D-class amplifier low level static

Joe DeQuarto

Good evening everyone,
I have a quick question.
System: music hall 5.3 se, parasound p/hp preamp, episode 150 watt bridged amps, dahlquist DQ-12
I just replaced RCA cable from turntable to preamp, and preamp to amps.
I am hearing a very low level static out of left channel and barely recognizable static out of right channel changing records.
I checked the ground from TT to preamp, everything is going through the same electrical circuit, all connections were cleaned before replacing cables.
The reality is it is very minor but “I” hear it, and it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!
The amps are not a permanent system component but funds are not there for permanent amplification.
Does anyone have any ideas that might end this static??
Thanks Joe

So does your preamp include a phono stage?

I would try isolating each part of your chain to see if the issue remains - including the RCA cable and preamp.

Sounds like it might be some extrinsic electrical interference possibly?

Thanks for the response.
My preamp does have a phono stage, which i am using with a Grado Black cartridge.
Interesting enough when i swapped the Grado in for a broken stylus ortofon red, i noticed a major decrease in output level resulting in volume knob being turned up much higher than it was with ortofon.
I wrote it off as different cartridge, different ouput.
I purchased preamp approx 4 mos. ago brand new in box and burned in exactly they way manufacture recommended.
I do notice if i shutdown preamp before amps noise goes away.

If you dont have anything connected to the preamp turntable signal input, and turn the volume up, is the noise still there?

I will disconnect RCA’s too turntable when i get home tonight and check for noise.
Thank you, will keep everyone posted

Ok everyone, the plot thickens!!
I disconnected RCA jacks to preamp from TT, still have noise.
I disconnected RCA jacks from preamp to amp noise gone????

well, the noise seems to be generated by-at the preamp. You could discard the cable itself, same setup and different RCA cable.

Also, short the preamp inputs, so the input is not capturing-amplifying noises from the air.

Back
Top Bottom