how one can see and appreciate another dog lover! ;) You are 100% correct, dogs are great family members and I'm glad my kids grew up with them because they show no fear around other dogs. I bet you have your hands full with your young Goldie!

Set up with the Rolls would be easy. A single pair of RCA cables from a preamp outputs would connect to the Rolls inputs and then cables from the Rolls HF and LF outputs feed each respective amp. Then you just adjust the crossover and gain to what sounds best. You can even use the Rolls just on the Alphas and run the AN's straight from the Maggie. The Rolls is one of the only affordable active crossovers that uses plain old RCA cables. Not much risk as if it doesn't work or sound right Amazon will take it back, cover the return shipping and even print the UPS label.

This seems pretty simple even for me. Should I decide to use my Bel Canto monoblocks for the big drivers I assume I could use a splitter of some sort? I have other options available however. I have a feeling that using the BCs might be wasting their potential. How many watts do you advise to drive the Eminence?

You really don't need much power for two Alphas per side. 35 to 50 watts would be plenty.

I said earlier that you'd need Y cables but they aren't necessary ( I wasn't' thinking ) as the

active crossover is connected to the preamp output with a single pair of RCA cables and then

the active is connected to the HF amp and the LF amp via RCA cables.

OK I'm showing off my Grady the g-doodle

P8080054.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I have a couple other SS amps that should work perfectly well.

I saw the edit but for the sake of discussion, say I were to use mono blocks, [at this point I don't believe I will], I would need 3 sets of RCA from the Rolls to the amps. I'd have to look at the Rolls again but I didn't think it had enough outputs to do that. This is where I was thinking I'd need a splitter.

Mono blocks are not treated differently than a stereo amp. It's just that they don't share the same chassis and power supply. Each block is a mono amp and one gets the left signal while the other gets the right signal. If I have single cables I use them. If I don't I just peel a stereo cable in two so it will reach.

paramours3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom