DAC for streaming

bjlefebvre

Hey all,

Now that my analogue system is complete, I'm going to start looking at DACs. Most of my digital listening comes via streaming - my CDs are in storage and to be honest I don't even have a CD player anymore. I don't have a laptop that's good for audio files, either - I use a Chromebook. I'm a relative DAC noob and was wondering whether my prioritization on streaming mean that there is a certain subset of DACs that I should be looking at? If all I'm going to be doing is streaming from a Chromecast to the DAC, is there a danger of overkill by going too high up the chain? Right now I'm looking at a Schitt Bifrost Multibit or a used PS Audio NuWave or possibly a used Auralic Vega.

Thanks,
Ben

I am not aware of any subset of DACs specifically made for streaming. Rather, a DAC chipset spec tends to be the driver. As long as the DAC chipset can handle the streaming signal specification then it's a matter of finding the one that sounds best to you. I don't think you'll find one that won't handle all streaming signals.

In my opinion, the Schiit would be a great choice then the Auralic Vega. I have no experience with the PS Audio unit so can't comment on that.

What connection do you plan on using from your source to the DAC?

I really like my Bluesound Node 2.

I do not feel I need an external DAC for it.

I believe you would need the ability to run Android apps on your Chromebook.

Nope. I can cast Spotify from my phone or Chromebook to the Chromecast, which plugs into the DAC.
I got a line on a used Gunginir. Reading up on that one now....

Ok, now I have a choice between the Gungnir sigma-delta and a PS Audio NuWave, both available at the same price. This is driving me crazy....

I've had a few and don't notice much difference. I used a Musical Fidelity VDac until the USB inputs crapped out and them bought an SP/DIF converter and ran it Toslink. I also had a Emotiva XDac and didn't see any night and day differences aside from it's massive size, remote and input capabilities, all which were irrelevant to me. I sold it and bought a Schit in BT and it works fine. If it's asychronous and 24/96 capable, I'd get one and get familiar with it, and let the format sort itself out. No need to be cutting edge if something new comes along next week.

Last edited:
I've had a few and don't notice much difference. I used a Musical Fidelity VDac until the USB inputs crapped out and them bought an SP/DIF converter and ran it Toslink. I aldo had a Emotiva XDac and didn't see any might and day aside from it's massive size, remote and input capabilities, all which were irrelevant to me. I sold it and bought a Schit in BT and it works fine. If it's asychronous and 24/96 capable, I'd get one and get familiar with it, and let the format sort itself out. No need to be cutting edge if something new comes along next week.

Which brings us to MQA http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/is-mqa-in-your-future.804274/
Have you thought about it? I'd be inclined toward Andyman's suggestion, and ignore it for a while. OTOH, you might want to be prepared, just in case...

I have a PS Audio Nuwave and really enjoy the sound that it produces. I use it with a MacBook and a Olive cdp/ music server. Smooth sound that helps get the most out of the formats I have.

I have a PS Audio Nuwave and really enjoy the sound that it produces. I use it with a MacBook and a Olive cdp/ music server. Smooth sound that helps get the most out of the formats I have.
Thanks. I don't suppose you ever had a chance to compare it to any of the Schitt DAC, have you?

I had one of the small Schitt DACs several years ago. One of my first stand-alone DACs. No comparison. Of course, the Nuwave is ten times the price. I like the Schitt but it was basic and, to my ears, didn’t have the bass punch I like.

I recently purchased a Schitt Bifrost Multibit... I can only compare it to to DVD player in a Lenovo T430 which has the Realtek ALC3202... and a Fiio X1 with the PCM5142... the sound quality of the Bifrost is Night and Day better than the Lenovo... and only slightly better then the Fiio X1.. I was expecting a more pronounced improvement with the Bifrost over the Fiio X1 but it did to my ear sound very slightly "fuller" when going back and forth. I am playing a variety of digital music that i ripped from CDs and sore as FLAC. The speakers as Sonist Audio 4s, Blue Jeans Cables and the preamp may be the weak link... it is a cute little Superscope A-225 that was serviced locally. Other than that, the bifrost is beautiful, my only concern so far is that the Bifrost cycles its LED input lights searching for a signal from the source. Sometimes this cycling is instant, sometimes I have wait 30 seconds, sometimes i have to reboot Jriver multiple times... very annoying, but this could be an issue with Jriver or the Laptop I suppose... need to run that down. Not sure I would buy again, kind of on the fence about it... will also note that I found the shipping very annoying... they sent it in a way that required that someone personally had to sign for it. So I could not sign the slip and leave it on the door, and so being single and living alone, was faced with taking a day off work. That certainly added to the effective cost of the unit.

At $99 it's hard to beat the Topping D30. I actually prefer it to my Schiit Modi MB which cost $150 more.

You can reach the point of diminishing returns faster with DAC's than with any other gear.

I recently purchased a Multbit and like it very much so far. Fed EX just left it on the porch...no more FEDEX for me..

Pulled the trigger on the used Gungnir, the DS version. It was cheaper than a new Bimby. I'll give it a listen and can sell again for something else if need be.

Back
Top Bottom