Cure for the ribbon tweeter bug?

Yes all the CS Video center speakers have the EMIT-R since they were specifically designed to go with (and timbre match) the Crescendo CS series.

Awesome, thank you.

Found the spec sheet, 6 ohm's the CS3006's I have are 8? What gives?

Can anyone comment on the dialogue quality on these?

I'm still away from home for holidays but when I get back to NW Arkansas end of this week, there is one of those Infinity centers at a local pawn shop that has the EMIT tweeter I could go check out again. I believe it's the Delta center but not sure. At any rate IIRC it was a pretty good price, and it's been there a good while so it may be able.to be had for a song. If you're interested.

If you happen to swing by there please let me know! The ebay item sold, I'm an idiot, shoulda paid full asking of $85.00.

Apogee Centaur (or any Apogee). Most "ribbon-y" sound I've ever heard, by far! Probably no coincidence that they use a HUGE ribbon.

I bought and sold mine for cheap, stupid! Was afraid of damaging them in a move across the country. Should have figured out a good way to pack them...it'll cost me at least 5x what I sold them for to buy them again.

My experiences with ribbon speakers is they are crisp and bright and you get very tired of listening to them. It's like listening to your Wife shrilling in your ear for 10 minutes, and not in a good way. I feel a good dome tweeter is the way to go. If you ever get the chance, listen to some old ADS L1290's. These are a great example of what dome drivers can sound like.

My experiences with ribbon speakers is they are crisp and bright and you get very tired of listening to them. It's like listening to your Wife shrilling in your ear for 10 minutes, and not in a good way. I feel a good dome tweeter is the way to go. If you ever get the chance, listen to some old ADS L1290's. These are a great example of what dome drivers can sound like.

I've not heard many ribbon tweeters, but I did not get that "shrill" sound at all, from the Apogee speakers. Then again, I may have some HF hearing loss, so maybe it just didn't bug me. We all hear differently. I still highly recommend Apogee to be the cure for any ribbon bug.

If you happen to swing by there please let me know! The ebay item sold, I'm an idiot, shoulda paid full asking of $85.00.

Well I'm sorry to be the bearer of more bad news, but that center sold :( Must have been within the last couple weeks. It was there literally for months, then as soon as u need it it's gone. Isn't that the way it always goes! Best of luck in your continued search, I'll keep my eyes peeled as well...

I've not heard many ribbon tweeters, but I did not get that "shrill" sound at all, from the Apogee speakers. Then again, I may have some HF hearing loss, so maybe it just didn't bug me. We all hear differently. I still highly recommend Apogee to be the cure for any ribbon bug.
Ha. Try listening at 100+db, like my Wife, and then tell me it's not shrill.

Well I'm sorry to be the bearer of more bad news, but that center sold :( Must have been within the last couple weeks. It was there literally for months, then as soon as u need it it's gone. Isn't that the way it always goes! Best of luck in your continued search, I'll keep my eyes peeled as well...

There's another Infinity Kappa Video Series ii Center Channel speaker on eBay (not mine). Decent price too.

If it's the same one I saw, the woofers need refoaming in addition to a high shipping price... combined with his starting asking price, not worth it IMO.

They're not easy to find, but Phillips briefly ran a series of modern speakers in the MCD line with ribbon tweeters. I'd love to hear a pair of MCD 908's or 702's to hear what a nice looking but apparently cheap ribbon tweet sounds like. I've been lusting after a pair of Infinities with a dome mid and ribbon tweeter, but those go for bank.

It would probably help if the OP gave us his location (or a general proximity thereof) so we could help search in and around his area.
I have come across a couple more CS Video centers on FB Marketplace, craigslist etc just doing a broad search. They are out there....

43000486_10212995360854783_3171952048107159552_n.jpg

Sorry folks I didn't see any response for a few days and hadn't checked back in. I am really kicking myself for not picking up the one at $85.00. Yes, the Kappa I put in an offer, but it's got a 60.00 shipping price, needs new woofers and boldly states "UNTESTED". I don't mind a refoam job or even soldering but if the tweeter is fried that it's ruined for me. Plus it's $160 for a gamble.

I am located outside Philadelphia.

Found a pair of Reference Five's need refoam, for 80.00. Maybe they could replace my CS 3006's as true Home Theater Fronts. Or I could butcher them and make myself a center with Emit?

Found a pair of Reference Five's need refoam, for 80.00. Maybe they could replace my CS 3006's as true Home Theater Fronts. Or I could butcher them and make myself a center with Emit?

Reference Five's are nice and that's a good price for them, even though they need foam. The Reference series is not as nice as the Crescendo overall (vinyl vs real wood veneer, not as much internal bracing) but the better Reference series (Four, Five, Six) use the same drivers as the Crescendos (IMG woofers and EMIT tweeters). With all that said, you'll get more bass out of the Reference Fives due to the fact that they're a larger floor stander rather than a bookshelf, but sound quality is probably about the same as the CS 3006.

Hypothetically, would a horn tweeter be a better match than a soft dome tweeter for EMIT-R's? I can't seem to find a Kappa video or CS Video anywhere for a reasonable price. I am thinking specifically of the BIC FH6-LCR.

Let's see. There's an Infinitesimal Video Center on eBay now (not mine). It's the only Emit center that I see.

Maybe branch out a bit, in the hunt. Martin Logan builds several planar ribbon center speakers. The Motion Series has several; there's at least the 8, 30, and 50. There's also the earlier Vignette center, and the 3-way Fresco center, which uses planar midranges and tweeters. Bohlender-Graebener (BG Radia) has similar planar center speakers too. So, don't give up just yet!

Back
Top Bottom