DAC for Raspberry Pi 2 B+

HiFiBerry is good. I use the HiFiBerry digi board to an external DAC, but the HiFiBerry DAC is good too.

If you're looking for a HAT, I would recommend the Allo DAC.

I use an external DAC, but prefer the Allo DigiOne to a previously owned HiFiBerry board.

I currently am using this PiFi DAC from China with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and Volumio, controlled via Volumio app on Android. It's very similar to the HifiBerry "standard +", whereas the "pro" version has 2 clocks. There are also several more Raspberry Pi DACs located there. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
For Raspberry pi 3B + using Voulmio 2.0 streaming software. The Allo Kali Reclocker with Piano 2.1 DAC. It takes some common sense to configure, but when you have it configured right. The two PCM5142 DAC's can deliver 384 kHz/32bit. With a very impressive SNR of 112dB.
Using this setup with my Eico ST 70 rebuilt amplifier, playing my hi res vinyl 24bit 96k or 192k files sounds amazing. Cleary detailed and with great stereo
Separation.

I am using a HiFime 9018 Optical DAC with my RPi. To use with the RPi It requires a USB to optical converter. I use a S.M.S.L. X-usb Digital Audio Interface for that purpose. Both units are small (like the Pi) and inexpensive. Together they put out very detailed sound.

I ordered this:

I've got one. Volumio recognises it as a HiFiBerry DAC+

Works fine, including hardware volume control.

I'll leave the subjective reviews to the golden ears types; mine aren't.

The genuine HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro ought to be better, as it provides the clock, rather than using a clock generated by the Pi. And, at £33, it's not exactly expensive.

Back
Top Bottom